Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 06:58 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
You don't need to apoligize to anyone for your decisions. Yes you are struggling a bit right nowwith the loans, but you are probably a lot better off in the long run with the degree.
I don't care if she becomes a professional handglider.

Just don't expect me to pay for her college tab, ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 08:27 PM

859 posts, read 3,321,547 times
I don't know why so many are being mean to the original poster. Clearly, you aren't taking the time to walk in her shoes.

All she did was ask about a program...a program that does truely exist...I don't think she was looking for a handout in anyway. Just asking a question. I have known people who have gotten their student loans forgiven for a few reasons...and I think sometimes even working in an inner city school can qualify you. It all depends on specific jobs, states etc. I knew a girl who got offered a job in a ghetto school district that no one wanted to work in, and the city paid off a large portion of all the new teachers student loans.

I myself owe a lot of student loans...probably won't be done for another six years. It is a burden. Yes, it was my choice to go to college, but I felt I had no future with out a degree. There is no non-degree work I am really good at. I am slowly making my payments like thousands of others out there and know that one day it will be done. Never regreted for a minute going to college, best experience of my life.

I am lucky that although I had to pay for college I have people in my life that have been both emotionally and finacially helpful in others ways along the line. Not everyone is so lucky. Until you have walked in her shoes, no one shoud be bashing her. She obviously works hard and isn't being paid in a way that matches the degree she needed just to get this lower paying job. I don't think she's at all trying to mooch, just looking at available options that already exist to help better the situation. I do not work in a field that would ever really offer this type of thing...but if I was a teacher...and knew of a district offering this, would I apply for a job there? Sure I would! Almost a no brainer.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:42 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,154,654 times
Quote:
Yes, it was my choice to go to college, but I felt I had no future with out a degree.
You don't need to go into debt to go to college. Of course some states are better than others, but even if you live in state with poor higher education you can move and usually become a resident within a year. The majority of states are such that you can easily go to public school (start at a community college) and come out without debt so long as you are willing to work your butt off (and possibly take an extra year etc).

But seriously, people don't want to do that. They want to go to college and have the "college experience".

Old 04-29-2008, 03:56 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,033 times
Loans aren't the only road to paying for your education. There are tons of scholarships out there. I'm a year and a half into my masters program and so far, I've only shelled out about $3k. The rest of it was paid through scholarships. I think people make this assumption that its easier to apply for a loan (which you're almost always guaranteed to get) than to search and apply for scholarships.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
I don't know why so many are being mean to the original poster. Clearly, you aren't taking the time to walk in her shoes.

Listen, she came on here and spilled her guts. If you don't like the answers, again, too bad.

She CHOSE to go into human/social services and spend a small fortune on college.

She KNEW that she would have a very difficult time paying like most people do who go into those fields and goto expensive schools to boot.

Again, like the previous poster said, you can goto college w/o it ripping you apart financially....

Typical attitude of today looking for a free handout/lunch w/o taking personal responsibility for your CHOICE, and making taxpayers pay the bill.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:22 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
Anybody who has had to pay for college has walked in her shoes.

I worked a full-time job and managed to graduate in four years without a student loan to my name. I cobbled together grants, scholarships, and my paycheck to pay for everything--in the middle of a very bad recession to boot.

So the OP has racked up all these loans to pay for a degree that has no hope of getting her a good-paying job, and suddenly she wants to be forgiven for her obligation to the Federal government because, somehow, she's nobler than the rest of us?

She could have attended a more affordable college. She could have chosen a more lucrative profession. She could have busted it or used some ingenuity to scrounge up the money for tuition. Instead, she walked into a bank and said, "Hey, I'd like to borrow some money from the Federal government," and now wants to be excused from the loan.

Sorry. I know way too many people who sweated out paying off those things to let her off the hook.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:13 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
My son is planning on paying his students loans off even tho he will never work again.... He got hit by a car crossing the street 2 weeks after he finished college. Now for the past year + hes been working on his disability...I wish there was a way they would forgive his loans.....

Old 04-30-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
My son is planning on paying his students loans off even tho he will never work again.... He got hit by a car crossing the street 2 weeks after he finished college. Now for the past year + hes been working on his disability...I wish there was a way they would forgive his loans.....
OMG, that's terrible. Hopefully physically & mentally he can recover 100%.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:21 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Phy hes left with a bad leg...mentally he refuses to leave home for any reason Short of me screaming at him for hours. They did a test on him showing pic of traffic & all he was hooked to bloodpressure mac & heart monitiors the readings were off the scale! Its been 3+ yrs now.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,896 times
Default You are getting bad information

Yes, there are loan forgiveness programs, especially if you can teach in a school where a certain percentage of the students are considered "under-privileged", but not for the entire amount. Research the possibilities at the following website: FSA Portals. All of the posts that have pre-judged you or made assumptions about you have no right to do so. Furthermore, many of the postees are examples of the sense of entitlement that I see in a majority of persons under 40 years of age. They seem to have no point of reference for anything other than today's economic times or their own circumstances. They do not realize that sometimes a person is at the mercy of economics, circumstances, age discrimination, gender discrimination, and even mental limitations. I know of no one who takes out student loans with the plan to not pay them back. "Life" happens and often it is not by personal bad or selfish chioces. The social service field used to pay well, but in today's economic times the first thing people give up is counseling, etc., which then affects the person in that field's ability to pay back student loans. People usually do the best they can with what they have to work with -- be that circumstances or limitations. I've known people who, because of circumstances such as divorces or injuries or even personal convictions, are unable to repay their student loans at the present time. To those I say, use every deferment and forebearance available to you, including the economic hardship deferment. If all else fails, go back to college at least half-time toward another degree (it can even be another Bachelor's) and either pay for these classes as you go or just take out enough loans to cover the costs. Then you would automatically have an educational deferment. Go to school until your financial situation changes or you die (when they are automatically erased). Of course, your interest charges will continue to add more to your debt unless you can make just the interest payments each quarter. You won't be asking anyone else to pay your debt. The banks make enough off the interest they charge to cover you just fine! Maybe you could consider changing your line of work to something that is currently popular -- such as life coaching, human resources, or teaching. Good luck and don't listen to the nay-sayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance