Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 10:26 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,840,422 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of redoing my Will but I wonder if a Trust is better (?)
Also, I did my own Will with Quicken software about 6 years ago. Has anyone on here done their own Trust instead of using a lawyer? If so, what software did you use and would you recommend it?
Thanks in advance. Just doing research online but wanted to use this forum as well to get opinions from others
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 11:09 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
no one can tell you .

it depends on the reasons. there are many different kinds of trusts for different purposes .

we have no use for a trust anymore now that our kids are grown . so we have just a will .

you need to consult an estate attorney . at one time we required a special trust called a disclaimer trust before ny raised it's pass through exclusion to the same as federal levels . that was for state tax purposes .

there are so many different trusts and reasons for them . as an example avoiding probate trusts work opposite medicaid planning trusts . they are totally opposite to each other

Old 05-02-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no one can tell you .

it depends on the reasons. there are many different kinds of trusts for different purposes .

we have no use for a trust anymore now that our kids are grown . so we have just a will .

you need to consult an estate attorney . at one time we required a special trust called a disclaimer trust before ny raised it's pass through exclusion to the same as federal levels . that was for state tax purposes .

there are so many different trusts and reasons for them . as an example avoiding probate trusts work opposite medicaid planning trusts . they are totally opposite to each other
It is very confusing but I am learning
Thanks

Old 05-02-2018, 11:31 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Nope, I used a lawyer. there are some things I deemed way too important to leave up to my little brain. Now when my husband died my kids where still minors so I needed a trust to make sure they wouldn't blow my dough on a pole dancer named "cinnamon" . lol

now as they get older when I have my papers redone I'll have to reevaluate what is best but again it's not something I want to get wrong so I'll consulate an estate planning attorney.

lol, although for some reason my 22 year old is driving me nutz so I may just blow all of it on a pool boy. ***sighs***

Old 05-02-2018, 11:34 AM

i would never ever even do a will today on my own . i already experienced 2x the results of poorly constructed documents

Old 05-02-2018, 11:35 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
I used Nolo.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Nope, I used a lawyer. there are some things I deemed way too important to leave up to my little brain. Now when my husband died my kids where still minors so I needed a trust to make sure they wouldn't blow my dough on a pole dancer named "cinnamon" . lol

now as they get older when I have my papers redone I'll have to reevaluate what is best but again it's not something I want to get wrong so I'll consulate an estate planning attorney.

lol, although for some reason my 22 year old is driving me nutz so I may just blow all of it on a pool boy. ***sighs***
OMG, that made me giggle!

You go girl! LOL

Old 05-02-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I used Nolo.
I did see Nolo online and I am looking into it

Old 05-02-2018, 11:40 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
We have a trust. Initially written by a lawyer. We add or remove as needed for assets. It has a pour over will. Basically saying refer to trust.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:42 AM

nothing is ever a problem until it is a problem has never been truer than with wills and trusts .

unfortunately intent means nothing if verbiage is deemed missing or defective . many times states change forms too . ny instituted a whole new lengthier power of attorney form and is now a statutory form .

banks and brokerages no longer have to accept the older forms so it can be a problem .

we had a closing on a refinanced house stopped . the will said i leave my house and possessions to my child beth .

it failed to have the word "only" as in only child .

this stuff can be a minefield in action .

we only use the best estate attorney we can find for any documents . we already had 2 instances of major grief because of poor construction by general practitioners . these folks did not want to pay for a good estate attorney and it cost the heirs a load of money needlessly in the end .

any thought of doing one myself is not even an option anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance