Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:54 AM

698 posts, read 3,266,477 times

Advertisements

I know there's been threads on here about many aspects of this topic,but I have been doing a lot of thinking about this lately since we have a furbaby with terminal cancer and may be faced with it. We've already spoken to a vet (not hers because she doesn't go to the home)) about coming into our home and doing it if it becomes necessary because she hates going to the vet so much and we don't want her to die in that setting. What I've been thinking about is.......why do we have to let a stranger come in here and do it? If we could bring ourselves to do it,why not do it ourselves by giving her tylenol or something? Is this totally out of the question and wrong?

Old 07-16-2009, 09:27 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
I don't think it is wrong at all. Whatever it would be you use, in my opinion, would have to be swift and painless. That would not be a Tylenol.
My problem would be.....I couldn't do it! Especially to my own animal. Sounds like a plan until it comes right down to the minute. I lost my 13 yr. old Golden a few months back and the morning of, she was in dire pain. First thing my DH said...please, please, please, don't ask me to shoot her. Neither one of us would never have had the nerve.
Years ago, I worked as a vet tech...each and every animal that came in to be put down, put me in tears. I knew I was helping to put the animal at rest and out of pain...but...I still bawled like a baby after every one.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:33 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
I understand your pain; what I don't understand is why your vet will not come to your home. I would ask for your vet to do this for you. I could not actually euthanize my pets, but I would want to be there so that in the last moments my pets knew that I loved them and was there until the end.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I don't think it is wrong at all. Whatever it would be you use, in my opinion, would have to be swift and painless. That would not be a Tylenol.
My problem would be.....I couldn't do it! Especially to my own animal. Sounds like a plan until it comes right down to the minute. I lost my 13 yr. old Golden a few months back and the morning of, she was in dire pain. First thing my DH said...please, please, please, don't ask me to shoot her. Neither one of us would never have had the nerve.
Years ago, I worked as a vet tech...each and every animal that came in to be put down, put me in tears. I knew I was helping to put the animal at rest and out of pain...but...I still bawled like a baby after every one.
In your opinion,what would be swift and painless besides a gun? We don't own a gun,but we wouldn't be able to do that either. It would have to be something quiet and quick. We're hoping and praying she dies on her own and we want have to deal with this,but we have to be ready in case we do have to make this decision.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I understand your pain; what I don't understand is why your vet will not come to your home. I would ask for your vet to do this for you. I could not actually euthanize my pets, but I would want to be there so that in the last moments my pets knew that I loved them and was there until the end.
I have already ask her vet about it and she doesn't make house calls. I guess it's a busy schedule thing and our timing not being the same,etc. Yes,we want to be there for ours as well until the end whenever and however it happens. We would much prefer she go on her own naturally and are hoping and praying she does,but we have to be prepared if she doesn't. Having someone else come here to our home would be better than taking her to her vet's office. We feel like being in her own home environment would be a lot better for her.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:36 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
The vet would over-dose her...which she would just basically go to sleep.

We use to use pentobarbital...which is not sold to the public and would be illegal for you to purchase.

Last edited by ShelbyGirl1; 07-16-2009 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: added text

Old 07-16-2009, 11:54 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times
I wouldn't do this for a couple of reasons...first of all, what would you do if something went terribly awry and your animal was in a great deal of pain and you couldn't help him/her?

My dog also hated going to the vet. In the end, though, she was so withdrawn and protective, I think it would have stressed her out even more to have a stranger come to my house. I also think she would've tried to guard us, which is a terribly unfair situation to put a dying animal in.

Talk to your vet and see how exactly how they do it. I took my dog in before they opened and they had a nice, quiet room set up for us. Her bed and toys were there and I think that comforted her. She was scared and they immediately injected her with something (I can't remember what it was) so that she was very relaxed, happy, and pain free. It was the best of a terribly tragic situation. Even then, she waited until the vet actually left the room to die---we had to smile through the tears because even in the end she let the vet know how she felt about her I miss her terribly, but am very happy that we were fortunate enough to be with her and end the suffering.

My thoughts are with you during this very difficult time.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:58 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,087 times
I just went through this 4 weeks ago with our 14 year old cat. I could not have given him that shot myself. However, I think people should be given that option. Our vet does not make house calls for euthanasia or any thing else. I wish more vets would offer house calls for euthanasia. It would have made it easier on my cat and me. I hated having to take him away from his home to that cold, sterile environment. He didn't need that stress of being put in his carrier and taken there. I try to remember all the good things about my baby but I can't get the image of him on the table and the vet tech holding him by the scruff of the neck. I almost punched the tech because she wouldn't let go even after the injection. It's not like he was going anywhere. I kept trying to pull her hand off him, finally the vet told her to let go.

I understand what you are going through and pet owners should be given options to deal with this.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I wouldn't do this for a couple of reasons...first of all, what would you do if something went terribly awry and your animal was in a great deal of pain and you couldn't help him/her?

My dog also hated going to the vet. In the end, though, she was so withdrawn and protective, I think it would have stressed her out even more to have a stranger come to my house. I also think she would've tried to guard us, which is a terribly unfair situation to put a dying animal in.

Talk to your vet and see how exactly how they do it. I took my dog in before they opened and they had a nice, quiet room set up for us. Her bed and toys were there and I think that comforted her. She was scared and they immediately injected her with something (I can't remember what it was) so that she was very relaxed, happy, and pain free. It was the best of a terribly tragic situation. Even then, she waited until the vet actually left the room to die---we had to smile through the tears because even in the end she let the vet know how she felt about her I miss her terribly, but am very happy that we were fortunate enough to be with her and end the suffering.

My thoughts are with you during this very difficult time.
Trying to guard us would not be problem a because she's an eighteen year old cat. It would stress her out much more going to the vets office. A stranger would be the less of two evils,but if we had a way to do it and could bring ourselves to do it,that would be the best option for her.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
I just went through this 4 weeks ago with our 14 year old cat. I could not have given him that shot myself. However, I think people should be given that option. Our vet does not make house calls for euthanasia or any thing else. I wish more vets would offer house calls for euthanasia. It would have made it easier on my cat and me. I hated having to take him away from his home to that cold, sterile environment. He didn't need that stress of being put in his carrier and taken there. I try to remember all the good things about my baby but I can't get the image of him on the table and the vet tech holding him by the scruff of the neck. I almost punched the tech because she wouldn't let go even after the injection. It's not like he was going anywhere. I kept trying to pull her hand off him, finally the vet told her to let go.

I understand what you are going through and pet owners should be given options to deal with this.
I totally agree. If I had the proper dosage,I think I could do it because I gave our sheltie insulin shots twice a day for years before he died. I think that would be a lot easier on her and us as well compared to our other options. Thank you soooo much for understanding. I'm so sorry for the bad experience you just had and want to avoid something like that if at all possible and I do believe there is a better way. Ours is a cat too and she is eighteen years old.

Last edited by Florida15; 07-16-2009 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: Forgot to say she was a cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets