Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 10:47 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
That's not parenting, that's enabling.

My fiancé desperately wants to be a father (I'm going along for the ride I guess), in part because he wants to experience proactive, attentive parenting, which is not the experience he had himself as a child.
Call it whatever you want but it's reality

Going along for the "ride" is a terrible reason to be a parent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 10:49 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,873,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post

But a good way to become one.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:52 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,254,000 times
Quote:

You're taking what I wrote way too literally. I'd also like to be an engaged, involved person in someone's life, whether it's to my own child or even someone else's. He just feels more strongly about having his own.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:53 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,254,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
but a good way to become one.
lol!

Old 10-02-2015, 10:57 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Clinton Township, MI
$75k a year (that's gross and includes all income streams)
$230k plus Net Worth but this is only because I'm letting my student loans "ride out" to get the forgiveness within 10 years, if you take the student loans away, I'm well over $280k Net Worth
Is it just me, or should this be against the law?

Old 10-02-2015, 11:16 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,832 times
Quote:
It would be extremely rare that a parent comes out and says their children were a massive burden, caused undue stress and they wished they didn't have them in the first place. I'm not saying everyone feels like this but everyone can't feel as though children are the best thing that ever happened to the either. It's not socially acceptable to go the other way
Probably due to that same self-selection as the incomes and net worth in this thread

You wouldn't necessarily hear the same sentiments in the DFCS office, poverty-stricken neighborhoods, family therapists office, third world adoption agencies...

Old 10-02-2015, 11:18 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkRoseAngel View Post
The waiting list is long, on average, it takes about two years after formal application process if approved due to not enough housing.
Yes, I don't doubt it, but there are loopholes.

And I didn't necessarily strictly mean government subsidies. I know a coworker whose dad owns a small apt. building and he's renting a 1BR to her, her husband and kid for $1200...which is a steal in San Jose.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
You live in Chicago, the deck is already stacked against you for saving.

Housing is crazy expensive here, taxes are really high (and going up! looking forward to the increased sales tax, property tax, uber tax, Netflix tax, etc?)

All of this means the maximum percentage of your income you can save is capped much lower than other areas in the country. As a point of reference, if we were to move from Chicago to Dallas, we'd save an additional $2,000/mo. It's like we're lighting that money on fire to appease the tax gods. Living in Illinois is not worth $2,000/mo to us.

Or in other words, it's a lot easier to save $140k on a $60k income when you're not living in Lincoln Park or the Gold Coast...
Chicago is really not that bad compared to Los Angeles, SF Bay Area, Boston, NYC, & DC.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
even a burger flipper can earn a million bucks over a lifetime .

speaking of burger flippers where has freemkt been ? he has not posted his tales of woe in months .
Maybe he finally got tired of himself and took some positive action. One can hope.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:11 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
It's just not politically nor socially correct to tell your 2 kids the following, "Son and Daughter, you were and still are a damn drain on me and your mother financially. We have to work extra hours, take fewer vacations, and we might not ever see a decent damn retirement because of your costs. Plus the mental toil you have taken on our mental health by just dealing with raising you two, on top of the financial strains, sometimes me and your mother want to kill ourselves! Or at least, drop you BACK off at the hospital!"

You can't tell your kids that, but unfortunately, this is the truth for the vast MAJORITY of American families with kids. Only a small percentage have it "all together and organized".
You so silly. There's a HUGE chasm between wanting to kill yourself because you dislike parenting and being "all together and organized"!!!

But, then again, most adults already know this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance