Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 02:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I'm going to buy small pieces of land scattered all over the country, and stash it in 10-15 different investment accounts so no one can track it all down.
BTDT... I have small rural rentals in desirable destination areas that spin off positive cash flows, + have a free place for me to stay. I can deduct my travel and 1/2 my food expenses when visiting my places and doing repairs. (I usually fly). I plan to sell them on contract at some point (income for me if mortgage rates go up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I want to start a foundation. I ./..I'm thinking my foundation should keep going after the worst lawyers, doing whatever it takes to get them disbarred, .. If that doesn't work, maybe I will rise up out of my grave and bite some lawyers.
On a more serious note...(I'm all for disbarring leeches (lawyers)!)Foundations are expensive and troublesome to create and maintain. For most, a Donor advised fund is ezr, and you can designate a friend to 'gift in perpetuity'. I use this https://www.vanguardcharitable.org/ (After 20 yrs of going through the 'wringer' of a community foundation) YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
What do people plan to do with heirloom quality furniture? ... take care of it, and pass it along. But who?
We have a lot of pioneer furniture from grandparents and older. Kids aren't interested YET, but we have friends who have places for our stuff, or they will find good homes for it. (They are collectors of sorts, but not professional). They have wonderful homes that show heirloom furniture well. We are all 'Hospitality Guest home focused' so these treasures get shared and used with our travelers from around the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
Interesting thread. I read an article several months ago that said that more and more of us Americans are choosing to remaining single and childless---mostly by choice.

I think that if you have no partner and no kids that you should adopt a kid who has nothing and no one. Give them the gift of family, and leave them the money and the stuff also.
There are MANY great ways to do this without adopting your own child (tho that is a good idea if reasonable to you). I have a 91 yr old friend that funded 12 yrs education for a poor family in Tibet. He went back and enjoyed graduation this yr. Kids were so appreciative, they would have not had that opportunity otherwise. Another friend working in Swaziland adopted 12 kids and started a dairy farm for them and equipped them to do likewise. The have spread the benefit to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 02:45 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
honobob, I didn't mean to "like" your comment... In my experience, people make their OWN problems, and I'm not inclined to bail them out. You're correct that they also make problems for helpless animals through their selfishness and stupidity, but the animals aren't to blame for that and deserve our help... They are completely defenseless, and I wish to do all I can to alleviate or end their needless suffering.

People, eh? Good luck to them!
You misunderstood my post. My dogs are all rescues. I have a problem with the "rescue business". We could stop the euthanizing of millions of dogs annualy with a few simple laws. It could be a pilot
program for children.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:05 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
You misunderstood my post. My dogs are all rescues. I have a problem with the "rescue business". We could stop the euthanizing of millions of dogs annualy with a few simple laws. It could be a pilot
program for children.
Well, good luck getting those laws passed, especially in the southeast, and good luck getting people to obey them even when and if they're passed. Meanwhile, animals suffer through no fault of their own...

I'll do what I can to help them, if I have any money left over.

Granted, I too have issues with shelters, how they are run, and in fact their whole mission. I happen to believe that death isn't the worst thing that can happen to a homeless pet; it's being placed in the wrong hands, which is why I'd rather fund my own version of a "rescue" than any of the existing organizations.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:07 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
program for children.
I agree!

Comprehensive spay and neuter/sterilization laws for irresponsible people would go a long way to alleviate the problem of abused and neglected children.

{Sorry, I couldn't resist! }

Old 06-30-2015, 03:51 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
I love pets but now they are gone however in the life and remember them I did a chapel chair in there honor. The good it made me know they did good

Old 06-30-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
I love pets but now they are gone however in the life and remember them I did a chapel chair in there honor. The good it made me know they did good
Aw; I love that!

Old 07-01-2015, 12:04 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,147,427 times
I think I'd request for a close friend to fund anything that looked remotely worthy on Kickstarter. I'd rather fund people's dreams and aspirations than give to charity. I've always been a big fan of the saying "don't feed problems and starve opportunity".

Old 07-01-2015, 12:39 PM

Those of you entrusting your pets to a 'friend' along with money, better build in some oversight; I've seen too many of these pets end up in shelters after all (not sure what happens to the money that's supposed to support them for life).

Old 07-03-2015, 03:02 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Those of you entrusting your pets to a 'friend' along with money, better build in some oversight; I've seen too many of these pets end up in shelters after all (not sure what happens to the money that's supposed to support them for life).
I have known my friends who I am leaving my pets and money to since 1979. They have been my best friends all of these years.

They are huge animal lovers and have many pets of their own, all rescues, just like mine. In fact, some of my pets have been animals they rescued and talked me into taking, LOL.

However, you are right, people need to use caution.

If my friends die before I do, then I will most definitely need to build in some legal oversight as you have suggested, a very wise thing to do.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:32 PM

16,550 posts, read 8,589,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
unless I get kids, mine would just go to the state, I don't really mind it going back to them since they will have provided me a good life with pension checks every month and a stable country to live in.

but that's decades away so anything can change.

why do you think it is bad to just return money to the government? At least they help a lot more people than targeted audiences like a charity
Oh my goodness, you didn't really say that did you?

The government is funded by the taxpayers, not the other way around. You worked for your pension checks, SS, Medicare, etc., so you are not "returning" anything that wasn't yours to begin with.

If you want to help people (i.e. those who you think are deserving, not some politician pandering for votes) donate it to charities that help the causes you believe in.
If you are politically conservative, you don't want the government giving away welfare to the leach/entitlement class. If you are liberal, maybe you do not want your money going to fund more weapons of war.
Instead give it to a cause/s you believe in. One of my favorite charities is the Make a Wish Foundation which gives wishes to terminally ill children.

The bottom line is that I'd rather my money to go anywhere other than the government, which will likely inefficiently waste it, vs. going to worthwhile charities or even a friend (if I didn't have siblings of kids).

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance