Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 05:21 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times

Advertisements

Here's one that's often overlooked: Kiva - Loans that change lives.

They (you) provide micro-loans for small businesses in third world countries ..... for example, enough money for a widow to buy a milk cow in India, or to buy food from a farm or wholesale and sell it at market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 06:15 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Oh my goodness, you didn't really say that did you?

The government is funded by the taxpayers, not the other way around. You worked for your pension checks, SS, Medicare, etc., so you are not "returning" anything that wasn't yours to begin with.

If you want to help people (i.e. those who you think are deserving, not some politician pandering for votes) donate it to charities that help the causes you believe in.
If you are politically conservative, you don't want the government giving away welfare to the leach/entitlement class. If you are liberal, maybe you do not want your money going to fund more weapons of war.
Instead give it to a cause/s you believe in. One of my favorite charities is the Make a Wish Foundation which gives wishes to terminally ill children.

The bottom line is that I'd rather my money to go anywhere other than the government, which will likely inefficiently waste it, vs. going to worthwhile charities or even a friend (if I didn't have siblings of kids).

`
since you felt the need to pm me a link to your response... I'll respond too...

Like I said before you might think you earned the money without government help but try doing it in another country that isn't stable with a good business environment. See if you have enough leftover to even consider leaving money.

Second, the government helps a lot more people than charities so I don't know why you think a charity would be more effective

Lastly, you said that the government is funded by taxpayers... okay so why wouldn't you want the government that help you become successful to be funded for future generations?

Edit: I'll also add that I'm tax funded too...

Old 07-04-2015, 10:42 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
since you felt the need to pm me a link to your response... I'll respond too...
I am not sure why you felt compelled to publicly state I PM'd you, but I am glad you responded.

Like I said before you might think you earned the money without government help but try doing it in another country that isn't stable with a good business environment. See if you have enough leftover to even consider leaving money.

Unreal, you sound like Obama and other leftist kooks. You really need to read the Federalist papers to see that our Constitutional Republic is based on the citizens creating the government, not the other way around. Anything that the government so called created, was with the citizens money. So even though many wish to credit President Eisenhower with the interstate highway system, it was our will and money that created it.
Yet, even though those roads may have allowed greater interstate commerce, it did not create the vision, drive, hard work, etc. to make XYZ trucking company. That came from the individual through their efforts, not the government.
So yes, the owner of XYZ trucking did build that, despite the liberal notion Obama and his koolaid drinkers try to make the witless believe.

Second, the government helps a lot more people than charities so I don't know why you think a charity would be more effective

I could say something here, but instead let me make you have a bit of self discovery. Show us via whatever source you think you can find, that the government helps more people than charities do?
[BTW - I don't mean the billions poured into failed social programs that were high on emotions, yet bereft of substance and a sinkhole of untold riches pissed down the drain]

Lastly, you said that the government is funded by taxpayers... okay so why wouldn't you want the government that help you become successful to be funded for future generations?

Interesting. Why not ask why someone like Buffett, Gates, and others want to leave most of their money to charitable causes vs. giving it to the government. Sure they talk a good game saying the rich like themselves should be taxed more for the common good. Fine, they are entitled to feel that way. However it is evident by the actions, not their words that they do not write a check for what they owe, and another bonus check for millions of dollars each year to the federal government. You want to know Why?
Aside from thinking their charities will have less waste and do more good to the specific things they value, they are bloody hypocrites.
Nothing precludes them from putting their money where their mouth is, and voluntarily giving a lot more money per year in taxes than what they owe. Instead, like all good liberals (especially those riddled with guilt), they want other people to be forced to give their money to the government.
You really need to read a book exposing the liberal hypocrisy, called "Do As I Say, Not As I Do";

http://www.amazon.com/Do-As-Say-Not-.../dp/0767919025

So despite you drinking some of the koolaid, read that book and then tell me if you are an addict, or that serves as a wake up call to go into rehab.

`

Old 07-05-2015, 10:54 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
It's surprising to me how many people intend to leave the preponderance of their fortunes to animal-related causes/charities. Have we given up on humans?
Pretty much, yeah. I would rather give $500 so that a litter of feral kittens can be fed, cared for and delivered to loving homes than see that money wasted on a brat who refuses to work, demands a check and is utterly confident that in so doing he is superior to the rest of mankind.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:54 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I agree!

Comprehensive spay and neuter/sterilization laws for irresponsible people would go a long way to alleviate the problem of abused and neglected children.

{Sorry, I couldn't resist! }
SPAY AND NEUTER PEOPLE

Old 07-06-2015, 11:45 AM

2,284 posts, read 3,940,157 times
One brother has a son, and the other has a daughter. My 13-year old niece is aloof. In contrast, my 12-year old nephew loves to visit, sleep over and call. My assets are going to my nephew. He's slightly autistic, mostly socially awkward. I'm not sure how his condition will affect him in adulthood. So I just want to give him a helping hand, while I'm alive and after my death, to keep his life as grounded as possible. I also may leave funds to the cemetery where my family is buried. It's a non-profit and doesn't break even. I just want the graves of my family members to be maintained.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:41 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,933 times
I have maxed out so many rep points in this thread!!!

Even people who do have children should consider the "what if". I only have 1 child so if the 3 of us go at the same time like in a car accident (not entirely unreasonable), I currently have provisions for my brothers or their surviving heirs. But after reading this thread, I think I would prefer to make some animals very rich... Oh, and Jesus should probably get some too, sort of like tipping the maitre d' to get a good table. ;-)

Somewhere earlier in this thread, someone had mentioned having to name a relative who was to not receive anything from the estate. That's equally important, especially when that person could argue they have a claim. I have a few people named in my will for those reasons too!

Old 07-07-2015, 08:00 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
FYI, you should leave the unfavored person $1 in your will; otherwise they can legally contest their total exclusion from it. Leave the rest to the innocent and deserving homeless animals!

Old 07-08-2015, 09:39 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
My lawyer said that I should specifically name the person who is to be left nothing, that the $1 is not necessary.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:44 PM

488 posts, read 819,994 times
You can also use some wording like this, if you prefer not to explicitly name anyone. Of course, naming them and leaving $1 will work if you want to **** them off from your grave.

"The Grantor has provided for everyone he wishes to in this this Declaration of Trust. If anyone is excluded, it is intentional, not inadvertent."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance