Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2023, 09:45 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
You mean Helen "I founded a charter school but don't want you to have the option of sending your kids to one" Gym?

Is there any way to look up what the demographics are for each charter school?

Edit: If anyone else is curious it is available here: https://schoolprofiles.philasd.org/cacs/demographics

A little lunch break pie chart lol

To me, why the demographics are important is this: Is this school Helen championed actually lifting up the people who live in the neighborhood around? To answer that more completely, I need more info on that, but only 8% African American seems low given West Poplar is a majority black neighborhood. But I guess the point of the charter school's isn't necessarily to build neighborhood equity.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 01-26-2023 at 10:18 AM..

Old 01-26-2023, 11:22 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Is there any way to look up what the demographics are for each charter school?

Edit: If anyone else is curious it is available here: https://schoolprofiles.philasd.org/cacs/demographics

A little lunch break pie chart lol

To me, why the demographics are important is this: Is this school Helen championed actually lifting up the people who live in the neighborhood around? To answer that more completely, I need more info on that, but only 8% African American seems low given West Poplar is a majority black neighborhood. But I guess the point of the charter school's isn't necessarily to build neighborhood equity.
IIRC, Folk Arts-Cultural Treasures Charter School isn't located in West Poplar but in Chinatown North, in the building that once housed the Holy Redeemer parochial school.

Just looked up the school, and while it's not in the former Holy Redeemer school building, it's in the 1000 block of Callowhill Street, which is in Callowhill/Chinatown North, not West Poplar.

So whatever you might want to say about Gym, her school is lifting up the people who live in its neighborhood, as Chinatown proper lies just to its south and a large Chinese housing development sits next to Holy Redeemer Church two blocks east. Oh, and: the Chinese Cultural Center apartment tower is right around the corner and one block south at 10th and Vine.

Old 01-26-2023, 09:12 PM

1,170 posts, read 590,192 times
I have a sad, sinking feeling that Gym will win the primary. Question, is Rendell well enough to opine on this election? I love me some Fast Eddie and I love some of his input.

Old 01-26-2023, 10:14 PM

386 posts, read 265,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
I have a sad, sinking feeling that Gym will win the primary. Question, is Rendell well enough to opine on this election? I love me some Fast Eddie and I love some of his input.
He wrote an oped with Tom Ridge about a week ago giving advice to Shapiro so he’s definitely well enough to at least write his opinion.

Old 01-31-2023, 05:13 AM

It’s kinda wild that Gym had the gall to go to the union league last night after grandstanding outside of it last week. It’s all just an act to play a part. And that type of performative politics is not what we need

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 01-31-2023 at 06:12 AM..

Old 01-31-2023, 08:38 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
It’s kinda wild that Gym had the gall to go to the union league last night after grandstanding outside of it last week. It’s all just an act to play a part. And that type of performative politics is not what we need
The Inquirer picked up the story.

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/cl...utType=default

As much as I dislike Ernest Owens, I'm glad he tweeted a pic of her at the Union League. She needs to stumble a lot to lose the primary, and this is a good start.

Old 01-31-2023, 09:09 AM

386 posts, read 265,768 times
I’ve always felt she is putting on a performance. There are some true believers of far left policies but I don’t think she’s one of them. I actually respect those people more than I respect someone like Gym who I think is just doing what she thinks will help her win the election.

Old 02-04-2023, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
I’ve always felt she is putting on a performance. There are some true believers of far left policies but I don’t think she’s one of them. I actually respect those people more than I respect someone like Gym who I think is just doing what she thinks will help her win the election.
She’s going to win. Performance art is what the powers that be want. They don’t actually want change.

Old 02-04-2023, 10:43 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
She’s going to win. Performance art is what the powers that be want. They don’t actually want change.
Don't put bad juju into the universe.

In all seriousness, I will lose respect for Philadelphia if people elect Helen Gym as Mayor after dealing with Kenney for 8 years... It will solidify 8 years of mediocrity...

Old 02-04-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Don't put bad juju into the universe.

In all seriousness, I will lose respect for Philadelphia if people elect Helen Gym as Mayor after dealing with Kenney for 8 years... It will solidify 8 years of mediocrity...
How do you think I feel? Haha… Spent the last decade and a half trying to make the city a better place to live. For what? For people to say “gentrification” is the problem? That cleaning up litter is bad? That the real victims are the people who litter and sell drugs?

I mean I literally sound like the right-wing people who use to be on this board, but that’s the exact policy of the “working family party” communists. It’s a gross coalition of entitled college students, delusional fake-hippy Karens, and actual pro-criminal anarchists. My time is up in South Philly, and I have been deeply contemplating on what I should actually do next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia