Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 07:22 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times

Advertisements

It's not practical to expect shelters to follow up on stray dogs for life, at some point you have to let go and trust. There should be a balance, between being so overprotective you can't let go...and being negligent. I worked in rescue of animals from criminal impound situations, I was a foster home and a member of the board of directors. You see the best and the worst from people in those situations... keeping balance is a challenge even good people have to work at all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 07:25 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
But you know... anybody who loves critters so much that they work at a shelter or rescue is most likely bat****-crazy.
I know others have addressed this, but I wanted to chime in on it.

I am getting to a point in my life where I will travel more, be gone from home more often and for longer stretches, etc. Once my current two Feline American roommates depart for the Rainbow Bridge, I am most likely going to live in a feline free household for at least the foreseeable future. But I love cats and like socializing and interacting with them, the whole nine.

Volunteering at a shelter, then, is an ideal way for me to have the best of both worlds. I get feline interaction as often as I want, but I am not being unfair to a cat who will be alone in an empty house when I am away traveling. That doesn't make me bat**** crazy, it just means I like cats, I like interacting with them, and I can help out those who find themselves without a proper home.

So that has been my plan for the last 5-6 years. When my knuckleheads are gone, I'll go pitch in at the rescue. Nothing crazy about it. Just helping out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Bless you for taking on the challenge and giving that precious one a good home.
Funny thing about that cat...besides my wife and my sister, I have never loved anyone more. When he was put down at age almost-15, I was devastated. Even now, almost 10 years later, I choke up even typing stuff like this. I have so many stories from that goofball. Easily one of the best friends I've ever had. I'll never stop missing him.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:33 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
I don't know what its like in the cat adoption world.

From my experience with the dog rescue organizations, two breed rescues, their number one goal when placing a pet is to NEVER GET IT BACK. Now, we will take the dog back, 100% of the time no questions asked, in fact we write it into the adoption contract. But its not an optimal situation.

Because, you then have to try and adopt out a reject from someone else and it scares people off. I get them not wanting to adopt the cat out to an 80 year old, though I'd probably have done it.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:22 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times
As others pointed out, there is a big difference between shelters and rescues. The latter can be overly strict. Many adopters have no choice but to deal with their rules as in many areas they are removing all of the adoptable animals from the pounds and shelters.

One application I filled out had a question asking whether you are under 18 or over 60. It is obvious those apps will be pushed to the side. At the very least they will not consider a young pet to someone over 60. THAT is where they can get in trouble IMO with legal discrimination. Last time I checked the gov't seems to think I should be able to WORK full time until I am 72 until I can collect full SS. Pretty crazy that you can't get a puppy or kitten over 60.

Someone over 60 is at least retired and has time for a pet. Another hurdle is rescues who don't want to adopt to people that have full time jobs. It's a no win situation; some rescues appear to only be happy with a stay at home veterinarian under 50 as an adopter. LOL Seriously, I have read on other boards that even vets have been turned down by rescue.

Bottom line is this IMO; Yes, 78 is getting up there but turning her down was not worth the bad publicity. Her granddaughter who got the kitten for her anyway will most likely take it if something would happen to her. Everyone should have a back up plan for their pets so age doesn't matter. Anyone of any age could die tomorrow. The ability to grasp this is a problem for them and why rescues get criticism. It's one of the many reasons I quit volunteering. There are too many people in that field that are frankly hostile and unreasonable with people. Some, of course not all. Enough though that it makes it really hard for rational people to be heard.

Rescues really have a PR problem right now in many ways. They would never have gotten on the news if they handled this differently. Of course, you need at least some people skills to understand a concept like PR and it's importance.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:56 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I don't know what its like in the cat adoption world.

From my experience with the dog rescue organizations, two breed rescues, their number one goal when placing a pet is to NEVER GET IT BACK. Now, we will take the dog back, 100% of the time no questions asked, in fact we write it into the adoption contract. But its not an optimal situation.

Because, you then have to try and adopt out a reject from someone else and it scares people off. I get them not wanting to adopt the cat out to an 80 year old, though I'd probably have done it.
The cat overpopulation problem is so bad in my area that entire litters of kittens can be put down during kitten season. That's one of the reasons why this story shocks me. Our shelter even reduced cats and kittens this year to $20 (inc. shots & S/N) during that time just to move them. If they were adopted as barn cats at least they had a shot at life and can't reproduce.

Even in this environment where supply clearly outweighs demand I have heard (I swear this is true) people in cat rescue say to me it is better to have the kittens put down rather than go to a home where people will declaw them. DEAD, really? I don't declaw myself but that is getting into "nutter" territory. Some of the vet techs in my vet's office have their own front declawed.

The ACO's I talked to agree with me. They have met this type too and said it's easy for some rescues to be so cavalier with these statements as they are not the ones sticking a needle in these kittens.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:26 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,880,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
How did you think most animals ended up in the shelter? Bad homes!! Both of my dogs are rescues and I was "interviewed" before being allowed to adopt them. I have NO problem with that. One of my dogs came to me so submissive that she would flinch if I raised my voice. It took lots of love and tender care on my part to rebuild the confidence that her prior "home" had destroyed. My other dog was so unaccustomed to being handled that he didn't really even know how to accept petting. Most shelter people are angels on this earth working hard to give these animals a good future. If they feel a sense of self-gratification for doing that, well, they should!
Yep.

I've been in dog rescue since the 80s.

Dogs are in rescue/shelters (NOT the same thing btw) BECAUSE they had owners who GAVE THEM UP/they were seized.

Anyone responsible for getting these animals a new home will have it on their conscience if they place the animal with someone who may "love" it BUT cannot provide what that particular animal needs.

Love is NOT enough.

Some dogs need waayyyy more savvy owners than average (traumatized ones, sep anx ones, reactive ones)

Some dogs need waayyy more exercise than an average persone can provide (Border Collies, Aus Sheps, Huskies)

Some dogs are very long lived (Chihuahuas, Bostons, Poms) and need an owner who isn't 70 years old so the dog doesn't outlive the owner

Placing a dog with a new owner should be about "can this person provide what THIS dog needs"?

Folks who feel rejected when they are told a dog is not a good fit are selfish fools who do not have the dog's best interest at heart; they often then run to a breeder to buy, which tells you it was more about the acquisition than about giving a dog in need a happy life.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:32 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,600 times
I work in a shelter. I proudly wear the "bat$%^& crazy" label if it's people like the poster who are claiming it. I've been called worse! lol

As has been mentioned more than once, but bears repeating - shelters are not rescues and vice/versa.

There is a movement in the shelter world towards "open adoptions". Studies have shown that the outcomes don't vary that much when there is more education and fewer rules. On a daily basis I talk to clients and steer them towards or away certain animals based on their situation. People respond very well to that. Though some don't listen and are determined to take the animal anyway, and those often come back. They also often blame us, of course - "you didn't tell me the animal did that!" Uh, yes, we did - it's in the adoption notes in the computer. Yes, we keep notes. lol

Old 01-17-2019, 09:50 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
As others pointed out, there is a big difference between shelters and rescues. The latter can be overly strict. Many adopters have no choice but to deal with their rules as in many areas they are removing all of the adoptable animals from the pounds and shelters.

One application I filled out had a question asking whether you are under 18 or over 60. It is obvious those apps will be pushed to the side. At the very least they will not consider a young pet to someone over 60. THAT is where they can get in trouble IMO with legal discrimination. Last time I checked the gov't seems to think I should be able to WORK full time until I am 72 until I can collect full SS. Pretty crazy that you can't get a puppy or kitten over 60.

Someone over 60 is at least retired and has time for a pet. Another hurdle is rescues who don't want to adopt to people that have full time jobs. It's a no win situation; some rescues appear to only be happy with a stay at home veterinarian under 50 as an adopter. LOL Seriously, I have read on other boards that even vets have been turned down by rescue.

Bottom line is this IMO; Yes, 78 is getting up there but turning her down was not worth the bad publicity. Her granddaughter who got the kitten for her anyway will most likely take it if something would happen to her. Everyone should have a back up plan for their pets so age doesn't matter. Anyone of any age could die tomorrow. The ability to grasp this is a problem for them and why rescues get criticism. It's one of the many reasons I quit volunteering. There are too many people in that field that are frankly hostile and unreasonable with people. Some, of course not all. Enough though that it makes it really hard for rational people to be heard.

Rescues really have a PR problem right now in many ways. They would never have gotten on the news if they handled this differently. Of course, you need at least some people skills to understand a concept like PR and it's importance.
It's not necessarily true that those apps will be pushed to the side and that's the reason for that question. The reason, IMO, is that teens and children, as well as older people, need an animal that gets along with them well, since those age groups have special needs for dogs, whether they realize it or not. For example, a testy chihuahua is not a good choice for a family with children and teens coming and going and lots of activity and playing w/the dog. That dog is easily injured and has a nature such that such an environment would not be a good match, generally speaking. Better to go with, say, a lab or retriever, who can hold up to some tail pulling, being accidentally stepped on, lots of young people talking loud and bouncing basketballs and coming and going. A young border collie would probably not be a good match for an older person, if that person is responsible for the dog a great deal of the time, or spends a lot of time w/it. Young border collies need a great deal of exercise, and are rough when playing. An older person could easily get hurt, or if the one who spends most time w/the dog, may not be up to providing the exercise the dog needs. Also, a person who is 65 when adopting a dog may be 75 or older eventually, during the dog's lifetime, so the right dog needs to be matched to be with an older person who might get seriously injured just from a fall. That's why those questions are asked. They don't want the dogs given away later because things arise that the owners hadn't thought of before.

As a person over 60, when I get my next rescue dog, I plan to look for an older dog or one that doesn't NEED a lot of exercise or play activity. I will be getting old while owning the dog, and while I walk every day and can provide exercise, and will play with the dog (more so than most adults), a dog that is too rough or too playful or needs too much exercise will probably not be a good match for me in the long run. Plus, there are many older dogs that no one wants. So I am perfect to adopt one of those. But most people don't think ahead like that, or have a lifetime of experience w/dogs to know these basic things.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:54 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,468 times
I would love to see a national "Do Not Adopt" database for animal abusers/hoarders/neglectors (sp?).
Don't want to hijack thread. Carry on!

Old 01-17-2019, 10:30 AM

480 posts, read 316,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
I work in a shelter. I proudly wear the "bat$%^& crazy" label if it's people like the poster who are claiming it. I've been called worse! lol

As has been mentioned more than once, but bears repeating - shelters are not rescues and vice/versa.

There is a movement in the shelter world towards "open adoptions". Studies have shown that the outcomes don't vary that much when there is more education and fewer rules. On a daily basis I talk to clients and steer them towards or away certain animals based on their situation. People respond very well to that. Though some don't listen and are determined to take the animal anyway, and those often come back. They also often blame us, of course - "you didn't tell me the animal did that!" Uh, yes, we did - it's in the adoption notes in the computer. Yes, we keep notes. lol

Thats interesting.

I do believe there needs to be a balanced perspective when adopting out animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets