Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 01:24 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,710,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
If you're working you should have a checking/savings account. Obviously the OP has some money, they were cashing their paycheck. It costs you nothing these days, most banks offer free checking/svaings and give you more checks than you will ever write.
Huh? I always had to pay for my checks, I still do. And many banks charge fees if your checking account goes below a certain amount of money. There are other bank fees, too, often hidden charges. This is part of the reason why many lower income people don't use banks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 01:25 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,710,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thzodiac View Post
Send out another one? I have the police report and everything but I am not sure if my job would allow for a second paycheck to be sent out. .

Do you mean an advance on your next paycheck? They might be willing to do that. But they won't replace the money stolen from you. Sorry that happened. I've been robbed several times and it sucks.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:30 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Huh? I always had to pay for my checks, I still do. And many banks charge fees if your checking account goes below a certain amount of money. There are other bank fees, too, often hidden charges. This is part of the reason why many lower income people don't use banks.

As another poster pointed out, the fees from a checking account will be far less than the fees charged by check cashing places and the cost of constantly buying money orders instead of writing a check.

Then, add in the safety factor of not carrying around large amounts of cash, choosing to have a checking account is a no brainer.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:36 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,232,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thzodiac View Post
Send out another one? I have the police report and everything but I am not sure if my job would allow for a second paycheck to be sent out. I am ****ing pissed because now I am behind on rent because of this incident that happened over the past weekend. It wasn't cashed at the bank either but at a check cashing place.
Savings??? You know, bad things do happen to people in life and you can't always sue, beg, expect, desire, request, mandate that OTHERS pay for your speed bumps.

Look at it this way, you could have been:

1) Killed. While ending all of your problems, it's probably the least desired route to choose
2) Injured. Thanks to Obamacare, it's probably less desirable than option 1. God forbid you get sick or injured now on THAT plan....better off dead for some
3) Punk'd. Sure, you in some ways you were. However, the only camera may have been the one at the bank and they don't usually publicize this. High five!

Glass is half full? Could be much, much worse?

So, let's review. What have we learned. We learned that always being vigilant is a good thing. Always carrying some sort of protection OTHER than a condom is a good thing too. In the future, try to save a few pennies....skip the extras.....who knows? Maybe the next time something bad happens to you, it will be more of a inconvenience than a nightmare?

Prepare my friend....always prepare for the worst, pray for the best.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:38 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweez View Post
OP - I am sorry this happened to you. I had the same thing happen to me many years ago when I started a new job and had not yet set up a bank account or direct deposit. Unfortunately, once your check is cashed, there is not much you can do. If you have a good relationship with your employer, you may be able to ask for an advance on your next paycheck but I doubt they would replace what you lost. I would highly recommend that you look into getting a bank account and direct deposit - that was the first thing I did after this happened to me. There are so many free checking account options available these days - maybe you have a trusted friend, family member, or coworker who could help you find a good option?

FYI for everyone responding - not every place that cashes checks is in a bad part of town (I was robbed at gunpoint in a shopping center parking lot in an upper middle class part of town), many people living paycheck to paycheck without a bank account won't have either homeowner's or renter's insurance, and a lot of people are not necessarily aware of how to go about getting a free checking account and direct deposit.

This should probably be a new topic but I really believe that basic personal financial management should be taught in middle/early high school before people enter the workforce! I made a point to learn as much as I could after this happened to me.
^^^^THIS.....a thousand times over!

Old 11-04-2016, 04:48 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Well I haven't. Regardless it costs money to use these check cashing places. I would be more than it does to have a checking account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
As another poster pointed out, the fees from a checking account will be far less than the fees charged by check cashing places and the cost of constantly buying money orders instead of writing a check.

Then, add in the safety factor of not carrying around large amounts of cash, choosing to have a checking account is a no brainer.
Exactly.

The OP never came back or gave much detail as to what actually happened.

It's too bad this happened, but you have to also use some common sense. You make yourself an easy target if you don't take some safeguards.

Did the OP make note of who was around them when entering and exiting this place. Don't go at night, and don't go alone.

I see people today who are so entranced with their smart phones walking around that they are oblivious to who and what is around them. You go into a check cashing place and know you're walking out with a decent amount of cash, pay attention.

Best solution get a checking account.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:07 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,578,801 times
https://www.ibelong.org/

Old 11-04-2016, 06:14 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,578,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
There are MANY banks that offer free checking! Usually without $100 to start. Even if you needed $100 to open the account, if it's cash you can withdraw it the next day. Banks do not run credit checks to open an account. They do however run bank scans, meaning they will know if you owe another bank for bouncing a check. In that regard they can deny you an account. With a free checking account you can get a visa or Master Card debit card which is also a lot more convenient then carrying cash. Seems just completely crazy to me that an adult (anyone over 18) would not have a checking account.
i know of people from outside the country who dont trust banks because of corruption in their home country (the concept of fdic/cif doesnt exist there) so they continue their habit of just burying their cash.

i find it stranger that someone affluent enough to afford a monthly internet/cellular-fone bill would still prefer the 3 % fee at a check casher (rather than earning .5% interest apy). i know people that wire money to relatives in other countries at these places but they dont know of better/cheaper alternatives (socio-economics).

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 11-04-2016 at 07:23 PM..

Old 11-04-2016, 06:21 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I don't get why people are getting on this guy's case. If the OP actually cashed the check himself and is trying to scam the employer out of another paycheck, why would he post here about his scheme?

Of course the employer has no responsibility to pay again, but it can't hurt to ask and they might be helpful.
It's not that anyone thinks he's trying to scam his employer. It's more that he/she doesn't want to take responsibility for the situation. Granted, it's not his fault he was robbed, but it's not his employer's fault, either. Just because bad and unfair things happen doesn't mean someone else should bail you out.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 11-04-2016 at 06:41 PM..

Old 11-04-2016, 06:27 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The nearest check cashing place to me is in a highly affluent area of Silicon Valley, across the street from Starbucks and the luxury bathroom supplies place. (That's the place you want to go if you're itching to spend $50,000 on your bathroom.)
But that is generally the exception. Silicon Valley generally has a much lower crime rate than other metro areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance