Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 11:59 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,631,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I couldn't agree more. But whenever I have made similar posts here on CD, I get pretty angry responses from people claiming it would be too expensive to require service animals be licensed, it would be discriminatory, blah blah blah.
They don't have to be licensed, just documented. If a person is legally qualified to have a service animal, they must be diagnosed with a disability, just the same as someone applying for handicapped parking permit. Nobody complains about people needing a document to prove they're entitled to use a handicapped parking space; why would it be any different to prove they're legally entitled to use a service animal? It's just a piece of paper. And how could it be discriminatory? If you're using a service animal, you're already telling everyone that you're disabled, right?

The people who are resisting this need to wake up and realize that the people they're hurting the most are the very people they claim to be fighting for - the legitimately disabled. People who genuinely need service animals are facing increased skepticism and hostility from business owners and the general public because there are so many abled people deliberately committing fraud and passing their pet off as a service animal - which is a federal crime, by the way. These selfish frauds are only hurting the legitimately disabled people, and helping cast a stigma on them that makes their already-difficult lives much harder than they have to be. If you truly care about the rights and the well-being of the disabled, there's no reason at all not to support a regulation allowing business owners and service providers to ask for documentation that the person does, indeed, need a service animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 12:27 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Service dogs can go anywhere.

As a rule, places of business do not allow dogs inside and won't permit it. Were it me and this bothers you, why not ask the managers of these places, why they allow dogs?

When I was socializing my Rottweilers, I only took them to places where I called in advance and received permission. The grocery stores were not on that list.
Actually the reason i started this topic was we were out to supper and some one a few tables over brought in a small dog (laprat) with a huge red jacket saying it was a service dog, well the dog barked and barked through our entire time there totally ruining our dining experience., the manager said he could not even question the woman as it was a service dog and booting her out of the restaurant would incur legal hassles, for the inconvenience the manager reduced our bill, but gee why bring a barking dog to a restaurant?.
The miserable animal in question=
http://www.greatdogsite.com/breeds/d...arles_Spaniel/

Old 09-07-2015, 01:25 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,125,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
They don't have to be licensed, just documented. If a person is legally qualified to have a service animal, they must be diagnosed with a disability, just the same as someone applying for handicapped parking permit. Nobody complains about people needing a document to prove they're entitled to use a handicapped parking space; why would it be any different to prove they're legally entitled to use a service animal? It's just a piece of paper. And how could it be discriminatory? If you're using a service animal, you're already telling everyone that you're disabled, right?

The people who are resisting this need to wake up and realize that the people they're hurting the most are the very people they claim to be fighting for - the legitimately disabled. People who genuinely need service animals are facing increased skepticism and hostility from business owners and the general public because there are so many abled people deliberately committing fraud and passing their pet off as a service animal - which is a federal crime, by the way. These selfish frauds are only hurting the legitimately disabled people, and helping cast a stigma on them that makes their already-difficult lives much harder than they have to be. If you truly care about the rights and the well-being of the disabled, there's no reason at all not to support a regulation allowing business owners and service providers to ask for documentation that the person does, indeed, need a service animal.
People who are not disabled have no idea how much time, effort and money is spent on the various documentation needed for many of our issues. It might be one thing if all the necessary paperwork could be handled by one form from the Doctor, but that is not the case. SSDI, handicapped placards, handicapped van access, durable medical equipment RX, and a whole host of other paperwork that must be taken care of on a regular basis is frankly exhausting.

The visits cost money and it can be truly difficult to travel for the appointments and to the various agencies. Those of us that have difficulty being out and about for more than an hour can end up laid up in bed for a couple of days due to the amount of time it takes to go to an appointment.

Yes, let's make things more difficult for the disabled instead of expecting the non-disabled to act decently!

Old 09-07-2015, 01:38 PM

14,318 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Let me break this concept up into very tiny pieces for you.

She took a job in a store that did not allow dogs. Therefore she had a reasonable expectation of not dealing with dogs in the course of her job (as would anyone who took a job in, say, a Dunkin Donuts or anyone patronizing a Dunkin Donuts).

When she is outside on the street (rather than indoors in an enclosed space) she can easily move away from the animal and out of the range of its dander/saliva/fur, plus greater air circulation means she is unlikely to have a severe reaction.
So you're saying a person could not bring their service dog (and let's say it is without question a legit service dog, such as a guide dog for the blind) into the store because the employee is allergic?

There is NO place, other than one's own home, where one can expect never to come into proximity with a service animal. If the allergic person can not be prepared to deal with an unexpected severe reaction whenever he/she is out in public, then, yes, as harsh as it sounds that person had better stay home and be safe.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:44 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
Like anything people will abuse the system until laws force state licensing and liability insurance for legitimate service animals.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:49 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,204,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Several times the past year i've seen people bring their dogs into restaurants,supermarkets,Big box stores etc. do these people not understand there are rules about where you can bring your dog.? Why the need to bring the dog everywhere you go?
The "rules" are not uniform across the country. Many states prohibit dogs from places where food is served or prepared, but some do not. Certainly dogs are not barred from other retail establishments by law but only by company or owner policy. Some large stores, like Tractor Supply, Home Depot, and Lowe's, allow non-service dogs. Some municipalities, especially in resort areas, allow dogs in outdoor seating areas of restaurants. Many smaller stores and shops not only allow dogs but have their own resident pups ... and occasionally kitties. Numerous hotel and motel chains have gone "pet friendly" in the last several years.

People bring their dogs with them for the same reason that they bring their kids with them; they didn't leave them home.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:28 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
I got no problem with a well trained service dog going anywhere but i do have a problem with people buying a service dog jacket from some online supplier then masquerading their lapdog as a service dog so they bring the untrained dog every where they go.
I cant believe a well trained service dog would continually bark in a restaurant.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:49 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,725,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I am perfectly calm, thank you very much! I'm surrounded by 3 purring, half-asleep cats at the moment.

But I stand by what I said about yapping, drooling laprats. OK, the "laprats" remark is excessive - but I don't like dogs, and I probably dislike most small dogs more than most large dogs. And part of the reason for that is because they often tend to yap their damned heads off whenever they're out in public, and yeah, drool. I get sick and tired of going to parks or other public places and having someone else's dog come running up to me, jump all over me, and drool on me because their irresponsible owner has helped condition them to believe that strangers love to have them jump all over them.

I realize that my dislike for dogs seems unreasonable and off-putting for a lot of people, and I understand and accept that. I recognize that the vast majority of dog owners are considerate people who take the responsibility of dog ownership seriously, but the irresponsible minority is largely to blame for the intensity of my dislike for dogs. I already don't care much for them because I find them basically annoying, but I could take them or leave them if I weren't tripping over them so often when I go out in public. If I weren't stepping in dog crap every time I mow my lawn or walk in a park, or lying awake at night because all 3 of my idiot neighbor's dogs are barking their fool heads off at each other, or having to swat away uncontrolled dogs when I go to the store, I'd be a lot more tolerant of them, but the irresponsible dog owners have ruined it for the responsible ones. The selfishness and irresponsibility of some dog owners has moved me from "take 'em or leave 'em" to what is now an intense, passionate dislike for dogs.

I guess I have so much disdain for you or anybody that is such a hole that I don't care because no matter what you will think my dog is drooling yapping or whatever. You are simply not a happy person so sad for you......you just need to stay home so you never encounter something that annoys you.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:01 PM

14,318 posts, read 11,714,153 times
I see people carrying around small dogs in various places like malls and stores all the time. To be honest, it's not my style (I'm a cat and big dog person) but it certainly doesn't offend me. In fact, I can't recall ever hearing one of these small dogs yapping or seen it drooling. They seem to be very quiet and well behaved. In addition, I'm happy that the owner has a pet and happy that the dog is getting an outing instead of being left home alone. Frankly, the vehemence of the response against such dogs in public has me confounded.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:22 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,725,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I see people carrying around small dogs in various places like malls and stores all the time. To be honest, it's not my style (I'm a cat and big dog person) but it certainly doesn't offend me. In fact, I can't recall ever hearing one of these small dogs yapping or seen it drooling. They seem to be very quiet and well behaved. In addition, I'm happy that the owner has a pet and happy that the dog is getting an outing instead of being left home alone. Frankly, the vehemence of the response against such dogs in public has me confounded.

Seriously.....most of the time people don't even notice I'm carrying my little dog so how could she be yapping drooling etc. Now if I'm walking her and she encounters another dog well who knows This is why I carry her anywhere there could be an issue and she sits like a stuffed animal. I even get comments asking if they may pet her or why is she so well behaved why I laugh at because she is naughty, but, naughty at seven pounds is different than 100 pounds of naughty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets