Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 02:44 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,369,703 times

Advertisements

There are people out there that make poor pet owners and should not have one for the pets protection.

There are worse people out there that run puppy farms and out right abuse animals, even ones they can get from shelters.

There are even inhumane people that collect every animal they can get to sell to animal testing labs, for fight clubs and worse.

Every shelter has the right and a moral obligation to screen people that receive animals and to refuse for any reason if they feel the individual is unfit or unable to take care of an animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 02:47 PM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
I was turned down for a cat adoption once because the lady who had the cat felt that cats should be outdoor cats, and I am a strict indoor cat person. She told me I was cruel and would never adopt a cat to me. Okie doke.

Her cat, her rules. I found my best pal a month later and he's been with me for 10 years. It all works out.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:51 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,369,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I was turned down for a cat adoption once because the lady who had the cat felt that cats should be outdoor cats, and I am a strict indoor cat person. She told me I was cruel and would never adopt a cat to me. Okie doke.

Her cat, her rules. I found my best pal a month later and he's been with me for 10 years. It all works out.
I have to agree that people don't always make the best choice and we don't always agree with decisions.

Glad you found a buddy

Old 01-16-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I have to agree that people don't always make the best choice and we don't always agree with decisions.

Glad you found a buddy
Funny thing about being called "cruel" is that my whole family calls me the Cat Whisperer because for whatever reason, the felines love me and I love them. I am the most indulgent, tolerant cat roommate ever. My wife tells me at least once a day that I love the cats more than her.

But that lady had a philosophy on cats that didn't agree with mine, so she said no to a voluntary association. Okie doke. She had her reasons, they were valid to her, and that's that.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:00 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,911,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Makes me wonder what the goal actually is.

Is the goal to place as many pets as possible into decent homes so that less critters are caged and/or killed?

Or is the goal for the shelter operators to stroke their sense of virtue by ensuring that no critter shall ever be placed in any home where anything might be less than optimal?

In many cases I think it's the latter. Any home by definition has humans living in it. So IMO as long as the utter trash of humanity are avoided, most homes are gonna be far better for the critter than being locked up at a shelter.

But many don't see it that way. Because pet-people are very often bat**** crazy.
How did you think most animals ended up in the shelter? Bad homes!! Both of my dogs are rescues and I was "interviewed" before being allowed to adopt them. I have NO problem with that. One of my dogs came to me so submissive that she would flinch if I raised my voice. It took lots of love and tender care on my part to rebuild the confidence that her prior "home" had destroyed. My other dog was so unaccustomed to being handled that he didn't really even know how to accept petting. Most shelter people are angels on this earth working hard to give these animals a good future. If they feel a sense of self-gratification for doing that, well, they should!

Old 01-16-2019, 03:05 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I believe they do to an extent, while it is getting more involved to adopt.

Just a few months ago my wife and I liked a small dog estimated the age of 6 we saw at a shelter. We wanted the dog and filled out the application.
Two days later we were notified that we were denied because we already a dog and they claimed their dog did not get along with other dogs. Knowing the dog was a stray and had just been brought in, I questioned exactly how they determined this?
Because they've been the ones caring for the dog everyday since it came into the shelter. If the dog was brought in as a stray, then it had been there at least a week. So yeah, I'm going to guess that the volunteers and staff who have interacted with the dog everyday have a better understanding of the dog's temperament than someone who saw the dog online and filled out an application.

Quote:
My wife was very disappointed. I am sure in time the two dogs would of gotten along just fine.
And how much time would you have given this dog to change? A week in your home? Two weeks? A month? I doubt you would have given it 8 years. The dog then ends up back in the shelter, and is now labeled as a returned dog.

Maybe it attacks your dog, so not only is it a returned dog, but it's returned due to aggression. Now the dog has even less of a chance of being adopted.

Maybe it attacks your dog, and while trying to break up the dog fight, you get bit. Now it's an aggressive dog that was returned and has a history of biting people. The dog's not getting adopted now, it's getting euthanized because they're bot able to adopt a dog with a history of bitting people.

The dog doesn't like other dogs, so no matter how cute your wife thought the dog was, it wasn't the right fit for your home. That is what a shelter's main goal is, to find the right home for their animals.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
One of my dogs came to me so submissive that she would flinch if I raised my voice. It took lots of love and tender care on my part to rebuild the confidence that her prior "home" had destroyed. My other dog was so unaccustomed to being handled that he didn't really even know how to accept petting. Most shelter people are angels on this earth working hard to give these animals a good future. If they feel a sense of self-gratification for doing that, well, they should!
The cat I had for 11 years from 98-09 was like that when I got him. He had been so badly mistreated that it took close to 2 years to get him to stop flinching when I went to pet his head or scratch his ears/chin. I got interviewed by 4 separate people prior to adopting him, and good for them. He was a cat only a serious cat lover could take on initially and they needed to know I was wired for it.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:16 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
How did you think most animals ended up in the shelter? Bad homes!! Both of my dogs are rescues and I was "interviewed" before being allowed to adopt them. I have NO problem with that. One of my dogs came to me so submissive that she would flinch if I raised my voice. It took lots of love and tender care on my part to rebuild the confidence that her prior "home" had destroyed. My other dog was so unaccustomed to being handled that he didn't really even know how to accept petting. Most shelter people are angels on this earth working hard to give these animals a good future. If they feel a sense of self-gratification for doing that, well, they should!
Keep them locked up in a shelter forever if that's what floats your boat. Let more puppy-mills crank out puppies and more critters in shelters get killed... rather than take a chance on some home that doesn't meet some lofty/arbitrary standards.

I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Just pointing out that this dynamic shows that for many pet-fanatics supposedly on a mission to save the beautiful critters... it's not necessarily about helping critters in an efficient and effective manner. In many cases it's just about *feeling virtuous*

Old 01-16-2019, 03:34 PM

486 posts, read 654,411 times
Sheltering Hands here in Ocala has a program to place senior cats with senior adults. They pay for the cat's medical bills and guarantee they will take it back if the person is no longer able to care for it, like if they go into a nursing home, or if the person dies. More rescues should have such a program as it's very difficult to find a home for an older cat.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:51 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:

Wow, that is very unusual. Everyone I have known who does rescue work strongly encourages keeping cats indoors, with the exception of TNR of ferals.

Quote:
The cat I had for 11 years from 98-09 was like that when I got him. He had been so badly mistreated that it took close to 2 years to get him to stop flinching when I went to pet his head or scratch his ears/chin. I got interviewed by 4 separate people prior to adopting him, and good for them. He was a cat only a serious cat lover could take on initially and they needed to know I was wired for it.
Bless you for taking on the challenge and giving that precious one a good home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets