Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 11:54 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times

Advertisements

I will most likely need to work until I croak. Whatever little I have in savings would probably go to funding my cremation or whatever. Most in my family died with no money or assets and basically lived on social security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 11:54 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
If you are an older person with some accumulated wealth but no kids in the horizon nor a life long partner, what do you plan to do with your assets when you die? Charity? Family members?
My $52 will be split evenly between Wikipedia and Doctors Without Borders. And they'd better be grateful for it, there are plenty of other places it could go to, like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation! But I figure it's best not to dilute the impact by splitting it up too much.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:12 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
To anyone leaving assets to a child for when they're grown: Do you worry that the sweet child might grow up to be a horrid person? My sister hid the fact her teen son was a criminal from my parents. So with their and her passing, I was forced to give this now grown nephew some of my parents money. I had to send it in care of a PRISON!

My dad would have put a provision in their trust to exclude him, if he'd known. No one wants to think their grandkids will turn to crime, but you never know. If there isn't a way to make sure this doesn't happen, there should be. I'm lucky my boys are grown and awesome members of society, or I'd look for a way to avoid this same scenario.
Well, look at it this way. Maybe he will mature in prison, not everyone gets worse from the experience ..... maybe he will use the money to start a small business. A legal one. If he gets released the usual way without a job, he would almost have to turn back to crime to make a decent living.

You could help by dropping him a few hints in the mail, pointing out how well one of your friends did with her coin-op laundry, or how another one started a locksmith business (he might already have some of the necessary skills!).

Old 06-29-2015, 12:40 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,713,604 times
This thread is depressing or gave me for few min different perspective of life. Why am I working so hard? for whom will I leave anything behind? Maybe I should pack my bag, quit my job and devote myself to enjoy life and helping others now so in my old age I don't have to scratch my head figuring out where my hard earned money will go. Even those with kids, sometimes the kids aren't deserving.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:48 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,305,759 times
We are DINKS and when we retire we will become DRINKS. Whatever we don't spend...

SPCA and local wildlife refuge. St Jude was my dads favorite charity and they will also get a nice chunk of $$$.

Nieces and nephews will get some...

Whoever said let it go back to the govt. has to be joking...

MikeG

Old 06-29-2015, 02:11 PM

708 posts, read 721,907 times
Donate it to charities if you have no relatives that need it. Animal shelters, women shelters, orphanages, churches,
or community college would be a good start. You will feel good about yourself too!

Old 06-29-2015, 04:59 PM

658 posts, read 848,157 times
I hope to spend most of my wealth before I die.

I have little cousins who I am watching to see how they turn out. I might leave them something.

I have good friends who are my current beneficiaries, along with their wonderful familes.

All is not lost uf you don't have children to 'pass wealth' along to.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:00 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
If you are an older person with some accumulated wealth but no kids in the horizon nor a life long partner, what do you plan to do with your assets when you die? Charity? Family members?
I've been thinking about this for years and just don't know.

I need to make a decision and do a will.

I have siblings, but two will probably be deceased by the time I go, and the remainder don't deserve anything (long story....although I do care for them). My father will be deceased, I'm sure.

Charity? But I would want some personal belongings to go to nieces and nephews and such.

I just don't know. I've had one good friend for years. We've had our unpleasant moments, but she's been there for me, and me for her. So maybe her?

Old 06-29-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
unless I get kids, mine would just go to the state, I don't really mind it going back to them since they will have provided me a good life with pension checks every month and a stable country to live in.

but that's decades away so anything can change.

why do you think it is bad to just return money to the government? At least they help a lot more people than targeted audiences like a charity
That way, they'll have more money to give Exxon its subsidy!

Old 06-29-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
like i said, being in the us is a lot better than being in other places, maybe not the best but so far the us has been good to me. i had college paid for with federal scholarships and grants so no debt. i have a federal job so i have a fairly stable job. i havent been shot at, or robbed so the police functions pretty well in keeping me safe. really, i dont have a whole to to gripe at.

sure i could help one or two families, but so what does that do to help keep them safe? having money is just a means of buying things, you dont need it to live a good life but you do need a good governement that isnt corrupt or collapsing every decade to build a life and wealth.

so no, i might not even help the budget 1%, but so what?
You already paid for those things with your taxes.

If you "let it go back" to the govt, it will go to the state, after quite a few expenses are taken out to take it through the court system. The state will not give it to your local P.D. or the federal govt (for that scholarship and grant you got). It will go in the general budget to pay for debt, or to run the insurance dept and other departments, etc. Which, BTW, you've already contributed to, through your state taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance