Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 04:30 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Of course they're not. Nor should they. If you are an adult with no children and making minimum wage, you should be working far more than 32 hours a week. There's no reason you can't. And if you want to work less than 2 jobs, gain the skills to get a job that pays enough for you to do that.

If you can't work more than 32 hours a week, then there's some medical issue that prohibits you doing so, and you should qualify for disability. If you don't qualify, but still maintain that you can't work 2 jobs, that just making excuses.

People should be working to capacity at fulfilling jobs. Compared with fulfilling jobs, minimum wage jobs qualitatively suck.

THAT is why people prefer to sit and collect unemployment checks than take a crappy job.

I figure I've put in more than my fair share of sucky job time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 04:35 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Latest report today here in LA, 58,000 homeless, wonder what they are doing with their money. Reasons mostly given: housing shortages and rising housing costs. That's just two reasons.

Welcome to affluent america.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:39 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Latest report today here in LA, 58,000 homeless, wonder what they are doing with their money. Reasons mostly given: housing shortages and rising housing costs. That's just two reasons.

Welcome to affluent america.
Um, right. So what do non homeless people do when they are priced out of the housing market where they live? They move to where housing is more affordable. They don't just live on the street as a permanent condition. Homelessness is merely a symptom of a whole lot of other personal problems people have.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:38 AM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
long histories of poor choices and bad decisions generally .

Old 06-01-2017, 03:44 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Jesus Tapdancing Christ. What a bunch of arrogant nonsense from some whelp who knows nothing.

What if someone has a chronic disease that exceeds maximum healthcare coverage? My sister-in-law and her husband, a CFO for an international manufacturer, has a son who, at age three, was diagnosed with a virulent form of cancer. They wound up exceeding their healthcare coverage by quite a bit and went about a hundred thousand dollars in the hole after running through their savings, their stock portfolio and putting a second mortgage on the house. My sister-in-law had to quit her job to shuttle their son to treatment.

Now imagine if the husband in that relationship didn't have an amazing job with almost unlimited benefits? They would have been wiped out. They would have had to file for bankruptcy. In fact, in the time my nephew (Who survived and has been cancer free for six years) was treated, they got to know a lot of families who had to do just that. Good families, hard-working families who did all the right things, had insurance, had savings, and still wound up taking it in the teeth.

My former employee was the same. She had a terrible, two-year struggle with cancer. One year into her treatment, she and her husband learned that he, too, had terminal cancer. She died back in September. He is hanging on by his fingernails for the sake of their two teenaged sons. They went through not one, but two separate health insurance policies. The poor kids will wind up with nothing.

This isn't some freak statistical rarity, by the way. It happens all the time. So next time you prate on about "poverty is always the fault of the poor" or some other half-witted nonsense dredged up from binge listening to talk radio, do yourself a favor and leave your cosseted world to wander up and down the halls of the infusion unit of a cancer center. Then stroll into the waiting room filled with family members who are desperately scraping together their last shekels to keep a child, a spouse, or a parent alive and tell them how their impending bankruptcy is all their fault. I'll video the results.

I don't wish ill on anyone, but I would love to see you go through some difficulty in your life just to watch that smug, simpering attitude of yours disappear.
Exactly!!

Old 06-01-2017, 04:04 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Delusional? I think that's too strong a word. When you have a 40% out of wedlock birth rate, and even higher among poor people, it's obvious a lot of people aren't making good decisions. No wonder the middle class is shrinking.
That is not why the middle class is shrinking.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:38 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
People should be working to capacity at fulfilling jobs. Compared with fulfilling jobs, minimum wage jobs qualitatively suck.

THAT is why people prefer to sit and collect unemployment checks than take a crappy job.

I figure I've put in more than my fair share of sucky job time.
Minimum wage jobs do suck. Which is why able bodied adults are expected to find jobs that make more than minimum. How they do that is up to them. But it's on all of us to find jobs that pay the bills.

Everybody had done their fair share of sucky job time. It's called paying your dues. You apparently missed that memo, since you gave up finding a decent paying job after failing one job interview. You haven't paid your dues, and therefore are destined to languish in unfulfilling jobs forever. Nobody to blame but your self.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:57 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
I used to shovel horse poop from one pile to another.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:34 AM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
i guess you were a pile-it (pilot) ha ha ha

Old 06-01-2017, 09:36 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

What did that accomplish? (TM)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance