Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 08:45 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
3% on 100 2 dollar sales is the same as 3% on 2 100 dollar sales
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You're completely ignoring the profit margin on a $2 cup of coffee vs. $100 of merchandise (and per transaction fees as well).
Quote:
You are guessing that there may ge a bigger margin just because a sale is more money
.that may be false . A 50% gp may be possible on the coffee while the more expensive items run 25%.
A (cheap) $2 cup of coffee at a convenience store is meant to lure in foot traffic (i.e. while you're there, hopefully you grab a doughnut, a magazine, a pack of gum, a lottery ticket, or whatever). It's not necessarily as aggressive pricing as a loss leader but certainly a paper-thin margin, particularly when factoring in the merchant fees for credit cards (if applicable), as stated previously.

That said, your comparison/numbers are meaningless re: service overhead/sourcing on a $2 coffee compared to (any) merchandise of greater value (and markup, particularly relative to a convenience store).

Quote:
debit cards fall under different laws and as i pointed out above have loop holes you have no control over.
You're still thinking you have no control. The FCBA (credit) and EFTA (debit/transfers) do not have 'loopholes' i.e. it's simply a matter of how quickly you report it, along with an investigation. That said, it's a no-brainer to protect yourself via text alerts (and absolute worst case scenario, you're out $50 no matter how you slice it); simply disable your account and report it immediately.

Point being, relative to the thread, don't sign-off on a $5700 cup of coffee - and take accountability for monitoring your own money. :-)

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 03-24-2021 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 03:21 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Default Ne

Quote:
A (cheap) $2 cup of coffee at a convenience store is meant to lure in foot traffic (i.e. while you're there, hopefully you grab a doughnut, a magazine, a pack of gum, a lottery ticket, or whatever). It's not necessarily as aggressive pricing as a loss leader but certainly a paper-thin margin, particularly when factoring in the merchant fees for credit cards (if applicable), as stated previously.

That said, your comparison/numbers are meaningless re: service overhead/sourcing on a $2 coffee compared to (any) merchandise of greater value (and markup, particularly relative to a convenience store).

You're still thinking you have no control. The FCBA (credit) and EFTA (debit/transfers) do not have 'loopholes' i.e. it's simply a matter of how quickly you report it, along with an investigation. That said, it's a no-brainer to protect yourself via text alerts (and absolute worst case scenario, you're out $50 no matter how you slice it); simply disable your account and report it immediately.

Point being, relative to the thread, don't sign-off on a $5700 cup of coffee - and take accountability for monitoring your own money. :-)
That is not what it says if they don’t process on a visa network..go read it yourself ...you have to depend on the good will of the bank , not laws and not written protections ..it specifically states on visa zero liability that it will not apply when non visa networks are used ..it has nothing to do with reporting it or not in the required days ..that applys to other situations..the processing on a non visa network is very specific.

Right. From their own policy

* Visa’s Zero Liability Policy does not apply to certain commercial card and anonymous prepaid card transactions or transactions not processed by a Visa network.

This is not the issue in the posters case but keep repeating something that is clearly stated does not change the fact debit cards have exposure the credit cards do not

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-25-2021 at 03:32 AM..

Old 03-25-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
That is not what it says if they don’t process on a visa network..go read it yourself ...you have to depend on the good will of the bank , not laws and not written protections ..it specifically states on visa zero liability that it will not apply when non visa networks are used ..it has nothing to do with reporting it or not in the required days ..that applys to other situations..the processing on a non visa network is very specific.
Again, you aren't understanding the differentiation between federal law and 'zero liability', which is a benefit (often, but not always) offered by the card issuer above and beyond what's required by law. Zero liability policies are voluntary and usually include a condition precedent (to which you're referring).

That said, no matter the network (or whether one has zero liability protection or not) liability is limited to $50 if reported within two days. Hence the importance of text alerts and practicing suitable care of one's own accounts. Clearly, the woman in OP's story did not i.e. she was a victim of herself.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Again, you aren't understanding the differentiation between federal law and 'zero liability', which is a benefit (often, but not always) offered by the card issuer above and beyond what's required by law. Zero liability policies are voluntary and usually include a condition precedent (to which you're referring).

That said, no matter the network (or whether one has zero liability protection or not) liability is limited to $50 if reported within two days. Hence the importance of text alerts and practicing suitable care of one's own accounts. Clearly, the woman in OP's story did not i.e. she was a victim of herself.
We are going in circles ..believe what you want. But visa has a perfect right to deny reimbursement if a non visa network was used ...there is no federal law that prevents this..

Just go to Reddit and see all the denied reimbursements people have had with debit cards .

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-25-2021 at 03:01 PM..

Old 03-25-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
We are going in circles ..believe what you want. But visa has a perfect right to deny reimbursement if a non visa network was used ...there is no federal law that prevents this..
Zero liability is offered (by some card issuers) above and beyond what is required by federal law; hence, absolutely - the law does not prevent exceptions or a condition precedent, because they are voluntary.

It does not mean they have a right to deny reimbursement in totality; it simply means one would be liable for $50 instead of zero (given the appropriate steps).

Quote:

Just go to Reddit and see all the denied reimbursements people have had with debit cards .
Social media isn't federal law (and not everyone follows the appropriate steps i.e. taking over sixty days to report it from receipt of statement). This is my point relative to the OP's story. Had it not been for an overdraft notification, when would she have even noticed the error she signed-off on?

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 03-25-2021 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: added quote/response

Old 03-25-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Zero liability is offered (by some card issuers) above and beyond what is required by federal law; hence, absolutely - the law does not prevent exceptions or a condition precedent, because they are voluntary.

It does not mean they have a right to deny reimbursement in totality; it simply means one would be liable for $50 instead of zero (given the appropriate steps).

Social media isn't federal law (and not everyone follows the appropriate steps i.e. taking over sixty days to report it from receipt of statement). This is my point relative to the OP's story. Had it not been for an overdraft notification, when would she have even noticed the error she signed-off on?
Believe what You like

Old 03-25-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Believe what You like
It's not a matter of belief (or Reddit); it's knowledge of law. ;-)

Old 03-25-2021, 03:59 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I assume the credit card company will straighten this out. Myself, I'm outraged at the thought that a cup of coffee cost $5.70.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:12 AM

Quote:
It's not a matter of belief (or Reddit); it's knowledge of law. ;-)
No ,it is only law when it goes by plan and is not contested by rthe bank ...despite laws we are are filled with un reimbursed cases because there were other factors ...we see them all the time on our nightly news seven on your side where they try to intervene

Old 03-26-2021, 02:16 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I assume the credit card company will straighten this out. Myself, I'm outraged at the thought that a cup of coffee cost $5.70.
You're technically paying for the milk, sugar, and the barista's skill at pulling espresso shots. More accurately you pay that much for a coffee flavored milkshake.

Regular drip black coffee from a shop costs $2.00-3.50 depending on size, same as any diner, IHOP, etc..

Or you could go to McDonald's where its still $1.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance