Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 03:41 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,459,538 times

Advertisements

It's not a question of Philly being "un-hip", but its often perceived as the Cleveland of the area (perhaps Baltimore is the Detroit), meaning that, while Philly does have a lot going on for it, one would not know it unless they lived there, or were into it themselves. It also gets a bad rep for being a cheap place to live for those that can't afford to live in New York. Cities like Philly are hip, and usually aren't as sterile as their richer, less working class, counterpart cities (in the case of Philly it would be New York and in the case of Baltimore it would be DC), but not everyone is into that. People seem to want the lifestyle center/attraction type of feel, where a city goes out of their way for tourists, and there is a cop for every 100 people, etc.

Americans do not seem to appreciate gritty cities that remind them of this country's violent and turbulent past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 05:35 PM

187 posts, read 350,523 times
Not sure exactly your point, but Philly does not have a special place in the history of gritty or violence in US history. It has just been slower in breaking out of its post-WW II industrial doldrums compared to other now hip cities like SF and NYC so the grittiness has persevered.

And Philadelphia has a long history of being un-hip and un-fun going back to the 19th Century at least. Probably a deserved reputation, but I think it would be good to reverse that image.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scosm View Post
Not sure exactly your point, but Philly does not have a special place in the history of gritty or violence in US history. It has just been slower in breaking out of its post-WW II industrial doldrums compared to other now hip cities like SF and NYC so the grittiness has persevered.

And Philadelphia has a long history of being un-hip and un-fun going back to the 19th Century at least. Probably a deserved reputation, but I think it would be good to reverse that image.

What about The Roots. Or the Philadelphia Sound. Who can forget Fat Albert. Philadelphia even has a movie with the same name as the city; wasn't necessarily about the city, but they did get a Bruce Springsteen song out of the deal. Philly isn't the worst place in the world, it at least has a presence in the media can't be that un-hip. Don't see people poking fun at it, like they do Akron, OH, for example.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 PM

187 posts, read 350,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
What about The Roots. Or the Philadelphia Sound. Who can forget Fat Albert. Philadelphia even has a movie with the same name as the city; wasn't necessarily about the city, but they did get a Bruce Springsteen song out of the deal. Philly isn't the worst place in the world, it at least has a presence in the media can't be that un-hip. Don't see people poking fun at it, like they do Akron, OH, for example.
Thanks, I guess? You are damning us with faint praise. Philadelphia is the fifth biggest city in the country so of course it has a presence in the media. No doubt there have always been a lot of hip and fun things to come out of Philly. It has just not had a reputation of being a hip place to live.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scosm View Post
Thanks, I guess? You are damning us with faint praise. Philadelphia is the fifth biggest city in the country so of course it has a presence in the media. No doubt there have always been a lot of hip and fun things to come out of Philly. It has just not had a reputation of being a hip place to live.
Why do you hate your city so much? My city has been the bunt of jokes for decades and I am still proud to say that I'm from there. Sure Akron sucks, but what can I do about it. How do you have hip and fun things to do but not have a reputation of being a hip place to live. Philadelphia seems like a cool city; it might have its neighborhoods to avoid but what hip place doesn't?

I would love to say that I'm from Philadelphia. You don't have to explain the city by giving its proximity to Cleveland. You don't have to talk about the population, of the city or the county. You don't have to explain that is was the Rubber Capital of the World, or talk about Devo, or any other trivia.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:30 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladleynet View Post
I moved to the region recently from the UK. Sadly I live a little too far out of the city to really take advantage of everything it offers (trying to move closer, really) but I LOVE it. I lived in Glasgow, Scotland, for six years, and they are very similar - rough and ready, but also very creative and vibrant. I have a background in the cultural/creative sectors so I'm trying very hard to meet people/job opps from the Philly cultural scene. I feel very at home in this city.
Although I am an American I was a member of the Royal Merchant Navy, worked on a British ship, and my home-port was Southampton, Hants.

I agree with you that Philly's closest sibling in the UK is Glasgow. Both are a little gritty and faded; both have a rugged "blue collar" ambiance. But Glasgow and Philly are both very historic, treasure-troves of historic architecture, and first rate when it comes to culture, museums, and an arts scene. Edinburgh is more like Boston: smaller, more elegant and refined.

I once told Mayor Nutter to his face that I loved Philly only as someone who was not born here nor raised here could!

Old 01-25-2013, 06:01 PM

9 posts, read 11,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Although I am an American I was a member of the Royal Merchant Navy, worked on a British ship, and my home-port was Southampton, Hants.

I agree with you that Philly's closest sibling in the UK is Glasgow. Both are a little gritty and faded; both have a rugged "blue collar" ambiance. But Glasgow and Philly are both very historic, treasure-troves of historic architecture, and first rate when it comes to culture, museums, and an arts scene. Edinburgh is more like Boston: smaller, more elegant and refined.

I once told Mayor Nutter to his face that I loved Philly only as someone who was not born here nor raised here could!
You are so right about Edinburgh being a bit like Boston! I tried to explain to Philadelphians that the rivalry between Glasgow and Edinburgh is like Philly and New York, but yes, Boston and Edinburgh work very well.

I do love it here, just having a tough time cracking the job market at the moment tbh.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Welcome to America and Philadelphia! Glad you are enjoying. You are right, you will meet more creative people in the city. You will have more social interaction in general being in the city.
Thank you for the welcome!

Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,543 times
Yes, welcome! I spent last summer in Scotland in St. Andrews and visited both Glasgow and Edinburgh several times. They were both stunning, but in the end I preferred Glasgow. It is on my list of places to possibly move after I've finished school. I haven't been to Boston yet, but I guess I know which city I'll end up preferring between Boston and Philadelphia!

Old 01-26-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Yes, welcome! I spent last summer in Scotland in St. Andrews and visited both Glasgow and Edinburgh several times. They were both stunning, but in the end I preferred Glasgow. It is on my list of places to possibly move after I've finished school. I haven't been to Boston yet, but I guess I know which city I'll end up preferring between Boston and Philadelphia!
That's so funny! I grew up in St.Andrews, and got my degrees from Glasgow. I would happily move back to Glasgow any time :P Were you in St.Andrews at the Uni?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia