Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 02:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I don't think I've ever made a claim with Chase what was ridiculous about their terms?
i had purchased a wifi thermostat (i think it was a nest). i had it for a little longer than the return period before setting it up and found that it wasnt compatible with my connection so i decided to return it. so one of the benefits is some kind of return protection and i submitted a claim. i was denied because it is a product that "would be attached to real estate." i did look it up and it is in their terms and i guess my wifi thermostat was getting attached to real estate but it is just a piece of consumer electronics; the restriction seems kind of arbitrary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 06:27 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,693,373 times
We keep ours simple, we only have discover IT card. No annual fees but a lot of perks(not just cash back) but the cash back is a big one. We put all spending monthly on it so the cash back adds up. We have been using it for around 7 years and love it, awesome customer service also. We have received so many discounted gift cards using the money, anyone responsible should be taking advantage of this or similar cards.

I would love to get another card to use for traveling perks, we are not heavy travelers but we would like to more often. Something that earns flying points and great perks. I have looked in the past but so many and never was sure about one.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:28 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
I would love to get another card to use for traveling perks, we are not heavy travelers but we would like to more often. Something that earns flying points and great perks. I have looked in the past but so many and never was sure about one.
The easiest way to begin narrowing down the field is to ask yourself where you’re most likely to travel and what airlines you fly on most frequently.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:38 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
I have a Discover cash back with rotating categories at 5%, and an AMEX Blue with 3% back on groceries and 2% on gas.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:41 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times
the chase freedom is offering 5% on cable ,phone and internet bills starting in january for the quarter .

i will get the 5% in points ,shift it to the sapphire reserve where for travel it gets a 50% boost to 7-1/2% .

Old 12-26-2017, 11:06 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,427,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I have CSP, Discover IT, 3 Capital Ones Quicksilver and WF cash back card. I'll be honest-I don't really charge that much on these cards to really take advantage of the points/game.
Why do you have 3 QuickSilver's? I'm thinking about a Venture, Uber Visa or the new Savor? I'll be traveling to Flordia alot. Looking for a simple travel card if I decide to get one.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:37 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the chase freedom is offering 5% on cable ,phone and internet bills starting in january for the quarter .

i will get the 5% in points ,shift it to the sapphire reserve where for travel it gets a 50% boost to 7-1/2% .

If you are booking all your travel through the Chase portal you most likely aren't getting the most value out of your points and thusly adding the 50% bonus multiplier might make you feel good but doesn't mean much. For instance I'm looking at flights to panama and through united it's 32k miles and through the Chase portal it's 60k.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:10 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,146,385 times
If you like travel to some big cities and visit their museums, Bank of America credit cards are good choices. BA offers free admission to dozens of museums nationwide including Metropolitan and Guggenheim in NYC on the first weekend of the month.

I have 3 cards issued by BA. One of them offers you quarter rebate of $25 ($30 if you have a BA bank account) as long as you remember to pay the monthly balance. Another one offers you 2% rebate on purchase at Costco and Sam's Club (2.2% if you have a BA bank account).

Another feature many people neglect is that if you go through the shopping network of those major credit cards, you get extra rebate. For example, you can get 3% rebate on iPhone after they redirect you to the Apple website.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:31 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If you are booking all your travel through the Chase portal you most likely aren't getting the most value out of your points and thusly adding the 50% bonus multiplier might make you feel good but doesn't mean much. For instance I'm looking at flights to panama and through united it's 32k miles and through the Chase portal it's 60k.
we pick and choose the best deals . sometimes we split the trip up and use the chase portal for what is the same or cheaper .

we looked at staying in manhattan for when we play tourist once a year . we like to stay at a particular high end hotel on central park south , actually a few doors down from the co-op apartments we own .

going through the chase luxury deals was a better deal because of additional perks you get .

i happen to read yesterday the cost for a typical cruise ship to go through that canal is a fee of 300k . phew!

Old 12-27-2017, 07:08 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Why do you have 3 QuickSilver's? I'm thinking about a Venture, Uber Visa or the new Savor? I'll be traveling to Flordia alot. Looking for a simple travel card if I decide to get one.
I had 3 CO cards and they moved it over to the Quicksilver. I was thinking of combining all of them but that means closing the other two and one of the cards is my longest card opened on record so it would ding my fico
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance