Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 06:45 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,642,078 times

Advertisements

Actually was in a store the other day and there was a woman with a small cage and a ferret in it. Think it may have been a service ferret! As far as any dog being drug into an establishment that doesnt always work as have seen dogs that take issue when the alpha gene kicks in. A service dog would be the one attacked and injured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 06:27 AM

332 posts, read 504,892 times
The laws and customs concerning where dogs are allowed vary from country to country. From what I have read some European countries are very liberal about dogs in public transport, taverns, even restaurants. And it may be that in those countries it is the general custom that dog owners ensure that their pets are very well-trained.

In the last year of her life (which ended 7 days ago) my dog Molly could not be left alone or with anyone else. She was frantic unless I was with her. I am retired and was able to handle this even though it constrained my activities. I started experimenting with taking her into big box stores with me. I never had a problem. She even went into my doctor's office with me. And it was he and his staff who invited her after hearing that she was in the car waiting (with all the windows completely down - she was unable to jump out). Some people in the waiting area assumed that she was a service dog. I did not correct them, but I did joke to some people that I was a service human. She would go into the very small examining room with me and plant herself between me and the doc and he would just reach past her to do his thing.

My personal opinion is that our dogs should be with us as much as possible because they are pack animals and being alone is not natural for them. Of course this is difficult to manage if you work long hours and/or live alone. If one can afford it, it is probably best to keep more than one dog so that they can keep each other company when the people are away. I think there are many people who own dogs who shouldn't. Not because they are bad people, but because they are unable to give the dog as much attention as the dog needs. Just being there with them is a big part of 'attention'. Coming home from work, walking the dog, then leaving again for hours on end is not ideal. When I was still working I did not work overtime, but I still felt that my dogs were spending too much time alone (I live alone). I tried to make up for this by devoting most of my leisure time - after work and weekends - to hiking with them. I was able to do this when I had the two dogs, but this would not be a solution for most people.

My two cents: those European countries with the relaxed attitudes are on to something.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:58 AM

305 posts, read 724,346 times
Because some people consider their dogs as their friends and many dogs will not tolerate being left alone for hours.

The only issues with taking their dogs out wherever they go that idiots don't train their dogs properly and end up biting people or causing fights with another dog. Small dogs especially.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:48 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,638,175 times
How about service snakes?

[url=http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/15/us/restaurant-snake/index.html]Snake brought to restaurant rattles nerves - CNN.com[/url]

Old 08-15-2015, 05:21 PM

19,779 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
What does it do? Eat the rats in the kitchen?, lol.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:48 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
We have a sign on our store window: Service Animals ONLY, please.

Doesn't matter if it's a dog, cat, rat, monkey, as long as it's a service animal. How do you know it's a service animal? It's wearing a thing that indicates that it's a service animal. Special collar, harness, blanket, whatever. Is it to prove to the store owner that it's a service animal? No. It's to warn everyone ELSE that the animal is there because it's doing a job, and they need to not try to pet it.

Putting your chihuahua in the shopping basket with no leash at all is not "bringing a service animal into the store." It's bringing a pet into the store.

There are people who bring their dogs in on leashes too, with no special collar, no blanket, no bib or anything else indicating that it's a service dog. And then you discover for absolute sure that it's not a service dog, because its owner doesn't mind at all if you pet the dog, and the dog licks the face of the kid who goes to pet it.

When your animal is being allowed to be treated as a pet, and not a service animal, then it's a pet. If it's on duty, it's a service animal. Off-duty service animals are pets. Don't bring your pet into a store if the store has a sign that reads "Service animals only." The same animal is welcome into the store, as soon as you put his harness on and send him into "on-duty" mode.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:07 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
I take issue with people who abuse the service dog designation. I have no issue with people bringing their dogs to places where they are allowed. Why can't people just follow the rules?!?

Old 08-17-2015, 09:37 AM

279 posts, read 361,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
NC guy, your nehew was only partially informed correctly.
if its a service animals they MUST allow it acess, however he can ask questions...
2 very specific ones.
is that a service dog and what tasks is the dog TRAINED to perform to assist a person...
ie if I walk in with my Doberman "is that a service dog?" "why yes she is" "might I ask what kinds of tasks your dog does to help you?" "well shes primarily a medical alert and response dog, but shes also trained to assist with balance and a few other tasks"
Sorry for late response but just saw this. Not certain if you work for the stores as well, but he said it was made clear and the point highlighted that they were NOT to ask any follow-up questions once a person said it was a service animal.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:57 AM

You all would probably change your tunes if in the process of dragging your dogs (non service) someone showed up with a pit bull or two who you werent sure of and it made some sudden moves toward you or your dog would be the first ones to complain. Certain dogs are used as service dogs. Not all dogs qualify.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I take issue with people who abuse the service dog designation. I have no issue with people bringing their dogs to places where they are allowed. Why can't people just follow the rules?!?
People today arent inclined to follow rules.Just call it the narcissistic generation.(service dogs excluded) Its pathetic one cant go bye bye without the pooch. These are the same people who will feed their dogs human foods , and take them to dairy queen for their very own ice cream sundae then wonder why they end up diabetic and overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets