Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 10:25 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
If its the parcel I am thinking, from looking at Google maps, you can fit a substantial size building there. Something like the Granary for example, (it is smaller than 205 Race) but I still think that would be a much better fit then mansions. Everything north of Spring Garden and the Parkway is mostly single family residential, there aren't many opportunities left to build multi-family/ something unique that will have a bigger impact on the area. It seems like everywhere you look in prime locations there are over sized rowhomes going up instead of multi-family....the homes along the Parkway, throughout Old City, most notably the garage homes on Arch Street, the homes on 23/Walnut St, the homes on Race St, the Please Touch Museum replacements... Real estate that IMO is too prime for that kind of construction.
No, honestly, it's not big enough for a building the size of the Granary. I live 5 minutes away from there. I pass that parcel of land all the time.

Nope, not everything north of Spring Garden consists of single family homes especially just north on Green St from 15th to 19th. Many of those houses have been broken up into apts. Been that way for years. Will that change? Dunno.

Hmmm did you choose to ignore the multiple ulti-units projects under construction, or in the planning stages that I listed that are all a few minutes away from 17th and Wood? And I forgot two: the expansion of Museum Towers pretty much doubling its
footprint. That one is two-fer: high rise multi-unit building with new town houses on 19th. and the Divine Lorraine.

Well, I do not agree with you this time.

Now if something like 205 Race gets built in the zone where someone is buying up old properties east of Broad along 3rd, 4th adjacent to Spring Garden and Callowhill(from another philly.curbed article) I would agree with that 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 03:25 PM

377 posts, read 474,923 times
http://philly.curbed.com/2017/2/22/1...y-study-halted

I don't know much about Temple/that area. What are the reasons people are opposed to a stadium? Is it just local residents being concerned about traffic, etc. or more to it?

Old 02-23-2017, 06:35 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,344,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
http://philly.curbed.com/2017/2/22/1...y-study-halted

I don't know much about Temple/that area. What are the reasons people are opposed to a stadium? Is it just local residents being concerned about traffic, etc. or more to it?
I think a big reason is the transition of the neighborhood into something better, essentially anti-gentrification movements if you wanna call it that. From my understanding its a small group of neighbors who are opposed to it. I am not opposed to the stadium, I however do not find it overly necessary.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:20 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,080,000 times
Quote:
I think a big reason is the transition of the neighborhood into something better, essentially anti-gentrification movements if you wanna call it that. From my understanding its a small group of neighbors who are opposed to it. I am not opposed to the stadium, I however do not find it overly necessary.
Not just that, or even principally that.

The opposition is also based on residents objecting to what they see as Temple's further institutional encroachment on the Cecil B. Moore neighborhood (I'm not sure it extends as far north as the stadium site, but it might).

Sports stadia generally aren't catalysts for gentrification, as not even well-off residents want to live next door to one. (Maybe if baseball parks were built the way they used to be, that might be different, for residents of homes abutting the outfields of parks like Shibe Park/Connie Mack Stadium or Wrigley Field could enjoy (and sell others access to) views of the action from their rooftops.)

Old 02-23-2017, 07:59 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,509 times
Quote:
And what happens when Temple eventually returns to a mediocrity in college football? They've had a few good years after decades of being bottom of the barrel. Also, plopping a giant stadium right in the middle of a dense neighborhood is just silly. Could you imagine if they had actually built Citizen's Bank Park in the middle of Chinatown like they wanted to?

Temple can't be a big time football program because a.) they are in a city, b.) a few good years with a whole lot of bad ones doesn't change things, and c.) people aren't passionate about high school/college football they way they are in the South and Midwest.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:46 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,877,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
And what happens when Temple eventually returns to a mediocrity in college football? They've had a few good years after decades of being bottom of the barrel. Also, plopping a giant stadium right in the middle of a dense neighborhood is just silly. Could you imagine if they had actually built Citizen's Bank Park in the middle of Chinatown like they wanted to?

Temple can't be a big time football program because a.) they are in a city, b.) a few good years with a whole lot of bad ones doesn't change things, and c.) people aren't passionate about high school/college football they way they are in the South and Midwest.
I'm with you for the most part, but my concern comes less from an urban planning/city perspective and more from a student perspective. The cost passed onto students is appalling. These universities care more about acting like corporations than producing smart/thoughtful workers in feasible job markets at a reasonable cost. Terrible.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:14 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,344,945 times
Speaking of Temple, this is a big enough project to post a link on.

Major Student Housing Project Coming to 11th & Cecil B Moore | Naked Philly

Old 02-23-2017, 10:32 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,521,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I'm with you for the most part, but my concern comes less from an urban planning/city perspective and more from a student perspective. The cost passed onto students is appalling. These universities care more about acting like corporations than producing smart/thoughtful workers in feasible job markets at a reasonable cost. Terrible.
Why do people say stuff like this when they didn't even take the time to research that Temple has the money for the entire stadium through private donations and an unused recreational building grant from the State.

It's ironic that Temple already built a building on the end of the block that faces the only actual neighbors. Does the new gym hurt students and the neighbors too?

Do people feel the same way about Franklin Field?

Old 02-23-2017, 10:37 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,521,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post

Temple is doing the opposite of Rutgers massive mistake. The Temple stadium would be reasonably sized for a middle tiered team (yes the Linc is way to big except for playing special games) and built on campus land directly adjecent to main campus.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:20 AM

377 posts, read 474,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Temple is doing the opposite of Rutgers massive mistake. The Temple stadium would be reasonably sized for a middle tiered team (yes the Linc is way to big except for playing special games) and built on campus land directly adjecent to main campus.
Totally with you, except for the Rutgers comment. They never would have gotten in the Big Ten with the stadium they had prior to the mid-90's and while the expansion was maybe a bit premature you need to strike when times are good with these things (like Temple is trying to do). Anyway, back to Philly...

Not saying Temple will become a football power - they certainly never will be without further conference realignment that benefits them - but being in a city does not automatically prevent them from elevating the program.

It's true the Northeast is not a hotbed for college football enthusiasm, but they aren't proposing to build a massive stadium. Seems perfectly reasonable, especially if the funding is there.

City stadiums are the best - it would be great if the Union stadium was somewhere within the city limits instead of in Chester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia