Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 04:22 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I have no living relatives, and few close friends. Yet this paucity of direct human companionship is all the more reason to invest in humanity in the large. My current plan is to leave most of my material wherewithal to the university from which I obtained my graduate degree. The idea is to endow a few professorships, maybe fund scholarships, or (if the stock market holds up) a new building or two.
To be named after you, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 04:26 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
It's surprising to me how many people intend to leave the preponderance of their fortunes to animal-related causes/charities. Have we given up on humans? And most of the animals in question are pets - bred for the pleasure (in my opinion, selfish pleasure) of humans.

I have no living relatives, and few close friends. Yet this paucity of direct human companionship is all the more reason to invest in humanity in the large. My current plan is to leave most of my material wherewithal to the university from which I obtained my graduate degree. The idea is to endow a few professorships, maybe fund scholarships, or (if the stock market holds up) a new building or two.
I look at it this way.........

A good deal of my income has always gone to human charity via TAXES.

That is more than enough.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:55 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Nieces and nephews. They get to be one of those people whose rich uncle dies. They are all pretty successful people, so it won't mean that much to them.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:28 PM

6,395 posts, read 6,282,580 times
While I'm relatively young, this is a good thread to remind me to get on estate planning.

I would roll over in my grave if i knew that any of the money I've work so hard for went to any of my relatives. I don't have many and the ones I do have had a verbal contract to pay me for taking care of their mother (my grandmother) and so I quit my job to do so yet kept my apartment and had other expenses. When she died, both of her kids who make over 100k per year and my mother always got by because I used to give her money when needed, all literally gave me a big "F-U" and told me that I should have "done it anyways" (?!) and "you are not getting a Fn thng."

Needless to say, this ruined my business and finances and I have not yet recovered. I have no siblings, the cousins never once visited when she was dying and I don't really know my dad's side.

When i finally have savings again, anything left will go to mental health support and research organizations. Preferably ones that specialize in PTSD and depressive disorders. Don't know which ones yet.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:52 PM

22,229 posts, read 19,238,916 times
i have grown children but they are very well off already from previous family inheritance, so i am not leaving them any funds.
all my funds are going to a publishing house in Israel in support of Torah

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-28-2015 at 07:04 PM..

Old 06-28-2015, 07:31 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
Anyone I want to!
At present, it's all charities that I like. I'm leaving my house (if I'm still in it when I die) to the man who built it, who has been a great support and help to me as a homeowner.
Art collection to a fund at the vet school for people who don't have the money to take care of their sick animals in the E.R.

It's so nice to think of gifting someone. Send your hairdresser's kid to college, or leave a present for the local librarians to go out on the town. A gift for a housecleaner who has done a great job for years.

It's endless who you can help and give a treat to. I wish people would think of this instead of searching their brains for some distant blood relative. After all, it's not a requirement unless you really want to give something to relatives, whether you have kids or not.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:33 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
My will specifies that nothing go to my sister. My lawyer asked if we had a "falling out," and I said we never had a "falling in." I don't like her and I specifically don't like her materialism, financial envy and downright greed. Apparently, listing her by name in the will is necessary as she will be my only next of kin if she outlives me.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:37 PM

488 posts, read 819,994 times
Friends and relatives in need, charities (cancer research, orphanages, animal causes) and perhaps a few brilliant young students with aspirations to contribute to society, who can't afford college tuition.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:48 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Friends 20%, the rest to a local animal shelter.

I like your way of thinking about the shelter donation !

Don

Old 06-28-2015, 09:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
the interest is overwhelming with each advancing year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance