Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 12:29 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,705,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
While growing up in the Northeast - not declared hip yet, but who knows? - Kaiser said, "Philly felt so quiet and dead. Now this feels like the right city. It's really interesting and refreshing."
In 2006, Luke Butler came here for graduate school. He moved from London, terminally cool but ineffably expensive. At age 29, he is now chief of staff for the deputy mayor for economic development, courting technology start-ups and entrepreneurs to move to the city. He said, "Companies can't attract young talent in the suburbs." He loves it here. He tweets as phillyluke.
What makes our city more interesting? Young people, affordable and good restaurants, interesting neighborhoods, new businesses, growing art and music scenes, bike lanes. Like Portland, great craft beer and independent coffeehouses. And we have sun. We have no television show celebrating our burgeoning hipster status - no Philadelphia-IA - but there's always time.
Karen Heller: Philadelphia: It may not be all hip, but it's interesting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 04:26 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,898,569 times
Default That city is thriving!

I just spent 3 weeks in the city, Northeast to be exact and I just LOVED it! I enjoyed the place SO much because SO much has evolved but it's STILL PHILLY.
Up in the Northeast I was able to walk around a bit and shop with my friends at the supermarket and just people watch. I enjoyed the multicultural aspect of the shoppers and the paced that they moved and it made me laugh a bit just seeing how animated they were and how loud they speak. (LOL That's my hometown!!)

I ate at brazilian, mexican, and domincan restaurants, enjoyed the walkability of the city and just loved seeing all the new businesses and homes in revitalized areas around town. Philly's real cool, forget the naysayers..., many of whom haven't been in town in a couple of decades as well as those that live in the city but don't get around much. Even my friend who's lived there for 18 years had NEVER been in West Philly/U-City past 30th St Station or maybe a round about visit to the area around St. Joe's when she worked just off City Ave in Overbrook. She enjoyed herself with my friends & family out there and never once did we feel unsafe.

Also we went to a screening in Manayunk and hung out in a few of the bars/restaurants on Main, visited a long time friend in Roxboro and spent a day with my relatives in Chestnut Hill. Had a blast in each place as they ALL have their own flavor. Oh, I also rented an apartment upstairs from her. lol

Old 01-23-2013, 05:04 PM

^^ Glad you enjoyed and noticed the change! Come back and visit soon.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:59 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,898,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
^^ Glad you enjoyed and noticed the change! Come back and visit soon.
Oh I most definitely will, I have 1 bdrm apt now. I surely won't be until it's much warmer though. lol

Old 01-24-2013, 07:32 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times
"We have no television show celebrating our burgeoning hipster status - no Philadelphia-IA - but there's always time."

Ugh, Please don't let this ever happen. I love the show Portlandia but I would not be thrilled with it if Portland were my hometown. I know the show is based on exaggerations but the characters seem to mostly be clueless, narcissictic and hypocritical.
Buying local, eating healthy and being green are all great things but you would think nobody outside Portland followed that mantra by watching the show.

I guess it's better than the 5 Philadelphians on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia being portrayed as narcissistic, low-brow psychopaths. I really do like both shows though haha.

But it was a good article, and not only because Germantown was mentioned as becoming hip haha.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 01-24-2013 at 07:43 AM..

Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,158,016 times
"many of whom haven't been in town in a couple of decades as well as those that live in the city but don't get around much. Even my friend who's lived there for 18 years had NEVER been in West Philly/U-City past 30th St Station"

*A relative with whom I do not get along*, who briefly lived at 34th and Powelton in the 1960s, just learned that I'm planning to move to University City. She had never heard the term "university city", scoffed when I used the term, and presumed to correct me: "No no, the area is called *Powelton Village*" (I know PV, and I'm definitely looking southwest of there). I'm guessing West Philly was a lot different when she last lived there; she just doesn't want to admit she knows less than me. She was shocked and chagrined to find out that I'm actually looking into street numbers higher than 34. Haha. I won't bother correcting her: she'll just tell me that she knows the neighborhood, which she hasn't been in in decades, better than I do. It actually suits my life just fine if she thinks I'll be living in the "war zone" of, say, 43rd and Osage . Hopefully it will keep her from asking to visit.

Last edited by Mimidae; 01-24-2013 at 11:33 AM..

Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 PM

9 posts, read 11,585 times
I moved to the region recently from the UK. Sadly I live a little too far out of the city to really take advantage of everything it offers (trying to move closer, really) but I LOVE it. I lived in Glasgow, Scotland, for six years, and they are very similar - rough and ready, but also very creative and vibrant. I have a background in the cultural/creative sectors so I'm trying very hard to meet people/job opps from the Philly cultural scene. I feel very at home in this city.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:36 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,459,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
"We have no television show celebrating our burgeoning hipster status - no Philadelphia-IA - but there's always time."

Ugh, Please don't let this ever happen. I love the show Portlandia but I would not be thrilled with it if Portland were my hometown. I know the show is based on exaggerations but the characters seem to mostly be clueless, narcissictic and hypocritical.
Buying local, eating healthy and being green are all great things but you would think nobody outside Portland followed that mantra by watching the show.

I guess it's better than the 5 Philadelphians on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia being portrayed as narcissistic, low-brow psychopaths. I really do like both shows though haha.

But it was a good article, and not only because Germantown was mentioned as becoming hip haha.
I always thought Philadelphia was hip. Wasn't Real World in Philadelphia one season?

Old 01-24-2013, 03:09 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I always thought Philadelphia was hip. Wasn't Real World in Philadelphia one season?
Haha, yes it was and that was probably the ”realest” season of the real world. I remember the cast got in a fight at a bar in Old City because they acted as if they should be treated differently than anyone else. I'm sure they learned where they were very quickly. Almost makes me wish they did film the one Jersey Shore season in Sea Isle. I'm sure the Philly natives would've put them in place too.

But yes, I've always thought of Philly as hip too. The hippies do all meet on South st, South st.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladleynet View Post
I moved to the region recently from the UK. Sadly I live a little too far out of the city to really take advantage of everything it offers (trying to move closer, really) but I LOVE it. I lived in Glasgow, Scotland, for six years, and they are very similar - rough and ready, but also very creative and vibrant. I have a background in the cultural/creative sectors so I'm trying very hard to meet people/job opps from the Philly cultural scene. I feel very at home in this city.
Welcome to America and Philadelphia! Glad you are enjoying. You are right, you will meet more creative people in the city. You will have more social interaction in general being in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia