Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 12:16 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,637,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Chicago is really not that bad compared to Los Angeles, SF Bay Area, Boston, NYC, & DC.
And one sharp stick in the eye really not that bad compared to three.

There are lots of places to live where you don't get a poke in the eye period. In other words, it's easy to find people that are in a worse situation to justify not getting out of your own bad situation. It's just like the people that say "at least I have a job" and put up with ridiculous amounts of abuse instead of finding a better job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 12:31 PM

680 posts, read 1,922,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Is it just me, or should this be against the law?
No.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publ...ess_%28PSLF%29

But I believe you are still liable for taxes on the forgiven debt.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:27 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,443 times
Well this thread was depressing lol
25 and not even close to making what some people on here (only a few years older than me!) are making.
I work full time, but Im also racking up student debt by going to college too. Not even going to post my depressing stats haha
I am happy to see so many successful people though. Hard work can pay off

Old 10-03-2015, 01:01 AM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
25 and not even close to making what some people on here (only a few years older than me!) are making.
I work full time, but Im also racking up student debt by going to college too. Not even going to post my depressing stats haha
Good to see a normal person on here. You're probably doing better than average.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:47 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Clinton Township, MI
$75k a year (that's gross and includes all income streams)
$230k plus Net Worth but this is only because I'm letting my student loans "ride out" to get the forgiveness within 10 years, if you take the student loans away, I'm well over $280k Net Worth

Not bad for a guy that had no family help and who was homeless before right ?
There. I fixed that for you. Your welcome.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:41 AM

233 posts, read 191,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
They've had PLENTY of help...believe me....you're doing just fine.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:38 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racks View Post
What kind of "help" are you assuming people have had?

At 25 (previous posters age) my husband and I were a couple of years out of college, newlyweds, and new parents. IIRC, our HHI was around $55,000-$60,000. We had student loans and credit card debt. Definitely negative net worth! We had some good fortune along the way, but we also made some mistakes. We had no financial "help" from anyone.

But a lot happens between your mid-20s and your mid-30s. Those are the fastest career growth years for most people. We just kept plugging away, working hard, trying to make wise decisions; and, as I stated in an earlier post, once the balance tipped in our favor, assets snowballed very quickly. The markets turning around (stock and real estate) has been a significant factor for many posters. Most 25 year olds today haven't been able to reap much reward from that, other than of course coming into a healthier economy, etc.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:56 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racks View Post
Some may have had help others not but assumptions are bad to make

Last edited by Lowexpectations; 10-03-2015 at 10:04 AM..

Old 10-03-2015, 10:29 AM

816 posts, read 968,680 times
Without help, the typical professional trajectory should already look Kinda promising at 25. That is to say, unless you are a savvy entrepreneur and wish to build wealth in a 9-5 job setting, I think you are likely to have a plan by the time you are 25.

Now help from lady luck..thats ALWAYS there.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:58 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
What kind of "help" are you assuming people have had?

At 25 (previous posters age) my husband and I were a couple of years out of college, newlyweds, and new parents. IIRC, our HHI was around $55,000-$60,000. We had student loans and credit card debt. Definitely negative net worth! We had some good fortune along the way, but we also made some mistakes. We had no financial "help" from anyone.

But a lot happens between your mid-20s and your mid-30s. Those are the fastest career growth years for most people. We just kept plugging away, working hard, trying to make wise decisions; and, as I stated in an earlier post, once the balance tipped in our favor, assets snowballed very quickly. The markets turning around (stock and real estate) has been a significant factor for many posters. Most 25 year olds today haven't been able to reap much reward from that, other than of course coming into a healthier economy, etc.
The last paragraph here is important, but I think it only happens that way if you're smart and know what to do with excess once you finally have some. When my husband and I were young with a couple of little kids we didn't have much either. It took just one good year of real estate investments paying off to change our life completely. I think if you were to ask those here that are doing so well most would tell you they eventually found a way to make their extra money work for them rather than getting every dime from working for someone else. You can earn a good living at a good job, but most don't get ahead/get rich just working for someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance