Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:16 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,432,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Not trying to sound arrogant but I'm just telling the truth. No need to be so negative.
Hey same here,truth is sometimes negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 10:34 AM

"Dude,bro I was at a party last noite and I was so drunk...then he said,then she said..."

"It was awlsome"

Old 08-04-2013, 11:44 AM

9,350 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
"Dude,bro I was at a party last noite and I was so drunk...then he said,then she said..."

"It was awlsome"
Never heard a soul say "noite."

Old 08-04-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Never heard a soul say "noite."
You need to get out more then,it's Philly Irish.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
You need to get out more then,it's Philly Irish.
I've known no shortage of Philadelphians of Irish descent, including multi-generationals from the City. I just don't tend to hang around the Kensington types, if that's to whom you're referring.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:18 PM

177 posts, read 357,439 times
People from the suburbs don't really have Philly accents. The genuinely urban areas outside of Philadelphia either have their own unique accent or are influenced by whatever part of Philadelphia the majority of people in that neighborhood came from. Where I grew up has a connection to South and Southwest Philly so that's what my accent is.

The further out you go from the city and urban areas, the more of a caricature people's "accents" become. You can always tell when somebody is forcing it or not just speaking naturally. You can tell who actually grew up learning to talk that way and who's doing it to sound "Philly". Like Montgomery County, Bucks County, and South Jersey. None of them have Philly accents unless they or the majority of people in their neighborhood are first generation non-Philadelphians. You can tell because they have to intentionally do things when talking that people who actually grew up talking that way just do naturally.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1oozne View Post
People from the suburbs don't really have Philly accents. The genuinely urban areas outside of Philadelphia either have their own unique accent or are influenced by whatever part of Philadelphia the majority of people in that neighborhood came from. Where I grew up has a connection to South and Southwest Philly so that's what my accent is.

The further out you go from the city and urban areas, the more of a caricature people's "accents" become. You can always tell when somebody is forcing it or not just speaking naturally. You can tell who actually grew up learning to talk that way and who's doing it to sound "Philly". Like Montgomery County, Bucks County, and South Jersey. None of them have Philly accents unless they or the majority of people in their neighborhood are first generation non-Philadelphians. You can tell because they have to intentionally do things when talking that people who actually grew up talking that way just do naturally.
Suburbanites definitely have Philadelphia accents. They're just toned down. People tend to still speak in the same general way (on rhyming with "awn," hahrrible instead of whoreable, etc. etc.). I'm a born-and-need suburbanite who tends to speak toned-down, but for whatever reason, get some alcohol in me, and I sound like my Souf Filly grandparents. I guess it's because I spent a lot of time with them growing up?

Old 08-04-2013, 12:39 PM

Oh and by the way, there is no "ch". It's "dy" Like "What you" isn't "Wachu". It's "Wadyu" Same deal for "Widyu" and all of those other supposed "ch" words. That's what people who copy the accent don't get.

You can always, always tell somebody who grew up with it to somebody who copied it. Even on the news. When that guy got hit in South Philly in the middle of the day this past year and they interviewed this dude who was friends with his son, the guy they interviewed clearly had a Philly accent. In another story though, in South Philly, you could tell the dude they were interviewing, who was saying "our neighborhood" this and "our neighborhood" that wasn't even remotely from Philly, let alone South Philly.

Last edited by s1oozne; 08-04-2013 at 12:49 PM..

Old 08-04-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Suburbanites definitely have Philadelphia accents. They're just toned down. People tend to still speak in the same general way (on rhyming with "awn," hahrrible instead of whoreable, etc. etc.). I'm a born-and-need suburbanite who tends to speak toned-down, but for whatever reason, get some alcohol in me, and I sound like my Souf Filly grandparents. I guess it's because I spent a lot of time with them growing up?
It's whoever influences you the most. Believe me, you can tell. You can tell what section somebody is from, and if they aren't from the city then you can tell what area they're from. Suburban areas, even ones settled by Philly people, eventually lose the accent, and they end up trying harder to recreate it. A Philly accent is said normally, without needing to manipulate the mouth or consciously say things a certain way. Suburban people tend to put the emphasis on the exaggerated sounds, and their voices aren't as naturally deep as Philly people in general due to being softer, so they try to consciously talk a certain way and you can always tell. A Philly accent is the opposite though. A Philly accent puts the emphasis on the non-exaggerated parts. As opposed to putting the emphasis at the end of the word and stretching it out, they put it on the beginning of the word. It's not "auuuwyyynnnnn" for example. It's "auwyn". Not sure if what I'm trying to say makes sense here or not, but basically the little aspects of the word are all smushed together to the point that a person with a Philly accent doesn't even realize they talk differently.

I'm not from Philly so I don't have a Philly accent. It's a toned down version of one, but not a forced one, so it's an accent just not a Philly one. There's a good chance you and I have a similar accent given that we both grew up around South/Southwest Philly people.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I've known no shortage of Philadelphians of Irish descent, including multi-generationals from the City. I just don't tend to hang around the Kensington types, if that's to whom you're referring.
Uhh no. I don't know what Kensington 'types' speak,but I'm referring more to south Philly,where I lived for 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia