Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 04:35 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonAccountant View Post
Not sure where you are from but here in Mass in-state tuition is $13K a year and growing by 8% a year. Also I'm not technically disagreeing with your point because we have a great CC to 4 year degree option where anyone who complete an associates degree with a 3.0 GPA or higher is almost guaranteed entry and reduced TUITION (tuition is highlighted because it's only $1K a year, "fees" are $12K). But to me we need to encourage people from lower and middle class backgrounds to go the 4 year route form day one.

I got an offer from a fortune 100 company at the beginning of my senior year and the main factor for employers is competitive work experience/internship. The most competitive internship usually recruit from 4 year campuses and do not extend opportunities to community college students. Also environment for most is key. 40 to 45 percent of students graduate from a typical 4 year university within 6 years. 10 to 15 percent of students graduate from a typical 2 year college within 4 years.

The biggest problem I see in my generation is kids from not bad but not great and pretty good backgrounds falling into an environment of comfortable low expectations.

George Bush was a disaster as a president but the best line he had was "the soft bigotry of low expectations".
I also think the bolded is an important thing to consider when looking at community colleges. Plus you have to consider that a lot of 4 year colleges give people a lot of grief about transferring credits from community college. Theoretically, none of this should matter. In practice, it often does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 04:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Dude can you tell me what's your profession lol? I have to literally KILL myself for the little $75k I make .
Are you serious? That guy lives in Silicon Valley, his $200k+ income affords him a lesser quality of life than someone who makes $75k a year in the Midwest has. $75k a year in Metro Detroit is actually a very good income and short of having 10 kids, there's no reason why you won't be able to build a large nest egg for retirement.

Also....

Income: $55,000
Net worth: $55,000

Old 10-10-2015, 09:10 AM

816 posts, read 968,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocian View Post
Are you serious? That guy lives in Silicon Valley, his $200k+ income affords him a lesser quality of life than someone who makes $75k a year in the Midwest has. $75k a year in Metro Detroit is actually a very good income and short of having 10 kids, there's no reason why you won't be able to build a large nest egg for retirement.

Also....

Income: $55,000
Net worth: $55,000
I should probably take a pay cut and move. What quality of life are you talking about?
Now i am curious. Bay area had been challenging. But i doubt what you say. I expect to save 130-150k a year, something tells me that would be difficult at 75k a year. As for quality of life, yes, i cannot afford a single family home. i doubt i could do better regardless of where i move. Where else could i build a nw of 450k in six years and almost triple my pay in that many years.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:02 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,951 times
The first million in Net worth is likely the most difficult phase in building a decent nest egg. As its been said, your magic number depends heavily on your location, lifestyle, and risk tolerance, so a comparison is not as drycut as one might expect.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:17 PM

Yup to each his own.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramax666 View Post
I should probably take a pay cut and move. What quality of life are you talking about?
Now i am curious. Bay area had been challenging. But i doubt what you say. I expect to save 130-150k a year, something tells me that would be difficult at 75k a year. As for quality of life, yes, i cannot afford a single family home. i doubt i could do better regardless of where i move. Where else could i build a nw of 450k in six years and almost triple my pay in that many years.
Yes, places like SV do offer a lot of potential for some and your situation proves that. If you judge "quality of life" only by the size of the house you can buy, then I think that's a very narrow parameter. However, there are a lot of people who live in SV who are really just on a treadmill who really would be better off living somewhere cheaper. And when kids are involved, not having to pay through the nose for a modest single family home seems like a reasonable desire.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:40 AM

i agree with you. I was on that treadmill too. I am fortunate to have what I do. I just didn't like the way a generalization was made. thats all I was reacting to.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramax666 View Post
i agree with you. I was on that treadmill too. I am fortunate to have what I do. I just didn't like the way a generalization was made. thats all I was reacting to.
Understood. But there's a reason for those generalizations. They can't be true for everyone, but they are for many. You were able to get off the treadmill. A lot of people never do.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:52 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
The first million in Net worth is likely the most difficult phase in building a decent nest egg. As its been said, your magic number depends heavily on your location, lifestyle, and risk tolerance, so a comparison is not as drycut as one might expect.
took me 50 years to hit 1 million but only 12 years to triple it . the more you have the bigger the deals , the more privy the deals and the better the talent you can partner with .

there is a huge difference between going about it on your own vs great professionals with their connections and talent who do this as a profession , especially with real estate . .

Old 10-12-2015, 09:02 AM

I suppose thats inline with the idea that those of us who have rich parents have a pretty significant advantage. ie. The help with the first few 100Ks of education and downpayment assistance goes a long way. Wealth accumulation is inherently a non-linear growth curve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance