Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 05:42 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,633,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I bring my little seven pound dog into Dunkins all the time. Everybody thinks she is so cute....I enjoy it also and I think she makes most people happy and the ones that get annoyed well they are not worth worrying about
People like you are one of the biggest reasons I can't stand dogs - you're a selfish, irresponsible pet owner who (instead of properly training and caring for the animal that is entrusted to you) deliberately puts your poor dog in the position of annoying innocent people partly because you find it entertaining. And one of the results of that is that those of us who do not like dogs, and do find it annoying to have some neurotic, yapping little laprat drooling and barking while we're trying to enjoy a meal are going to wind up (guess what?) hating dogs and dog owners even more.

So congratulations. Your selfishness and lack of responsibility is not only making life more unpleasant for people who don't like dogs, but making it much harder on responsible dog owners, who have a rougher time finding acceptance for their dogs because of the actions of people like you.

You find that amusing, as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 05:51 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,474,981 times
I have taken my dog ONLY to a restaurant that has an open patio where it specifically says dogs are allowed (well behaved, on a leash). I would take my dog to a dog park, but I really don't want him to be exposed to whatever. I think the pet supply stores like PetSmart allow dogs even if they are not there to be groomed. Real Service Pets are, of course, allowed. Other than that, I don't think someone dogs belong in businesses (other than dog/pet related businesses that allow them. I walk my dog on a leash in my community, don't allow him to whiz/poo on anyone's property and I take care of his poo immediately. I expect the same courtesy. That said, I don't mind dogs where they are clearly allowed if they are well behaved. I love to meet other pet owners. More than anything, I want to protect my dog. I had a a really bad experience with someone who reacted poorly to my friendly cocker spaniel puppy years ago...

Old 09-06-2015, 05:56 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Quote:
Well she could encounter one on the street as well so what is the answer ......
Let me break this concept up into very tiny pieces for you.

She took a job in a store that did not allow dogs. Therefore she had a reasonable expectation of not dealing with dogs in the course of her job (as would anyone who took a job in, say, a Dunkin Donuts or anyone patronizing a Dunkin Donuts).

When she is outside on the street (rather than indoors in an enclosed space) she can easily move away from the animal and out of the range of its dander/saliva/fur, plus greater air circulation means she is unlikely to have a severe reaction.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:00 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Walmart allows dogs and cats in the store. The policy was that only the greeter could enquire if a animal was a service animal. Walmart has discontinued the use of door greeters so customers bring in their animals at ease. Most are well behaved (the animals at least) a few defecate at will and owners usually make no attempt or apology for the mess.
This will come to a head soon. Someone will get bit or a walmart will be shut down on health code violations.
Walmart doesn't necessarily ALLOW "dogs and cats in the store" but people bring them in all the time anyway. We still have door greeters and, still, they are only allowed to ask if they are bringing in a service animal. The ones that are really service animals all have the leashes and vests that SAY so. We have one lady who brings hers in and usually has another one with her "in training". Beautiful and well behaved dogs. The people who bring in tiny bundles of cuteness...puppies and kittens...are NOT bringing in service animals. They bring them because they are tiny, cute and they 'love' them. They 'love' the oooohs and awwwws they get for them. Sorry, but they don't get those from me.

Again today we had a big dog barking and growling at people in the store. Not a service animal but someone's beloved big dog. I'm just waiting for one to really attack someone...

Old 09-06-2015, 06:02 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
this deathly allergic" issue realy bugs me...both as a service dog owner AND as someone with sever allergies.
1: if you were that DEATHLY allergic, the dog and cat dander on peoples clothes (cause if you are an animal owner, unless you dress and exit your home in a sterile room with no contact whatsoever with your pets, you ARE carrying dander on your clothing) would be just as much of an issue....
2: I don't get to tell people they cant wear that perfume, or brush past me wearing that wool sweater (both things I'm hyper sensitive to, lanolin and certain perfumes)
I cant stop stores putting easter lilies (highly allergic) at their store entrances during the spring season, I cant stop them from putting baskets full of enough cinnamon scented junk (another SEVER allergy that has my eyeballs and throat swelling) to be smelt from orbit right by their front entrances throught the entire fall period..
I don't get to say "no you cant ome in here because I'm allergic to YOU (or something your wearing/carrying)
my service dog can actually help me with those things (she can smell things long before I can and lead me away, she can get help when I cant ect...
3: the FEAR/PHOBIA excuse...
Seriously? my life has to be interrupted because YOU are afraid? my service dog is a Doberman...ive had people literally usher their kids across the street just because they saw her because shes apparently terrifying....we IGNORE them..because shes working and that person is an idiot...
I'm Afraid of many things, I have agoraphobia, and social and general anxiety, I have a large number of irrational and rational fears...doesn't mean I can tell other people they cant do those things...
if your afraid of my dog...feel free to take another isle, or walk away, or even cross the street....but seriously....it would be so much better if you just completely ignore the fact that shes there because YOU (as in the royal version) are a distraction to my working animal.

again I'm NOT one of those people that thinks fluffy should accompany his designer purse wielding socialite ownere to every place they go like some fluffy fashon accessory...
I'm NOT one of those people that feels that every dog belongs every place....
ESPECIALLY as a service dog handler, I work incredibly hard with my dog every day to ensure she is not only on her best behavior but that both of us are working as an efficient team while reminaing as unobtrusive as possible...and ill behaved pets being toted round like prizes are often a problem (we had one little terrier mix claiming to be a ptsd dog try and attack my 80lb dobe who had absolutely NO clue how she was supposed to react to that and thankfully just backed off and sat behind me to avoid confrontation) so NO I dont belive that every dog should be taken every where...

but you need to come up with better arguments against if you want to be taken seriously....
fear: seriously, NO
allergies: if your that allergic to being in the same room as a dog, mabe YOU should just stay home?
cleanliness: 10 mins in the produce dept of ANY grocery store will tell you that humans are MUCH grosser than even the mangiest dog...between snotty children whipping their faces on things to snotty ADULTS coughing on the apples/not covering their sneezes...I saw one woman with an obvious cold pick up an apple shove it right up against her face, take a big sniff, use her sleave to then whipe the apple off and put it right back....EWW!
have you ever been in a public bathroom, HUMANS are DISCUSTING!!!
noise? youll only hear my dog if I'm having a medical emergency and shes doing her job...kids having a temper tantrum however...common place....
distraction? how is your lack of ability to pay attention my problem?
Danger: ive been bitten by more children than I have animals, and Ive worked at a dog daycare, vets clinic petstore and zoo...

beyond the argument that many human beings are idiots who dont properly train or socialize their dogs, ive yet to see a legitimate argument against dogs in public places...
and again other than service dogs I dont belive the general dog SHOULD be in most public places....but still not seen many REAL arguments that I would think...hmm, valid point.
I will agree with you on most of your point, except for the one about allergies. With allergies, someone has every right to expect not to encounter a dog in a place where dogs are not allowed. If you have a service dog who needs to accompany you, that trumps their allergies I guess, but I find it interesting that you suggest highly allergic people should just stay home. Couldn't it just as easily be said that if you can't go anywhere without a dog YOU should stay home?

I have no problem with service dogs, but when every dumbass with a purse-sized dog thinks they get to bring it with them wherever, then yeah, I have a problem. I bring my dogs as many places as I can - dog-friendly patio restaurants, dog parks, outdoor hikes, dog sports, parties, picnics, whatever. But they aren't service dogs and they don't need to go everywhere I go.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Again today we had a big dog barking and growling at people in the store. Not a service animal but someone's beloved big dog. I'm just waiting for one to really attack someone...
And then they sue Walmart for allowing the dog on the premises, citing a reasonable expectation that there would be no dogs in the store, and Walmart claims they had no choice because federal law does not allow them to verify whether a dog is a genuine service animal. And they would be right.

This is why the ADA regulation needs to be changed. Business owners have to be given a means of keeping non-service dogs out of their places of business. The business owners and their customers alike all have that right.

I don't see what the problem is. My wife is severely disabled, and can hardly walk any distance more than a few yards. Anyone watching her try would clearly know that she is disabled, yet she is not allowed to park in a handicapped space without her placard. Which we both understand, and have no problem with. Nobody has any objections to requiring people with disabilities to prove they're disabled when they're parking their car; why should anyone object to making them prove their dog is a service animal? It makes no sense to me. There are too many selfish, irresponsible dog owners taking advantage of this loophole, as we see right here in this thread. That loophole is easy to fix, and needs to be taken care of.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:36 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
And then they sue Walmart for allowing the dog on the premises, citing a reasonable expectation that there would be no dogs in the store, and Walmart claims they had no choice because federal law does not allow them to verify whether a dog is a genuine service animal. And they would be right.

This is why the ADA regulation needs to be changed. Business owners have to be given a means of keeping non-service dogs out of their places of business. The business owners and their customers alike all have that right.

I don't see what the problem is. My wife is severely disabled, and can hardly walk any distance more than a few yards. Anyone watching her try would clearly know that she is disabled, yet she is not allowed to park in a handicapped space without her placard. Which we both understand, and have no problem with. Nobody has any objections to requiring people with disabilities to prove they're disabled when they're parking their car; why should anyone object to making them prove their dog is a service animal? It makes no sense to me. There are too many selfish, irresponsible dog owners taking advantage of this loophole, as we see right here in this thread. That loophole is easy to fix, and needs to be taken care of.
I couldn't agree more. But whenever I have made similar posts here on CD, I get pretty angry responses from people claiming it would be too expensive to require service animals be licensed, it would be discriminatory, blah blah blah.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:48 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,725,804 times
Quote:
People like you are one of the biggest reasons I can't stand dogs - you're a selfish, irresponsible pet owner who (instead of properly training and caring for the animal that is entrusted to you) deliberately puts your poor dog in the position of annoying innocent people partly because you find it entertaining. And one of the results of that is that those of us who do not like dogs, and do find it annoying to have some neurotic, yapping little laprat drooling and barking while we're trying to enjoy a meal are going to wind up (guess what?) hating dogs and dog owners even more.

So congratulations. Your selfishness and lack of responsibility is not only making life more unpleasant for people who don't like dogs, but making it much harder on responsible dog owners, who have a rougher time finding acceptance for their dogs because of the actions of people like you.

Neurotic, yapping drooling???? Please settle down. Petting an animal would calm you down a lot.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Neurotic, yapping drooling???? Please settle down. Petting an animal would calm you down a lot.
I am perfectly calm, thank you very much! I'm surrounded by 3 purring, half-asleep cats at the moment.

But I stand by what I said about yapping, drooling laprats. OK, the "laprats" remark is excessive - but I don't like dogs, and I probably dislike most small dogs more than most large dogs. And part of the reason for that is because they often tend to yap their damned heads off whenever they're out in public, and yeah, drool. I get sick and tired of going to parks or other public places and having someone else's dog come running up to me, jump all over me, and drool on me because their irresponsible owner has helped condition them to believe that strangers love to have them jump all over them.

I realize that my dislike for dogs seems unreasonable and off-putting for a lot of people, and I understand and accept that. I recognize that the vast majority of dog owners are considerate people who take the responsibility of dog ownership seriously, but the irresponsible minority is largely to blame for the intensity of my dislike for dogs. I already don't care much for them because I find them basically annoying, but I could take them or leave them if I weren't tripping over them so often when I go out in public. If I weren't stepping in dog crap every time I mow my lawn or walk in a park, or lying awake at night because all 3 of my idiot neighbor's dogs are barking their fool heads off at each other, or having to swat away uncontrolled dogs when I go to the store, I'd be a lot more tolerant of them, but the irresponsible dog owners have ruined it for the responsible ones. The selfishness and irresponsibility of some dog owners has moved me from "take 'em or leave 'em" to what is now an intense, passionate dislike for dogs.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:

Well said Albert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets