Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 01:32 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I worked in a retail bookstore. A lady brought a small dog into the store and the girl working behind the counter turned pale as she approached and literally ran out of the department. She was severely allergic to dogs and could have had an allergy attack right then and there if she hadn't gotten away in time.

But obviously it's all about you.
Well she could encounter one on the street as well so what is the answer ......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 07:11 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
this deathly allergic" issue realy bugs me...both as a service dog owner AND as someone with sever allergies.
1: if you were that DEATHLY allergic, the dog and cat dander on peoples clothes (cause if you are an animal owner, unless you dress and exit your home in a sterile room with no contact whatsoever with your pets, you ARE carrying dander on your clothing) would be just as much of an issue....
2: I don't get to tell people they cant wear that perfume, or brush past me wearing that wool sweater (both things I'm hyper sensitive to, lanolin and certain perfumes)
I cant stop stores putting easter lilies (highly allergic) at their store entrances during the spring season, I cant stop them from putting baskets full of enough cinnamon scented junk (another SEVER allergy that has my eyeballs and throat swelling) to be smelt from orbit right by their front entrances throught the entire fall period..
I don't get to say "no you cant ome in here because I'm allergic to YOU (or something your wearing/carrying)
my service dog can actually help me with those things (she can smell things long before I can and lead me away, she can get help when I cant ect...
3: the FEAR/PHOBIA excuse...
Seriously? my life has to be interrupted because YOU are afraid? my service dog is a Doberman...ive had people literally usher their kids across the street just because they saw her because shes apparently terrifying....we IGNORE them..because shes working and that person is an idiot...
I'm Afraid of many things, I have agoraphobia, and social and general anxiety, I have a large number of irrational and rational fears...doesn't mean I can tell other people they cant do those things...
if your afraid of my dog...feel free to take another isle, or walk away, or even cross the street....but seriously....it would be so much better if you just completely ignore the fact that shes there because YOU (as in the royal version) are a distraction to my working animal.

again I'm NOT one of those people that thinks fluffy should accompany his designer purse wielding socialite ownere to every place they go like some fluffy fashon accessory...
I'm NOT one of those people that feels that every dog belongs every place....
ESPECIALLY as a service dog handler, I work incredibly hard with my dog every day to ensure she is not only on her best behavior but that both of us are working as an efficient team while reminaing as unobtrusive as possible...and ill behaved pets being toted round like prizes are often a problem (we had one little terrier mix claiming to be a ptsd dog try and attack my 80lb dobe who had absolutely NO clue how she was supposed to react to that and thankfully just backed off and sat behind me to avoid confrontation) so NO I dont belive that every dog should be taken every where...

but you need to come up with better arguments against if you want to be taken seriously....
fear: seriously, NO
allergies: if your that allergic to being in the same room as a dog, mabe YOU should just stay home?
cleanliness: 10 mins in the produce dept of ANY grocery store will tell you that humans are MUCH grosser than even the mangiest dog...between snotty children whipping their faces on things to snotty ADULTS coughing on the apples/not covering their sneezes...I saw one woman with an obvious cold pick up an apple shove it right up against her face, take a big sniff, use her sleave to then whipe the apple off and put it right back....EWW!
have you ever been in a public bathroom, HUMANS are DISCUSTING!!!
noise? youll only hear my dog if I'm having a medical emergency and shes doing her job...kids having a temper tantrum however...common place....
distraction? how is your lack of ability to pay attention my problem?
Danger: ive been bitten by more children than I have animals, and Ive worked at a dog daycare, vets clinic petstore and zoo...

beyond the argument that many human beings are idiots who dont properly train or socialize their dogs, ive yet to see a legitimate argument against dogs in public places...
and again other than service dogs I dont belive the general dog SHOULD be in most public places....but still not seen many REAL arguments that I would think...hmm, valid point.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:38 AM

682 posts, read 717,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
I have never posted in this particular forum of city data....in fact it's been years since I posted anything anywhere.....

But I have to chime in on this one.....

Allow me to preface my statements by saying...

I LOVE dogs
I am a dog owner (female Great Danes)
I am a Military Veteran
I LOVE dogs

That being said.....

Who the heck do you people think you are bringing your dogs into stores where the GENERAL PUBLIC may be encountered?

These so called "strangers" that people don't seem to care if they offend have EVERY REASONABLE RIGHT to go to a store and not expect people to have dogs walking around.....

IT'S NOT "YOUR WORLD"

IT'S "OUR WORLD"

It isn't about YOUR PARTICULAR DOG NOT BOTHERING ANYONE..... IT IS ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF ANY DOG BOTHERING OR SCARING OR DISTURBING OTHER PEOPLE WHO MAY NOT BE COMFORTABLE AROUND DOGS....

And those people who may not be comfortable around dogs are not coming onto YOUR PROPERTY and complaining about your dogs.....

THEY ARE OUT IN PUBLIC......AND THEREFORE SHOULDN'T BE PUT IN A POSITION BY SOMEONE ELSE WHO IS OUT IN PUBLIC....

In the military, you are taught the difference between a "COMMON AREA" and a "PRIVATE AREA"....

ANY REASONABLE ADULT SHOULD UNDERSTAND THAT YOU SHOULD ACT DIFFERENTLY WHEN YOU ARE IN A "COMMON AREA" THAN WHEN YOU ARE IN A "PRIVATE AREA"......

Again......

I (or anyone else for that matter) are not "GUESTS" in "YOUR WORLD".......

Can u imagine people's reactions if I walked into Home Depot with my 115lb black Great Dane?.......

I would never do such a thing because I have RESPECT FOR OTHERS.......

There are a handful of people in my neighborhood who "walk" their dogs with no leash......

WHO THE HECK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?...........

WHAT ABOUT THE HOMEOWNERS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD WHO MAY NOT LIKE OR BE COMFORTABLE WITH DOGS?......

They have every right to be out in the COMMON AREAS of the neighborhood and not expect to see dogs off leash......

TO ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME........

IT'S NOT ABOUT YOUR PARTICULAR DOG.......IT'S ABOUT RESPECT FOR OTHERS

I am a very good driver.....

Should I be able to have my own 100mph speed limit on a 45mph road because "I'm not hurting anyone.....I'm a really good driver"........the answer is no.....

Because my driving would be AFFECTING OTHER PEOPLE WHO ARE OUT IN PUBLIC......

If anyone who disagrees with this was in the Military at any time.....I would be shocked....

IT'S ABOUT RESPECT FOR OTHERS
IT'S NOT YOUR PLANET
YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL
YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL
YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL

LEARN THE FREAKING DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PUBLIC BEHAVIOR AND PRIVATE BEHAVIOR.

KEEP YOUR DOG'S AT HOME UNLESS THERE IS A REASONABLE EXPECTATION THAT DOG'S WILL FREQUENT THE ESTABLISHMENT.....

Rest assured that my beautiful, gentle, and extremely well behaved Great Danes will be at my house unless I'm at a dog park, dog event, or out for a walk with them......

Because I have respect for other adults when I'm out in public.

BEST POST EVER!!!!!

People who bring their dogs into places that are not suppose to have them are totally disrespectful!
I always think that they are people that have nothing special about them, but they want the attention. Kind of like the ugly girl who is trying to hang beside a beautiful girl. They want attention, but since they are so ugly they have to use something else to bring attention to themselves. Pathetic!

Old 09-05-2015, 08:45 AM

allergies: if your that allergic to being in the same room as a dog, mabe YOU should just stay home? quoted by foxywench

That is the worst argument I have ever heard. It shows your mental stability.

3: the FEAR/PHOBIA excuse... quoted by foxywench

Really? You believe that people are being "silly" for being afraid of a dog?! My mother was mauled by a neighbor's dog when she was a child. If the neighbor hadn't gotten the dog off of her, it would have killed her. As a result, my mother is still deathly afraid of ALL dogs. Its the same thing as almost drowning and now being afraid of being in water. I never had a dog when I was growing up because of this, but I do now. My mom is afraid of my little pug when she comes to visit so I don't subject her to my dog. I just put my dog in my bedroom for the little bit of time she is there and that is fine for all parties involved. My dog doesn't know any difference because she loves sleeping on my bed and my mom doesn't have to be around my dog.
People like my mom should not have to worry about going into a grocery store to get milk and encountering somebody's little "pookie" being in there.
I'll repeat what I said earlier about your allergy remedy...
"That is the worst argument I have ever heard. It shows your mental stability"

By the way most of the people on here are NOT talking about working service dogs. They are talking about people bringing their pets into stores that are NOT working dogs.
It sounds to me like you have a hang up about people reacting to your Doberman service dog.

Last edited by beckerd2; 09-05-2015 at 09:02 AM..

Old 09-05-2015, 09:00 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
Walmart allows dogs and cats in the store. The policy was that only the greeter could enquire if a animal was a service animal. Walmart has discontinued the use of door greeters so customers bring in their animals at ease. Most are well behaved (the animals at least) a few defecate at will and owners usually make no attempt or apology for the mess.
This will come to a head soon. Someone will get bit or a walmart will be shut down on health code violations.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Walmart allows dogs and cats in the store. The policy was that only the greeter could enquire if a animal was a service animal. Walmart has discontinued the use of door greeters so customers bring in their animals at ease. Most are well behaved (the animals at least) a few defecate at will and owners usually make no attempt or apology for the mess.
This will come to a head soon. Someone will get bit or a walmart will be shut down on health code violations.

Can you imagine if somebody would slip on the dog's mess in Walmart? Who would you sue? Walmart or the piece of crap owner's who brought the dog in to the store. I would guess Walmart.
Hmm, maybe I should follow those people around when I'm in Walmart next time. Once their dog makes a mess, I'll slip in it and be set for life. I'm willing to take one for the team! lol

Old 09-05-2015, 09:20 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
IT'S ABOUT RESPECT FOR OTHERS
IT'S NOT YOUR PLANET
YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL
YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL
YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
BEST POST EVER!!!!!
DRB hit the nail on the head.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:34 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
this deathly allergic" issue realy bugs me...both as a service dog owner AND as someone with sever allergies.
1: if you were that DEATHLY allergic, the dog and cat dander on peoples clothes (cause if you are an animal owner, unless you dress and exit your home in a sterile room with no contact whatsoever with your pets, you ARE carrying dander on your clothing) would be just as much of an issue....
2: I don't get to tell people they cant wear that perfume, or brush past me wearing that wool sweater (both things I'm hyper sensitive to, lanolin and certain perfumes)
I cant stop stores putting easter lilies (highly allergic) at their store entrances during the spring season, I cant stop them from putting baskets full of enough cinnamon scented junk (another SEVER allergy that has my eyeballs and throat swelling) to be smelt from orbit right by their front entrances throught the entire fall period..
I don't get to say "no you cant ome in here because I'm allergic to YOU (or something your wearing/carrying)
my service dog can actually help me with those things (she can smell things long before I can and lead me away, she can get help when I cant ect...
3: the FEAR/PHOBIA excuse...
Seriously? my life has to be interrupted because YOU are afraid? my service dog is a Doberman...ive had people literally usher their kids across the street just because they saw her because shes apparently terrifying....we IGNORE them..because shes working and that person is an idiot...
I'm Afraid of many things, I have agoraphobia, and social and general anxiety, I have a large number of irrational and rational fears...doesn't mean I can tell other people they cant do those things...
if your afraid of my dog...feel free to take another isle, or walk away, or even cross the street....but seriously....it would be so much better if you just completely ignore the fact that shes there because YOU (as in the royal version) are a distraction to my working animal.

again I'm NOT one of those people that thinks fluffy should accompany his designer purse wielding socialite ownere to every place they go like some fluffy fashon accessory...
I'm NOT one of those people that feels that every dog belongs every place....
ESPECIALLY as a service dog handler, I work incredibly hard with my dog every day to ensure she is not only on her best behavior but that both of us are working as an efficient team while reminaing as unobtrusive as possible...and ill behaved pets being toted round like prizes are often a problem (we had one little terrier mix claiming to be a ptsd dog try and attack my 80lb dobe who had absolutely NO clue how she was supposed to react to that and thankfully just backed off and sat behind me to avoid confrontation) so NO I dont belive that every dog should be taken every where...

but you need to come up with better arguments against if you want to be taken seriously....
fear: seriously, NO
allergies: if your that allergic to being in the same room as a dog, mabe YOU should just stay home?
cleanliness: 10 mins in the produce dept of ANY grocery store will tell you that humans are MUCH grosser than even the mangiest dog...between snotty children whipping their faces on things to snotty ADULTS coughing on the apples/not covering their sneezes...I saw one woman with an obvious cold pick up an apple shove it right up against her face, take a big sniff, use her sleave to then whipe the apple off and put it right back....EWW!
have you ever been in a public bathroom, HUMANS are DISCUSTING!!!
noise? youll only hear my dog if I'm having a medical emergency and shes doing her job...kids having a temper tantrum however...common place....
distraction? how is your lack of ability to pay attention my problem?
Danger: ive been bitten by more children than I have animals, and Ive worked at a dog daycare, vets clinic petstore and zoo...

beyond the argument that many human beings are idiots who dont properly train or socialize their dogs, ive yet to see a legitimate argument against dogs in public places...
and again other than service dogs I dont belive the general dog SHOULD be in most public places....but still not seen many REAL arguments that I would think...hmm, valid point.
That is an awesome service dog! Dobermans are so beautiful!!!!

Old 09-06-2015, 05:00 PM

8,068 posts, read 4,743,239 times
Quote:
Walmart allows dogs and cats in the store. The policy was that only the
greeter could enquire if a animal was a service animal. Walmart has discontinued
the use of door greeters so customers bring in their animals at ease.
Not really. They don't allow them, but they don't tend to police the situation (that is, tell the person to get their animal and leave). So it's not okay for them to do it; Wal-Mart just doesn't want to create a scene (and a potential PR issue and/or lawsuit) with the jerks who are just ignoring the wishes of the store management (and the wishes of management of ANY business that sells food and has Health Department inspections regularly).

In a similar situation with a Publix customer several years ago, a manager asked someone to leave with their pet. The customer sued for emotional distress or some such (self-inflicted embarrassment?) and used that tedious, impossible-to-quantify "emotional support animal" excuse and the courts found in the pet owner's favor. From that moment onward, it was unofficial policy (at least around here) that no Publix manager was allowed to ask someone with an animal (service animal or obvious pet) to leave, no matter the chaos they may cause. Pity the poor store manager who is in the midst of a Health Department inspection when Special Snowflake Granny shows up with Fifi on a rhinestone leash, letting Fifi lift her leg on the produce tables.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:34 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Not sure if you understand the difference between a human and a canine at this stage.
One difference appears to be that many dogs have a better developed sense of right and wrong than many of their human counterparts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets