Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2017, 04:57 PM

106,724 posts, read 108,937,910 times

Advertisements

yes . that is just what i am saying , they cannot access without you specifically filling out form 8821 . the rules are very specific about that . it requires a special form in order to grant someone permission . it is all in that section 6103 .

it is form 8821 that is required or no info released

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8821.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 05:03 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,241,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
anyone you grant access to has to be very specific about them accessing tax records . it can't just say something like allowing them to check financials . you have to fill out a special form .
You changed your message between the time I read it, and the time I hit post reply, so for anyone reading this thread, there’s going to be a disconnect....just FYI for anyone (including myself) who is trying to follow this thread.

I agree with this latest version of your post ...:-) yes, I gave permission electronically. Yes, I knew they were looking back at 5 years returns, and no, I never specifically signed any special form.

The takeaway, I hope, is that we should all be aware of what we are agreeing to, particularly when we have to turn over our ssn.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:10 PM

to be honest , without you filling out and submitting that form i doubt they ever accessed your tax forms directly. .sorry , not buying in to that theory .

Old 10-18-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
My experience from when I requested an increase from AMEX, was that there was a specific IRS form I had to sign which allowed AMEX to view two years of returns.
exactly what is needed .

Old 10-18-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
to be honest , without you filling out and submitting that form i doubt they ever accessed your tax forms directly. .sorry , not buying in to that theory .
To each their own.

I’m neither a liar, an idiot or someone who has a pathological need to always be right.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:17 PM

nothing personal , it just does not make sense . that form 8821 is the law not an option like click here .

Old 10-18-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
To each their own.

I’m neither a liar, an idiot or someone who has a pathological need to always be right.
Which you aren’t in this case..... note I didn’t edit my message to confuse and appear right.

I filled out an application at a financial institution....note I didn’t say bank.....read my unedited posts to verify. The online process specifically asked me to verify income via irs. I gave permission.

Why is it so hard for you to believe, in the case of that institution, that that request did not imply signing that particular form? You have already conceded that certain institutions have access to those records without the form being signed. I suspect many institutions do, including those that administer the ACA, and others, including the institution I was dealing with. You think everyone who gets an ACA subsidy has filled out this form? Probably not.

You are not always right. Remember how you argued with me for a day about estate recovery for those getting Medicaid for health insurance in California? I was right about it no longer being recoverable, and you know it. But you tried your hardest not to admit I was right.

I’d pull up the thread to prove it, but you’ve probably gone back and edited all your posts.

Mathjak, I think you are a great contributor to this forum. I have learned much from your presence and I hope you continue enlightening people here. But for crissakes, you aren’t god.... other people occasionally know things you don’t. You undermine your credibility rather than reinforce it when you get into these silly exchanges.

Love, cabound1

Old 10-18-2017, 08:05 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack59 View Post
AMEX Platinum will give 60,000 points $200 travel, $200 Uber and has Centurion lounges for $550.
Can downgrade to another card if desired. Good for NY'ers that may use Uber and fly out of LaGuardia.

I have both the Amex plat and csr. The chase rewards platform is much better. Amex gets my spend for United incidentals to eat the 200.00 credit, it gets uber, any airfare boooked directly with airlines and then any of the monthly awards deals. CSR gets all other spend. Priority pass stinks compared to Centurion lounges but the availability is slim. The Amex plat also gets you delta lounges if you are flying on delta that day

Old 10-19-2017, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
If you gave them your SSN , they have access to your tax returns. Not sure whether you have to give them permission to look at returns or not, but I have direct experience with this.
this is what i am debating that you said . they do not have access to my returns without me providing an 8821 form . i have no idea what you signed but without it being an 8821 the law is they can not access your returns as a financial institution for purposes of consumer credit as formality . congress purposely amended the code just so that has to be the way it is . nothing you can click on will allow access without that actual form or it is criminal for those at the irs who disclose that info . .

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-19-2017 at 04:37 AM..

Old 10-19-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
this is what i am debating that you said . they do not have access to my returns without me providing an 8821 form . i have no idea what you signed but without it being an 8821 the law is they can not access your returns as a financial institution for purposes of consumer credit as formality . congress purposely amended the code just so that has to be the way it is . nothing you can click on will allow access without that actual form or it is criminal for those at the irs who disclose that info . .
Well, I apologize for majoring in math and not English, because that statement was sliced, diced, and chopped up to suit the (inevitable) argument. I think most reasonable people understood what I was saying without having to endure the subsequent nonsense.

Maybe we should all have our attorneys review everything we say here. Or maybe I’ll return the favor and pounce on every word you write before you edit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance