Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 04:24 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,725,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I see people carrying around small dogs in various places like malls and stores all the time. To be honest, it's not my style (I'm a cat and big dog person) but it certainly doesn't offend me. In fact, I can't recall ever hearing one of these small dogs yapping or seen it drooling. They seem to be very quiet and well behaved. In addition, I'm happy that the owner has a pet and happy that the dog is getting an outing instead of being left home alone. Frankly, the vehemence of the response against such dogs in public has me confounded.

I used to be a big dog person, but, then I got a small dog when I had to rehome my wonderful wonderful GSD's and I love them every bit as much as big ones. They are just different All dogs and cats are great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 09:24 AM

564 posts, read 747,736 times
Stormynh, it doesn't really enter your skull how annoying and inconsiderate you are, does it?

Old 09-08-2015, 09:52 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
So you're saying a person could not bring their service dog (and let's say it is without question a legit service dog, such as a guide dog for the blind) into the store because the employee is allergic?

There is NO place, other than one's own home, where one can expect never to come into proximity with a service animal. If the allergic person can not be prepared to deal with an unexpected severe reaction whenever he/she is out in public, then, yes, as harsh as it sounds that person had better stay home and be safe.
No, what I'm saying is that a person who is allergic can deal with the service dog issue as it arises but that they should not UNNECESSARILY be exposed to dogs that are brought into stores just because someone felt like bringing Fluffy along for the fun of it.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:36 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
My partner and I were in a local hardware store over the weekend. As we were looking for some supplies for our current project, I felt something press against my leg. I looked down and saw a terrier type dog whose owner at the other end of the leash was paying it absolutely no mind. When I said, "excuse me, would you mind moving your dog", she looked at me like I had just threatened to kill her first born. She eventually moved the dog, but not without commenting about how some people just hate animals.

I don't like strange dogs coming up to me like that. Certainly, I can go into a hardware store and not have that happen, right? Nope, and this was definitely not the first time. Why would this person's desire to take their companion animal into a hardware store trump other peoples' desire not to be around them?

Old 09-08-2015, 01:13 PM

14,955 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
BEST POST EVER!!!!!

People who bring their dogs into places that are not suppose to have them are totally disrespectful!
I always think that they are people that have nothing special about them, but they want the attention. Kind of like the ugly girl who is trying to hang beside a beautiful girl. They want attention, but since they are so ugly they have to use something else to bring attention to themselves. Pathetic!
IMO it isn't about attention for these folks. I think basically they want to be able to take their dogs anywhere they go, and do so regardless of what anyone else may think. Kind of goes along with an overblown sense of entitlement in some cases. Other cases they figure "everyone does it" , no one will say anything, and besides Wittle Phydeaux is so adorable and well behaved that no one who sees him will be able to resist his adorableness.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:22 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I bring my little seven pound dog into Dunkins all the time. Everybody thinks she is so cute....I enjoy it also and I think she makes most people happy and the ones that get annoyed well they are not worth worrying about
So it's not worth worrying about the people that don't want animals around food?

You should worry. I'm a HUGE dog lover, and most of my waking hours revolved around my dogs, their care, exercise and training. But I don't want strange dogs around my food.

I guess you'd be the one "annoyed" when I complained to the store, threatening to turn them in to the health department.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:27 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I used to be a big dog person, but, then I got a small dog when I had to rehome my wonderful wonderful GSD's and I love them every bit as much as big ones. They are just different All dogs and cats are great!
LOL. You looooooovvvvvveeeee your dogs sooooooo much, that you gave them away? Then got another dog?

Old 09-08-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Walmart allows dogs and cats in the store. The policy was that only the greeter could enquire if a animal was a service animal. Walmart has discontinued the use of door greeters so customers bring in their animals at ease. Most are well behaved (the animals at least) a few defecate at will and owners usually make no attempt or apology for the mess.
This will come to a head soon. Someone will get bit or a walmart will be shut down on health code violations.
You know according to the ADA laws, even a service animal who is disruptive, or who pees and poops in an establishment can be required to leave. You can betcha if I were a store owner facing a disruptive or unhousebroken dog making it hazardous or miserable for other customers, he would be out on his ear. You don't have to put up with that.

That said, I would bet that if a real service dog became ill or for some reason unable to carry out his professional responsibilities, his owner wouldn't have him out in public.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Walmart doesn't necessarily ALLOW "dogs and cats in the store" but people bring them in all the time anyway. We still have door greeters and, still, they are only allowed to ask if they are bringing in a service animal. The ones that are really service animals all have the leashes and vests that SAY so. We have one lady who brings hers in and usually has another one with her "in training". Beautiful and well behaved dogs. The people who bring in tiny bundles of cuteness...puppies and kittens...are NOT bringing in service animals. They bring them because they are tiny, cute and they 'love' them. They 'love' the oooohs and awwwws they get for them. Sorry, but they don't get those from me.

Again today we had a big dog barking and growling at people in the store. Not a service animal but someone's beloved big dog. I'm just waiting for one to really attack someone...
Wow, cats too? I've never seen a cat brought into a store or other business, but I know a lot more folks (including a number of my close family members) who are allergic to cats than I do folks allergic to dogs. Thankfully I think cats are a lot more resistant to being stuffed into a purse or container and carted around like luggage than dogs are, so I would hope never to see many "service" cats being dragged around stores by their owners who can't spend a minute without them.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:19 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,725,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
LOL. You looooooovvvvvveeeee your dogs sooooooo much, that you gave them away? Then got another dog?

I did because my husband died and I had to move and couldn't keep my big dogs in a tiny apartment. I hated to let them go, but, now they have a great home. I cried every day, but, there needs came first. My home was taken away because my husband being an alcoholic had stopped paying the mortgage so it wasn't what I wanted to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets