Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:26 AM

9,391 posts, read 9,375,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
What's weird about that kind of discussion? Plenty of people (not me, but lots of others) have to talk that talk for their jobs. It may be pointless to someone NOT involved in such fields, but guess what... lots of people have to think about this stuff every day to put food on the table.

Oh and a "retail coming to Philadelphia" thread has gone on for (84!) pages and at least a year, and not because of me... oh wait, only rich arseholes who live in Rittenhouse Square or on the Main Line and are fashion experts are entitled to post to that thread. Supermarkets and the like are not worthy of discussion in that country club of a thread.

No because you go on there and post ridiculous ideas about how a JoAnn Fabrics should open up in the current Macys space in CC, or how Barnes and Nobles should close its Rittenhouse location and probably become a Wine & Spirits.

That thread is for actual retail news/suggestions that make sense for the area.

And if you search the thread there is mention of Trader Joes and Whole Foods developments, so it is not just high end retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 11:19 AM

134 posts, read 475,641 times
Motownewave the reason people are gaining up on you is because your opinions about towns are outlandish. Upper Darby is not a great area but the reasoning you give for that is asinine...because some woman who didn't speak english almost ran into your shopping cart? because you feel uncomfortable when some people in a neighborhood don't speak English as their first language?

Then you berate Swarthmore for its proximity to Chester and the potential for spillover crime? You sound like the paranoid housewife you probably are. Not to mention the fact that you kill the main line for what...a pothole problem? I actually agree with the pothole problem but there is an absurd amount of retail available on the main line as compared to other places...and YES KING OF PRUSSIA DOES COUNT!! ITS ON THE MAINLINE!! WHY WOULDN'T IT!?!? just because it better fits your narrative? oh and aside from then how about suburban square, all the retail on route 30, gateway shopping center, the new complex in malvern with the wegmans right by Vanguard and a number of of other areas where high end and low end retail is available. And lets just save the best for last...people in Wynnewood should be worried because of their proximity to West Philly. Holy moly I can't even believe you said that. I feel like in your mind people from West Philly just wait until the sun starts to set and then say "alright...lets head out to the suburbs to find some unsuspecting wealthy folks to rob and kill..."

Old 04-30-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Gee, I feel so sad for all the poor people on welfare, wic, food stamps shopping for budget foods at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Seriously, you people remind me sometimes of George Carlin imitating a white person feeling blue - the espresso machine is jammed?! Banana Republic ran out of khakis?!
You are a very contradictory person. You bash towns for supposedly being impovershed or trash ridden, yet you sass me for talking about upscale grocers and clothing retailers.........

Old 05-01-2015, 08:55 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,782,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweendog024 View Post
Motownewave the reason people are gaining up on you is because your opinions about towns are outlandish. Upper Darby is not a great area but the reasoning you give for that is asinine...because some woman who didn't speak english almost ran into your shopping cart? because you feel uncomfortable when some people in a neighborhood don't speak English as their first language?

Then you berate Swarthmore for its proximity to Chester and the potential for spillover crime? You sound like the paranoid housewife you probably are. Not to mention the fact that you kill the main line for what...a pothole problem? I actually agree with the pothole problem but there is an absurd amount of retail available on the main line as compared to other places...and YES KING OF PRUSSIA DOES COUNT!! ITS ON THE MAINLINE!! WHY WOULDN'T IT!?!? just because it better fits your narrative? oh and aside from then how about suburban square, all the retail on route 30, gateway shopping center, the new complex in malvern with the wegmans right by Vanguard and a number of of other areas where high end and low end retail is available. And lets just save the best for last...people in Wynnewood should be worried because of their proximity to West Philly. Holy moly I can't even believe you said that. I feel like in your mind people from West Philly just wait until the sun starts to set and then say "alright...lets head out to the suburbs to find some unsuspecting wealthy folks to rob and kill..."
Ah, no. Technically KOP is NOT on the Main Line. The Main Line are all the towns that follow the Paoli/Thorndale Septa Regional Rail line with, perhaps, of the inclusion the Overbrook station which is in the city. In the old days, when the line was part of PRR, and called the Paoli Local, the Main Line ended at Paoli.

Trying to expand the Main Line is sort of like the idea of trying to expand Center City beyond its traditional boundaries to "latch" on to whatever cachet Center City has.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:06 AM

So you are telling me about the area I grew up in? I live in Wayne and it takes me less than 10 minutes to go to any location in King of Prussia Mall. I guess that shouldn't count as retail for the main line. Good point sir.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Ah, no. Technically KOP is NOT on the Main Line. The Main Line are all the towns that follow the Paoli/Thorndale Septa Regional Rail line with, perhaps, of the inclusion the Overbrook station which is in the city. In the old days, when the line was part of PRR, and called the Paoli Local, the Main Line ended at Paoli.

Trying to expand the Main Line is sort of like the idea of trying to expand Center City beyond its traditional boundaries to "latch" on to whatever cachet Center City has.
I don't get that either. Even new development in Media/Newtown Square and West Chester uses the terms "Main Line Living/Luxury" (I know Newtown Sq) is close the Main Line).

For me personally I am more attracted to Media/West Chester due to the downtowns. And Chester County has a bucolic atmosphere that the Main Line no longer has.

And IMO a lot of the Media area is more aesthetically appealing than a good chunk of the Main Line and has more outdoor recreational opportunities than most other suburbs in the area. The Main Line is wonderful, but I feel that most of our suburban towns have enough going for them where they do not need the catchet of the Main Line term.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:25 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,739,075 times
Quote:
So you are telling me about the area I grew up in? I live in Wayne and it takes me less than 10 minutes to go to any location in King of Prussia Mall. I guess that shouldn't count as retail for the main line. Good point sir.
Actually, she's right. Where do you think that the term Main Line comes from? The train line. Not all train lines, either.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:22 AM

The point im trying to make is the accessibility of retail on the main line. King of Prussia mall is less than 5 minutes from the Radnor/strafford/wayne town lines. If you want to split hairs that is fine but the point is that the main line has plenty of accessible retail.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:03 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,190,349 times
Quote:
From a technical perspective, he is correct. The Main Line is, literally, the train line. So all the suburban stops along those train tracks are technically part of the Main Line--Merion, Narberth, Wynnewood, Ardmore, Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Rosemont, Villanova, Radnor, St. Davids, Wayne, Strafford, Devon, Berwyn, Daylesford, Paoli. Some folks consider Malvern part of it too, as the next train stop after Paoli is Malvern.

I grew up, and still live, in Havertown. I have never referred, nor do I now refer, to Havertown as the Main Line. Are we near the Main Line? Yes. But we're not "on" the Main Line.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:29 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,845,286 times
Old Maids Never Wed And Have Babies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia