Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 01:10 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,146,385 times

Advertisements

I don't see the Chase Preferred Reserve is such a good deal. I have owned Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon and Chase Business Ink for many years. Recently between the choice of Sapphire Preferred and Reserve, I picked the Preferred. The reasons are:

(1) The annual fee is too much. $450 vs $95 (first year free). I read that Chase charges $450 up front for the first year.
(2) Now the sign up bonus for both cards are down to 50,000 miles. And for Preferred, you get extra 5,000 miles if you add an additional cardholder. But for Reserve, you have to pay extra for adding a subsidiary cardholder.
(3) Reserve gives you 3% back for dining and travel while Preferred only 2%. But if you own a Costco Citi Visa which charges no annual fee, it also gives you 3% on dining and travel. And the Citi Dividend Card gives you 5% rebate on all airline booking during the 3rd quarter (Jul--Sep).
(4) If you book travel through Chase website, your miles are worth 25% more (Preferred) and 50% more (Reserve). But the problem is that I checked it out and found their price is inflated as compared with Expedia and others.
(5) No foreign exchange fee -- A lot of other cards like Barclay Card and Capitalone offer that too. Barclay Card even rebates 2.05% on all dining and travel expenses in foreign countries.
(6) Extended warranty -- Every Chase Card only offers one year extended warranty. But Citi Dividend Card and Citi Costco Card offer two years.
(7) Theft and damage -- Chase Preferred offers 120 days. In par with Citicard.
(8) Card Rental Insurance -- the only outstanding feature for both Preferred and Reserve since it is primary. Now I used to buy AMEX premium insurance for every rental at $19.95 for up to 42 days.

Conclusion:

May keep Preferred for some years but Reserve is not worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 01:23 PM

There are a lot of good deals for credit cards that offer good travel perks.

Hawaiian airline offers 50,000 miles bonus if you sign up their credit card before 12/31. It charges $89 annual fee at the end of year (that means you can cancel it at the 11th month).

One way ticket for JFK-->HNL direct flight is sometimes down to 30,000 miles even in summer time. And the additional fee is just $20-30.

You can buy one way with miles and you can even pool the miles from your family members without charge.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:23 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,644,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
I don't see the Chase Preferred Reserve is such a good deal. I have owned Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon and Chase Business Ink for many years. Recently between the choice of Sapphire Preferred and Reserve, I picked the Preferred. The reasons are:

(1) The annual fee is too much. $450 vs $95 (first year free). I read that Chase charges $450 up front for the first year.
(2) Now the sign up bonus for both cards are down to 50,000 miles. And for Preferred, you get extra 5,000 miles if you add an additional cardholder. But for Reserve, you have to pay extra for adding a subsidiary cardholder.
(3) Reserve gives you 3% back for dining and travel while Preferred only 2%. But if you own a Costco Citi Visa which charges no annual fee, it also gives you 3% on dining and travel. And the Citi Dividend Card gives you 5% rebate on all airline booking during the 3rd quarter (Jul--Sep).
(4) If you book travel through Chase website, your miles are worth 25% more (Preferred) and 50% more (Reserve). But the problem is that I checked it out and found their price is inflated as compared with Expedia and others.
(5) No foreign exchange fee -- A lot of other cards like Barclay Card and Capitalone offer that too. Barclay Card even rebates 2.05% on all dining and travel expenses in foreign countries.
(6) Extended warranty -- Every Chase Card only offers one year extended warranty. But Citi Dividend Card and Citi Costco Card offer two years.
(8) Card Rental Insurance -- the only outstanding feature for both Preferred and Reserve since it is primary. Now I used to buy AMEX premium insurance for every rental at $19.95 for up to 42 days.

Conclusion:

So your argument basically boils down to: "If you just get the Preferred and these 5 other credit cards, you get the same benefits as using just one Reserved card".

Sometimes simplicity has value. But I hear you.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
So your argument basically boils down to: "If you just get the Preferred and these 5 other credit cards, you get the same benefits as using just one Reserved card".

Sometimes simplicity has value. But I hear you.
Thanks. You make it simple.

What Chase Sapphire Reserve offers can be found in many other Credit Cards which are free. The only humbug is that you have to get more cards and remember when and where to use them.

In addition, there are some features that I don't like about Chase Card in general:

(1) The principal card and the additional cards all share one card number. On the statement it does not differentiate between who buys what. I have problem in identifying who made those purchases in Amazon.

(2) I have made claims for extended warranty respectively with AMEX, Citicard, Barclaycard and Chase. Chase is the most humbug while AMEX is the most easy going.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:40 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
(2) I have made claims for extended warranty respectively with AMEX, Citicard, Barclaycard and Chase. Chase is the most humbug while AMEX is the most easy going.
i tried return protection on a chase card and was shut down by their ridiculous terms. its hard to assign any value to those perks if your only experience was bad.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:11 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i tried return protection on a chase card and was shut down by their ridiculous terms. its hard to assign any value to those perks if your only experience was bad.
I don't think I've ever made a claim with Chase what was ridiculous about their terms?

Old 12-21-2017, 05:44 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,427,057 times
Even though I stripped down my cards and went back to 1.5% cash back across everything, unlimited. I've been thinking about the Uber Visa since it came out. With 4% back dining and the 3% back on hotels and airfare plus subscription credit and mobile protection up to $600. I feel like this card could be very useful just for the mobile insurance alone. No annual fee either.

I may get it next year. Does anyone have it yet?

https://www.uber.com/c/uber-credit-card/

Old 12-22-2017, 05:03 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,154,509 times
Quote:

Conclusion:

Used to have Preferred but chose Reserve when they were running the 100,000 points promo (ie. $1,500 in travel). Probably wouldn't do it now with the 50,000 points offer. Nevertheless, their lounge access plus the combo of $300 annual travel credit and Global Entry ($100)/TSA precheck ($85) fee credit every 4 years brings the fee down to as low as $125/yr.

Our next plan is to have my wife added as an authorized user under her father's AMEX Platinum. They allow up to 3 authorized users for $175 and my father-in-law already has his wife as an authorized user so mind as well let us enjoy the perks. He trusts us enough to know that we won't go ruining his credit. We'll see how that request goes.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:05 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times
Quote:

Conclusion:

$450/year, but you do get a $300 travel credit back. They'll also pay for your Global Entry.
So the $450 ends up being ~$130 if you prorate the Global Entry across the 5 years. Still $35 more than Preferred, but you also get other perks such as Priority Pass.

That said - it all comes down to what works for the individual card holder. As great as CSR is to some, it's worthless if you're not a traveler.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:50 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
I have CSP, Discover IT, 3 Capital Ones Quicksilver and WF cash back card. I'll be honest-I don't really charge that much on these cards to really take advantage of the points/game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance