Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 08:04 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times

Advertisements

Retail theft bothers me. Many stores and businesses are closed and should be watched closely during this time. The city will turn into the wild west real quick as soon as low lives see this information.

And burglary? Is that literally breaking into someones home with no punishment now?

Old 03-18-2020, 08:48 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,869,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Retail theft bothers me. Many stores and businesses are closed and should be watched closely during this time. The city will turn into the wild west real quick as soon as low lives see this information.

And burglary? Is that literally breaking into someones home with no punishment now?
Seems that way. Burglary and grand theft auto should NOT be ignored. Absolutely another reason to get out of this city. Poor judgement and leadership.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:03 AM

1,697 posts, read 970,166 times
This seems insane.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:14 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,753,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Seems that way. Burglary and grand theft auto should NOT be ignored. Absolutely another reason to get out of this city. Poor judgement and leadership.
Crime happens in the suburbs. Obviously not as much but the only time my car was ever vandalized, broken windows stuff stolen....was while it was parked in my Mom's driveway in oh so perfect Haverford.

The leadership question again. Go for it if you honestly believe you can manage better, or have the qualifications, or can tackle the complexity of public service.

Once you are in the 'burbs you will complain about exploding property taxes and, gee, all I'm getting is trash pickup and a volunteer fire service. And schools, it all depends on what 'burb community.

I spent a big part of my life in the 'burbs growing up there and living there as a young adult. I hated it from time I was 15. It was boring, insular, and rife with subtle racism. Definitely not for everyone.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Crime happens in the suburbs. Obviously not as much but the only time my car was ever vandalized, broken windows stuff stolen....was while it was parked in my Mom's driveway in oh so perfect Haverford.

The leadership question again. Go for it if you honestly believe you can manage better, or have the qualifications, or can tackle the complexity of public service.

Once you are in the 'burbs you will complain about exploding property taxes and, gee, all I'm getting is trash pickup and a volunteer fire service. And schools, it all depends on what 'burb community.

I spent a big part of my life in the 'burbs growing up there and living there as a young adult. I hated it from time I was 15. It was boring, insular, and rife with subtle racism. Definitely not for everyone.
I wasn't saying that crime does not happen in the suburbs. However, I don't see police in Montco, Bucks, Delco or other places waving burglaries and grand theft auto. That's absurd. And why do I have to run for a political leadership position because I voiced my concern? I have a life and a career with a family to provide for. Sorry, but I'm not making a change to a political career where I'd have to start over, lose income (greatly) and get into something I don't like. Unless you'd like to bankroll me for any lost income. You game?

Old 03-18-2020, 12:42 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,746,472 times
this should make women and the elderly very concerned that such a dumb statement was released by philly police dept

Old 03-19-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
I wasn't saying that crime does not happen in the suburbs. However, I don't see police in Montco, Bucks, Delco or other places waving burglaries and grand theft auto. That's absurd. And why do I have to run for a political leadership position because I voiced my concern? I have a life and a career with a family to provide for. Sorry, but I'm not making a change to a political career where I'd have to start over, lose income (greatly) and get into something I don't like. Unless you'd like to bankroll me for any lost income. You game?
We are all concerned about leadership. However our most talented usually people don't go into public service at least not so much anymore because the private sector, generally, secures them better careers.

As I said my parents left the city for some of the same reasons you are. It's a personal decision and I do understand that.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
We are all concerned about leadership. However our most talented usually people don't go into public service at least not so much anymore because the private sector, generally, secures them better careers.

As I said my parents left the city for some of the same reasons you are. It's a personal decision and I do understand that.
The thing that is more discouraging than the pay issue is the types of people you'd have to deal with. These politicians are worse than the mafia. Lying, conniving, cheating, stealing, slow, lazy and ignorant. And the public is ignorant too. Selfish and focused on their own special interests with little ability to weigh ideas beyond their own needs.

Anyone who wants to go into politics today must either be a typical politician (out for their own gain) or someone who is full of hubris and confidence, and an incredible tolerance for misery. And let's not forget that the machine is so large that even if you get into a leadership position, you are hemmed in on all sides by opposition and party politics. The machine is broken to the point that it needs to be smashed into pieces, swept into the trash and completely replaced. But people are not yet ready for that.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
The thing that is more discouraging than the pay issue is the types of people you'd have to deal with. These politicians are worse than the mafia. Lying, conniving, cheating, stealing, slow, lazy and ignorant. And the public is ignorant too. Selfish and focused on their own special interests with little ability to weigh ideas beyond their own needs.

Anyone who wants to go into politics today must either be a typical politician (out for their own gain) or someone who is full of hubris and confidence, and an incredible tolerance for misery. And let's not forget that the machine is so large that even if you get into a leadership position, you are hemmed in on all sides by opposition and party politics. The machine is broken to the point that it needs to be smashed into pieces, swept into the trash and completely replaced. But people are not yet ready for that.
Part of what I kind of meant was that the caliber of people who do go into public service has changed for the worse in my lifetime. That's part of why a guy like Obama was a bit of a surprise. He could have just spent his life being a successful lawyer but, obviously, he didn't want to do that.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:31 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:

The new "progressives" on city council are no different than their predecessors - Loud, aggressive, one sided, bitter, ignorant, and out for their own gain. But since they use the term "progressive" I guess that makes them good?

There are a few good ones, but most new and old leaders in Philadelphia are underwhelming. I think someone who truly cares about the city might be able to get more accomplished outside of the political arena, but in most cases that requires a lot of money, time, patience and passion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia