Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 05:12 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,229,101 times

Advertisements

I have also read this, but not about the different types of food. Been waiting for this hatchet to fall. How many people are changing not only dog food, but what you eat?
Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 06:39 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,715,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
I have also read this, but not about the different types of food. Been waiting for this hatchet to fall. How many people are changing not only dog food, but what you eat?
Sandy
It just so happens I haven't eaten any pork for months. Just didn't care to have any, not for any other reasons. Now, I'm glad I didn't. "They" can say that the contamination hasn't gotten into our foods, but I tend to be suspicious of anything "they" say. As someone else has said, the FDA hasn't been doing a good enough job to make me feel safe and reassured that our food supply is secure and protected.

For similar reasons, I don't eat "farm raised" seafood. Much of it comes from conditions that I don't know anything about in the far east and/or Mexico.
Meats - I look for grain fed; eggs and chicken I look for "vegetarian fed". No antibiotics or hormones in anything!! Much of our chicken is fed animal byproducts, as is our seafood. I read that farm raised salmon, for example, is fed a dye to give it a redder color.

Sorry. Off topic (but not really)

Last edited by swbtoo; 04-26-2007 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 04-26-2007, 07:52 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,172,013 times
My husband eats pork ALL the time. He loves it. I eat it MAYBE every couple of weeks or so. Actually, I made pork-chops last night. I don't want to think about everything that is going on lately - first with the pet food, now with our own food, and which some of us actually started our pets on too.

Sometimes it feels like the world is just falling apart, everywhere you turn.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,056,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
It just so happens I haven't eaten any pork for months. Just didn't care to have any, not for any other reasons. Now, I'm glad I didn't. "They" can say that the contamination hasn't gotten into our foods, but I tend to be suspicious of anything "they" say. As someone else has said, the FDA hasn't been doing a good enough job to make me feel safe and reassured that our food supply is secure and protected.

For similar reasons, I don't eat "farm raised" seafood. Much of it comes from conditions that I don't know anything about in the far east and/or Mexico.
Meats - I look for grain fed; eggs and chicken I look for "vegetarian fed". No antibiotics or hormones in anything!! Much of our chicken is fed animal byproducts, as is our seafood. I read that farm raised salmon, for example, is fed a dye to give it a redder color.
I don't think this is really off topic; I think it's important.
I've always tried to feed our pets healthy stuff (we like Canidae) because it just makes sense that if you don't want to put crud in your body, why put it into your pet's?

Of course, it certainly is scary when it becomes apparent that all is not as it should be.

I agree about the Asian farm raised seafood, although before we moved to the coast I did eat farm-raised salmon from Clare Island (Wild Oats' brand.) Farm-raised salmon are given carotene (from carrots), and too much beta-carotene might not be good, but there is no conclusive information about this.
I try to buy as much organic/veggie as I can, though my husband could not care less.
I rarely eat pork anyway, but when I read about the hog farms in North Carolina, I couldn't imagine ever buying it again.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:13 PM

Yes, I just heard today on the radio news that a hog farm in western NC that recently received a shipment of the contaminated feed has been quarantined. They say none of the pork has reached market. I just wonder whether there might have been some unsuspecting farmers feeding the stuff to their hogs before the entire pet food story broke.

I'm sure the FDA is looking to see if this contamination might be in other feeds, affecting our beef supply too. It seems they did a pretty good job protecting the pubic from mad cow disease in the US. Hopefully they'll do as well in this case.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:00 PM

Heard on the news yesterday that contaminated feed has been fed to chickens and that some of them may have reached food stores. Supposedly, the risk to humans is low, if any. I'm glad I've been buying mostly organic chicken for some time now, but I don't really know what they're fed, except that they don't get hormones, animal products or antibiotics. Melamine doesn't fall into any of those three categories.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:26 PM

I guess it falls into if the farmer gives his chickens organic feed. I would hope that means "no food from China", but am not sure with that either. It is like a never ending terror story, the more you research the more frightened you become.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:23 PM

I'm reading all my food labels now...could this stuff be in our snack foods, breakfast bars, baby foods? There's hardly any food left that is just pure food.
Below is report from the Pet Connection. Well worth reading.
================================================== ======
> http://www.petconnection.com/blog/20...mbers-at-last/

In an import alert buried deep on its website and just uncovered tonight,
the FDA last Friday expanded its hold on imported foods from China -
ingredients including Wheat Gluten, Rice Gluten, Rice Protein, Rice
Protein Concentrate, Corn Gluten, Corn Gluten Meal, Corn By-Products,
Soy Protein, Soy Gluten, Mung Bean Protein, SoyBean Meal / Powder/
Gluten/ Protein, Isolate, Soy Protein Powder, Wheat Gluten, Wheat Flour Gluten,
Wheat Gluten, Rice Protein, Rice Gluten, Rice Protein, Corn Gluten,
Milled Rice Products, Amino acids and protein hydrosylates.

They also, for the first time, published estimates of pet deaths closer to
what other authoritative sources have been speculating for weeks now:

As of April 26, 2007, FDA had received over 17,000 consumer complaints
relating to this outbreak, and those complaints included reports of
approximately 1950 deaths of cats and 2200 deaths of dogs.
These numbers are very much in line with what we've seen in our own
database of self-reported cases at PetConnection
(http://www.petconnection.com/): (broken link)

* Total reports of illness or death: 14,228
* Total cats reported dead: 2,334 cats
* Total dogs reported dead: 2,249

From the FDA report:

* Total reports of illness or death: 17,000
* Total cats reported dead: 1950
* Total dogs reported dead: 2,200>

> http://www.fda.gov/ora/fiars/ora_import_ia9929.html (broken link)

Last edited by swbtoo; 05-02-2007 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 05-03-2007, 05:13 AM

I had not read that extensive of a list, and it is eye opening. If one reads their food labels I bet most of our processed food contains at least one of those items, and most of our everyday food (ie bread, crackers, soy milk, cereal) contain more than one. But yet the FDA is saying the risk to humans is small, hummmmmmmm.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:02 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,684,674 times
Over 200 more foods recalled today (May 3rd).
New Dog Recalls:
http://www.nationalpetfoundation.com/foods/0307dog.html

New Cat Food Recalls:
http://www.nationalpetfoundation.com/foods/0307cat.html

Am cooking homemade for our critter now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets