Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 07:38 AM

289 posts, read 338,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I forget where I read it, but Providence is one of the few cities where the Hispanic population is predominantly Dominican (I don't know the exact percentages, but you can look it up).

In any case, Philly's Hispanic population is 12.3%. It breaks down as follows:
8% Puerto Rican
1% Mexican
0.3% Cuban
3% Other

2010 Census for PHILADELPHIA, PA - ZIP Code Database, ZIP Code Maps

So there isn't really any large DR population in Philly. I'm sure if you go to census.gov and go to one of those summary files or whatever, you'll find the exact number. But basically, they're pretty much integrated with the Puerto Ricans.
There may be more than we know ... Last year I saw the Dominican Parade on Lehigh near Kensington. It wasn't very large and obviously didn't garner citywide attention, but they were out there, in cars, and on motorcycles with Dominican flags. I have no idea how many years they've been doing this ...
Quite a few Puerto Rican people have told me they don't much care for Dominicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 07:40 AM

289 posts, read 338,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Not knowing anything about Providence, I assume it's for the same reason?
What reason is that?

Old 05-02-2013, 10:32 AM

6 posts, read 21,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I forget where I read it, but Providence is one of the few cities where the Hispanic population is predominantly Dominican (I don't know the exact percentages, but you can look it up).

In any case, Philly's Hispanic population is 12.3%. It breaks down as follows:
8% Puerto Rican
1% Mexican
0.3% Cuban
3% Other

2010 Census for PHILADELPHIA, PA - ZIP Code Database, ZIP Code Maps

So there isn't really any large DR population in Philly. I'm sure if you go to census.gov and go to one of those summary files or whatever, you'll find the exact number. But basically, they're pretty much integrated with the Puerto Ricans.
Theres more Dominicans then Mexicans in Philly, look it up.. Its just that Mexicans share neighborhoods with Italians and Asians in South Philly, therefore they are the only visible Hispanic group in their community, and thus more visible overall.. While Dominicans share neighborhoods with Puerto Ricans, and thus often overshadowed by the much larger Puerto Rican population.. Theres slightly more Dominicans then Mexicans, probably about 1,000 more, but Dominican population is growing at a much faster rate, so that gap may widen.. theres even a small Dominican parade in Philly, not as popular as the PR parade tho
Philly's Hispanic population looks more like this.. go to the Census website and look it up
8% Puerto Rican
1% Dominican
1% Mexican
2.3% All Other Hispanics

Old 05-02-2013, 02:36 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPhillyKid View Post
Theres more Dominicans then Mexicans in Philly, look it up.. Its just that Mexicans share neighborhoods with Italians and Asians in South Philly, therefore they are the only visible Hispanic group in their community, and thus more visible overall.. While Dominicans share neighborhoods with Puerto Ricans, and thus often overshadowed by the much larger Puerto Rican population.. Theres slightly more Dominicans then Mexicans, probably about 1,000 more, but Dominican population is growing at a much faster rate, so that gap may widen.. theres even a small Dominican parade in Philly, not as popular as the PR parade tho
Philly's Hispanic population looks more like this.. go to the Census website and look it up
8% Puerto Rican
1% Dominican
1% Mexican
2.3% All Other Hispanics
This makes sense. Nearly every cornerstore in Germantown seems to be managed/owned by Dominicans fwiw.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:11 PM

58 posts, read 190,206 times
New York and Miami are literally the ONLY MAJOR cities where Puerto Ricans and Dominicans live in different neighborhoods. With DRs mainly having Washington Heights, West Bronx, Cypress Hills, and Corona. And PRs mainly having East Harlem, South Bronx, Bushwick, Williamsburg, and East New York. In Boston and Philadelphia, two cities with large PR and DR populations they share neighborhoods. In Boston, the PR and DR population is nearly equal in size, they share neighborhoods like Roxbory, Jamaica Plain, and Mattaplan with African Americans and West Indians. In Philly, Dominicans share Eastern North Philly and parts of the Northeast with the larger Puerto Rican population. In other cities where there is a large PR population, but very little DR population, 9 times out of 10 the little Dominicans in that city live in a PR neighborhood, Humboldt Park Chicago, Southside of Cleveland, Westside of Buffalo, West Tampa. Or in cities with little populations of both, they often live together in diverse neighborhoods.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:08 AM

251 posts, read 637,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllStarSun View Post
New York and Miami are literally the ONLY MAJOR cities where Puerto Ricans and Dominicans live in different neighborhoods. With DRs mainly having Washington Heights, West Bronx, Cypress Hills, and Corona. And PRs mainly having East Harlem, South Bronx, Bushwick, Williamsburg, and East New York. In Boston and Philadelphia, two cities with large PR and DR populations they share neighborhoods. In Boston, the PR and DR population is nearly equal in size, they share neighborhoods like Roxbory, Jamaica Plain, and Mattaplan with African Americans and West Indians. In Philly, Dominicans share Eastern North Philly and parts of the Northeast with the larger Puerto Rican population. In other cities where there is a large PR population, but very little DR population, 9 times out of 10 the little Dominicans in that city live in a PR neighborhood, Humboldt Park Chicago, Southside of Cleveland, Westside of Buffalo, West Tampa. Or in cities with little populations of both, they often live together in diverse neighborhoods.

You forgot Orlando FL.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,610 times
Maybe Dominicans are replacing PRs, similar to what theyre doing in NY.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:04 PM

15 posts, read 59,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpreadOfTruth View Post
Maybe Dominicans are replacing PRs, similar to what theyre doing in NY.
No, different situation entirely. Even though New York has the largest Puerto Rican population. It is no longer a major Puerto Rican destination, Philadelphia still is, even moreso then before. While, with Dominicans, NY is still a major destination, tho not as much as it used to be. Many Dominicans are also starting to move to Philly, but it hasnt fully emerged as major destination for them, tho its starting to.
In Philly, Dominicans are often moving into neighborhoods where PuertoRicans are still moving to in large numbers, often kinda assimilating and "uniting" with them. While in NY, Dominicans often move to neighborhoods where Puerto Ricans are leaving, often replacing them.

Yes, I did some research and now i could answer my own question. But you guys can still discuss the topic.

Last edited by NYJeezy; 01-05-2014 at 06:07 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 05:26 PM

25 posts, read 34,668 times
Do Baltimore and/or DC have any Puerto Rican OR Dominican sections at all? What about Houston Texas? Or New Orleans?

Old 01-05-2014, 05:53 PM

15 posts, read 59,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankofthehill View Post
Do Baltimore and/or DC have any Puerto Rican OR Dominican sections at all? What about Houston Texas? Or New Orleans?
Baltimore and DC got small Puerto Rican/Dominican populations, that are noticeable but not large enough to form there own neighborhoods like in Philly and NY. I know in DC, the central american groups are the heavier hispanic presence. And the southeast section of Baltimore, is very diverse, with significant populations of several different hispanic groups, including Puerto Ricans and Dominicans.
I dont know too much of the other 2, but im sure Houston has some PRs, but theyre are probably overshadowed by the far larger mexican population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia