Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 08:47 PM

1,385 posts, read 909,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
"All politics is local":

I voted for the two Republican candidates for the at-large Council seats because I fear the Working Families Party will screw up both development and rental housing in this city.

Besides, neither Republican was a MAGAnaut: Both were centrist, and one of the two was a Democrat who switched parties because he felt the Democrats had become insufficiently appreciative of capitalism. The Inky'e profile of him began by noting that his progressive friends were calling him a DINO, and now he would probably be considered a RINO.
It looks like they both lost to the WFP and the lone GOP representative on council will be the guy who won the Great Northeast district in the last bastion of anything Republican in Philly. This doesn't seem like progress to me, but the people have spoken.

Old 11-09-2023, 07:11 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
I fear for the loss of even more moderate GOP voices, too. And Philadelphia is one of the last places in the US where they actually exist.

I think the Democrats have successfully kept their fringe at bay; Parker's election affirms that in Philly. On the other hand, the national "brand" of the GOP has clearly become toxic in every non-rural area. It needs to be fixed by party leadership that, to date, is too spineless to take on the MAGA cult that has taken over its ranks.

Last edited by Duderino; 11-09-2023 at 07:20 AM..

Old 11-09-2023, 12:28 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
There's a lot more in the D party ... their acceptance of anti-semitism is scary.
About as scary as Republicans' acceptance of Islamophobia, especially at the (preceding/de facto) top.

As it is, over two-thirds of Jews vote Democratic. Perhaps recent events will alter that a bit for centrist/one-issue Jewish voters.

Then again, the aforementioned preceding/de facto head and current clear frontrunner has a mixed history throughout his life and during his term regarding Jewish Americans. During his infamous "both sides" press conference - where the original topic was actually supposed to be about finance - he said nothing about the anti-Semitic chants that Friday night in Charlottesville, missing an opportunity to make it personal about his oldest daughter's family, Mnuchin standing behind him, and Gary Cohn who was standing off-camera and reportedly was considering quitting after such an insensitive response.

Back closer to topic: thanks to those who already made my usual periodic point about why Republicans don't/won't gain traction in this city.

Old 11-10-2023, 06:54 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times
Quote:
At least I can admit both parties stink. Can you?

The Dims are the scarier of the two and the party that dragged down Philadelphia. That's all that matters to me as a resident.
Well I for one absolutely can. I vote strategically to avoid the absolute bonkers policy positions from most GOP candidates. Many, dare I even say most, Americans are over the two-party corporate duopoly. We citizens need to push for movements like ranked choice voting to help get us out of this mess.

Old 11-10-2023, 08:18 AM

1,213 posts, read 953,967 times
Yeah, both parties are a mess. Neither even remotely represents the interests and/or goals of most of America. Their hot button issues seem to be:

REPUBs:
- Zero gun control: "What's the problem. Guns don't kill people, people kill people." Sigh - idiots.
- No abortions at all: "You don't want to/can't raise a baby? Too bad, you HAVE to. Or more accurately, you won't, and society will be forced to after the child is all messed up." This makes a ton of sense.
- Morality code: You must fall into our belief system, and if these aren't your beliefs, we'll force you to comply. This includes literature that we deem inappropriate - these publications will be burned and outlawed." Cool.

DEMs:
- Soft on crime: "These kids need more activities and social programs. It's society's fault they shoot people. I mean, what do you expect bored teenagers to do except carjack and kill people?" Yeah, like there were never bored teens in the past. I don't recall daily shootings by teens in previous times, and they were equally as bored. God forbid our teens get jobs or play sports, or even just hang out somewhere without killing or beating people at random.
- Gender identification: "It's a critically important aspect of life and society that people are referred to by their chosen identification. You don't identify as a 'male' or 'female?' Well, of course this is an extremely pressing issue for the masses. Let's make it a top priority." I'll call anyone whatever they would like to be called and couldn't care less what anyone identifies as, but maybe we table this to work on truly pressing issues?
- Immigration: "Everyone deserves a chance and it's incumbent on the US society to ensure this. What's that - we don't have the resources and money to support 10k migrants flooding our country daily? Well, no matter, we still need to openly accept everyone and then it becomes the problem of Texas, California and Florida border cities." Sound reasoning considering basically every other country on earth has a restrictive system including ensuring the new additions to society are literate and have a skill or two to actually contribute to society.

By all means, let's ignore bringing back manufacturing to the US, our broken education system, the meltdown of China's economy, the two ongoing global wars, tax reform, etc... Totally makes sense.

Old 11-10-2023, 09:44 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Yeah, both parties are a mess. Neither even remotely represents the interests and/or goals of most of America. Their hot button issues seem to be:

REPUBs:
- Zero gun control: "What's the problem. Guns don't kill people, people kill people." Sigh - idiots.
- No abortions at all: "You don't want to/can't raise a baby? Too bad, you HAVE to. Or more accurately, you won't, and society will be forced to after the child is all messed up." This makes a ton of sense.
- Morality code: You must fall into our belief system, and if these aren't your beliefs, we'll force you to comply. This includes literature that we deem inappropriate - these publications will be burned and outlawed." Cool.

DEMs:
- Soft on crime: "These kids need more activities and social programs. It's society's fault they shoot people. I mean, what do you expect bored teenagers to do except carjack and kill people?" Yeah, like there were never bored teens in the past. I don't recall daily shootings by teens in previous times, and they were equally as bored. God forbid our teens get jobs or play sports, or even just hang out somewhere without killing or beating people at random.
- Gender identification: "It's a critically important aspect of life and society that people are referred to by their chosen identification. You don't identify as a 'male' or 'female?' Well, of course this is an extremely pressing issue for the masses. Let's make it a top priority." I'll call anyone whatever they would like to be called and couldn't care less what anyone identifies as, but maybe we table this to work on truly pressing issues?
- Immigration: "Everyone deserves a chance and it's incumbent on the US society to ensure this. What's that - we don't have the resources and money to support 10k migrants flooding our country daily? Well, no matter, we still need to openly accept everyone and then it becomes the problem of Texas, California and Florida border cities." Sound reasoning considering basically every other country on earth has a restrictive system including ensuring the new additions to society are literate and have a skill or two to actually contribute to society.

By all means, let's ignore bringing back manufacturing to the US, our broken education system, the meltdown of China's economy, the two ongoing global wars, tax reform, etc... Totally makes sense.
1. Florida isn't a border state, and the immigration issue is complex, and won't be solved on an R vs D basis.

2. Add pushing religion as a Con for the Republicans (look no further than the new Speaker of the House).

3. This is OT (and I respect your views)... You mention gender identification as a con for Democrats, but I see it as a con for Republicans. First, the concept of "gender identification" is absurdly overplayed by the far-right. Further, the far right keeps pushing bizarre and hateful agendas related to this topic, such as anti-trans legislation, book bans, "sexualized content" nonsense, and a general silencing of anything to do with the LGBT community, (Why ostracize a vulnerable yet vocal community?). These tactics are hateful, dated, and a turnoff for a lot of people, even moderate Republicans. And it shows, look at recent local schoolboard elections, which were a disaster for Republicans because of these bizarre and hateful agendas. Just live and let live (sensitive topic for me).

Anyways, back on topic. I 100% agree with your at-large point, both parties have strayed, and the fringes make a lot of noise and somehow keep getting on the ballot. The focus should be working toward a better QOL for all Americans.

Last edited by cpomp; 11-10-2023 at 10:10 AM..

Old 11-10-2023, 10:28 AM

2,045 posts, read 782,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
About as scary as Republicans' acceptance of Islamophobia, especially at the (preceding/de facto) top.
Really? There are valid concerns for the West to fear Islam - Number one being too many Muslims who hate us and aren't afraid to kill and die for their beliefs. What valid reasons does anyone in the West have for fearng Jews?

Old 11-10-2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
1. Florida isn't a border state, and the immigration issue is complex, and won't be solved on an R vs D basis.

2. Add pushing religion as a Con for the Republicans (look no further than the new Speaker of the House).

3. This is OT (and I respect your views)... You mention gender identification as a con for Democrats, but I see it as a con for Republicans. First, the concept of "gender identification" is absurdly overplayed by the far-right. Further, the far right keeps pushing bizarre and hateful agendas related to this topic, such as anti-trans legislation, book bans, "sexualized content" nonsense, and a general silencing of anything to do with the LGBT community, (Why ostracize a vulnerable yet vocal community?). These tactics are hateful, dated, and a turnoff for a lot of people, even moderate Republicans. And it shows, look at recent local schoolboard elections, which were a disaster for Republicans because of these bizarre and hateful agendas. Just live and let live (sensitive topic for me).

Anyways, back on topic. I 100% agree with your at-large point, both parties have strayed, and the fringes make a lot of noise and somehow keep getting on the ballot. The focus should be working toward a better QOL for all Americans.
Yeah, agreed, neither side has a rational view on gender identity, mostly because it's become hyper-politicized, so each side's ideological fringe has dug in to the most extreme view possible. The same thing happened with lockdowns and other mitigation measures during covid, where neither side was right and both sides were counterproductive.

Old 11-10-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Really? There are valid concerns for the West to fear Islam - Number one being too many Muslims who hate us and aren't afraid to kill and die for their beliefs. What valid reasons does anyone in the West have for fearng Jews?
Actually, the most vitriolic antisemitism is now coming from the far right conspiracy morons, blaming "Jews" for using their control of banks, government, and media to enact the liberal new world order and the covid gene-altering, mind control vaccines and white replacement immigration and a bunch of the most hateful nonsense out there.

Old 11-10-2023, 11:38 AM

2,045 posts, read 782,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Actually, the most vitriolic antisemitism is now coming from the far right conspiracy morons, blaming "Jews" for using their control of banks, government, and media to enact the liberal new world order and the covid gene-altering, mind control vaccines and white replacement immigration and a bunch of the most hateful nonsense out there.
Are they Republican politicians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia