Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 10:20 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,237,202 times

Advertisements

Homeowners insurance covers theft losses. My briefcase was stolen while travelling with cash inside it, and Liberty Mutual covered it, including the cash (not much, something like $300, and I had a bank receipt to show the withdrawal). There was a deductible of course, but the price of the electronics plus the briefcase itself plus cash and other contents totaled well above the deductible amount.

The adjuster stated they would have covered even $100,000 in cash if I had records to show the withdrawal.

Last edited by toosie; 11-03-2016 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: edited out quote you replied to that's been deleted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 10:42 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,484,462 times
Not all companies offer direct deposit. I've never had it as an option. My husband has only had it for his current job, never before. Large companies offer it. Small companies often do not.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:54 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
So you take your check to a check cashing place, where these tend to be in ghetto areas, exchange your check for a wad of cash, get robbed and you want your employer to issue you another check because you were dumb with your first one?

Funniest thing I have heard all day. Go open a bank account like a normal person, get direct deposit or deposit the paper check and write a check for your rent.
Normal for who?

I hate the elitists in this thread.

I was 18 and could not get a checking account because I had no credit established.

You never know why a person does not have a bank account.

Many banks have eliminated free checking.like my bank BOA.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:55 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
If you don't have a bank account, how would you get paid via direct deposit?

I don't think banks will open an account for you if you have a history of writing bad checks/overdrafts.
The Rushcard offers direct deposit without a bank.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:55 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Even a paper check can be deposited into a bank account without carrying vulnerable cash around...

Exactly. And now a days depending on where you bank and if you have a smart phone, you can deposit a check using their App in the privacy of your own home. No need to even go to a branch anymore.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:57 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I don't get why people are getting on this guy's case. If the OP actually cashed the check himself and is trying to scam the employer out of another paycheck, why would he post here about his scheme?

Of course the employer has no responsibility to pay again, but it can't hurt to ask and they might be helpful.

People are on his case because he could have been more careful. Open a bank account. Check cashing places usually aren't in the best part of town, you have to be aware of your surroundings.

I realize many today due to not being able to put their phones down could have an axe murderer coming running up behind them and they wouldn't even notice.

Pay attention, you may still get robbed, but if you aren't aware of who is around you, or your put yourself in situations that increase your chances of getting robbed, well this is how it can turn out.

And actually it can hurt. As I posted earlier a company will do a stop payment on a lost check, but they don't like to as it requires double work. They also wonder why this employee could be so careless. They may not say anything, but it is noted they lost their paycheck.

I wouldn't tell my boss I got robbed outside a check cashing place, it shows poor judgement and the boss or the higher ups may think this person isn't someone we should promote.

Unfortunately the OP learned the hard way on this one. Needs to be more careful when walking around with cash, don't count it in public, don't flaunt it, and if you do go to a check cashing place look around before leaving, and don't go at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Not all companies offer direct deposit. I've never had it as an option. My husband has only had it for his current job, never before. Large companies offer it. Small companies often do not.
Regardless, you have a checking/savings account with a bank.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:01 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Normal for who?

I was 18 and could not get a checking account because I had no credit established.

You do not need a credit history to open a checking account.

The bank is not taking a risk by agreeing to keep your money for you.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:15 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Normal for who?

Elitists = 92% of adult Americans since that's the percent that have checking accounts.

BOA does offer free checking when you direct deposit at least $250 a month. If not, they charge you $12 a month. The cheapest check cashing place I could find near me charges $3 to cash any check under $1000. If you get paid weekly that's $12 a month in fees. Same as BOA, but with a far greater risk to yourself and your money.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:19 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
People are on his case because he could have been more careful. Open a bank account. Check cashing places usually aren't in the best part of town, you have to be aware of your surroundings.

I realize many today due to not being able to put their phones down could have an axe murderer coming running up behind them and they wouldn't even notice.

Pay attention, you may still get robbed, but if you aren't aware of who is around you, or your put yourself in situations that increase your chances of getting robbed, well this is how it can turn out.

And actually it can hurt. As I posted earlier a company will do a stop payment on a lost check, but they don't like to as it requires double work. They also wonder why this employee could be so careless. They may not say anything, but it is noted they lost their paycheck.

I wouldn't tell my boss I got robbed outside a check cashing place, it shows poor judgement and the boss or the higher ups may think this person isn't someone we should promote.

Unfortunately the OP learned the hard way on this one. Needs to be more careful when walking around with cash, don't count it in public, don't flaunt it, and if you do go to a check cashing place look around before leaving, and don't go at night.
Regardless, you have a checking/savings account with a bank.

Exactly, a checking account is the way to go even though you can still get robbed.

You shouldn't have much money on you if you are using a checking account to hold your money and you are writing checks to pay your bills.

Even today, most grocery stores offer check cashing cards allowing you to write checks for your groceries.

How much actual cash do you really need to carry around?

Losing gas money or fast food money would hurt a lot less than losing a whole paycheck.

OP needs to open a checking account and use it to pay their major expenses.....much less risk.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:53 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,737 times
Were you robbed at home? If so your renters insurance may cover it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance