Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 11:24 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Uh, working and investing are not mutually exclusive, many of us do both. Also, providing capital is a service of value in any but the most primitive economy. It is not "extraction".

Slumlords don't extract?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 11:29 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Yet another thread hijacked...

Old 10-25-2016, 12:05 PM

589 posts, read 391,026 times
imagine how much rent could be paid with $10,000,000,000,000 or bridges built , or hungry african kids could be fed, tents for haitians, etc.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:06 PM

589 posts, read 391,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Slumlords don't extract?
You provide what the clients want. The boys n girls in the hood want slum-aments.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:04 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times
Quote:
She overspends and counts on the rent to pay for it? (There are times I worked two jobs so that my landlord could work zero jobs.)
As Ronald Reagan would say, "there you go again."

Her life is no concern to you. You should be concerned about your own however. But you've neglected it your whole life and now IT IS WHAT IT IS. You aren't willing to change so it's only gonna get worse.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:06 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times
Quote:
Maybe investors should get jobs and become productive members of society rather than extractors?
Investors create jobs and thousands of opportunities for people who will take advantage of them to better themselves. Unlike a few people who post tens of thousands of times on this thread instead of trying to better themselves.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:09 PM

473 posts, read 502,722 times
Look up your local Salvation Army Emergency Services (not thrift store). These social workers know all the programs in the city so probably can get you some assistance. Can also look up Craigslist > gigs and find some local work. Is excellent source of odd jobs in most cities...Cleaning, yard work, packing/unpacking, painting, demolition, vehicles moved around state, graphic design, writing, senior/disabled care, events to work... Saved my -ss once when screwed out of job by my new boss couple months after I moved to city on credit card. Found enough work from Craigslist and focus groups (Craigslist > Jobs > ETC), I was able to pay the bills for the month plus a bit more. Focus groups are panel of consumers brought together by a company thinking about new product or new business and have to prove to lender there are interested customers. These usually pay on the spot but may be pre-paid cash card...Need to get really involved in conversation and can be regular way to make money....The focus group companies like to call back the really talkative ones...Just give your opinion about an idea, advertising or product...

Old 10-26-2016, 08:17 PM

473 posts, read 502,722 times
SEction 8 in city can be 3-4 year wait and only taking applications during limited 1-2 weeks a year. Small town section 8 can get you in faster but pay is lower. Can find lots of small town section 8 information on craigslist...Could try looking on craigslist for room/board and take job as nanny or housekeeper elsewhere/nearby. Ask for references and background check of boss, will expect same for you I'm sure. Lots of these take kids...Some of the elder or disabled person care may accept well behaved child....

Old 06-25-2017, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 750 times
Default Same situation

6/25/2017

I am sorry to hear about all your problems, but I have one question. Why are you paying your son's insurance?

Your response sounds like I could have written it myself. I live in St. Louis, MO and there is no money available anywhere. I am 72 and have been looking for a job for over a year. I do have experience in many fields, but would like to work part-time with plants or in a nursery OR in a large chain that has a store near me. I have had a lot of experience in both fields, but I can't seem to find anyone who is hiring. I have filled out their applications on line and have even gone far enough to take my resume into them.

I also have a pinched nerve in my left shoulder or neck that is making my hand numb and arthritis in both thumbs that has gone to the point that the doctors want to do surgery. I am pushing through as much as I can. I had help from the St. Vincent DePaul Society, but they don't want to help me anymore because they have helped me several times already. I have tried so many different agencies, but no one seems to have any money to help me with part of my rent.

I do have recurring bills every month and was able to pay those, except for my rent and utilities. Now, because the government has made a mistake which I am trying to fix, I am no longer eligible for Medicaid and my Food Stamps have been reduced from $194 to $47 per month.

I don't know how much longer my car will hold up as it is 22 years old with 208,xxx miles on it. I know I need a newer car, but right now I am just concerned about my rent.

I am at a loss as to where to go for help for part of my rent, as most places will donate $200. I do not know what to do at this point.

I am wishing you all the luck in the world and will be praying for you. Maybe really looking at what you buy and seeing if you really NEED it or if it is just a WANT. I did find a food pantry to help me and some churches have food pantries also... but it sounds to me like you need some help paying rent as I do. They always tell you to talk to the landlord first to explain the situation and see if they will work something out with you. I have done this to no avail, so I am back asking for help to pay $200 of my rent. It would be nice if the whole thing could be paid, but I am finding out that every place I have checked will contribute only $200 towards rent and will pay the rental company directly.

Let me know if you come up with a solution. I absolutely don't know where to go either. Thanks. 6/25/2017

Old 06-25-2017, 01:26 PM

902 posts, read 863,854 times
Wow,

You actually hand delivered an application. That's really going above and beyond.

The Lord helps those who help themselves. Maybe you should put just the tiniest sliver of effort into your over 1 year long job search for a minimum wage job. Minimum wage jobs are so easy to get, they'll hire someone who has zero skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance