Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 06:59 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,357,240 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Figured I would start a thread so we don't clog up the 2035 thread.

Feel free to share updates, opinions, predictions, etc. I will start...

Allan Domb resigned from City Council a few weeks ago. He has not formally announced his run for Mayor, but he will. And it looks Derek Green & Maria Quinones-Sanchez are joining the race. Thoughts?

The race begins: Philly Council members Maria Quiñones-Sánchez and Derek Green are running for mayor

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/ph...-20220906.html

City Council members Derek Green and Maria Quiñones-Sánchez are both resigning Tuesday and launching campaigns for the May 2023 Democratic primary for mayor, they told The Inquirer in separate interviews.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:08 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,527,842 times
Some people really like MQS, but I'm much more of a skeptic. If she is so acutely aware of the problems that exist in her district, why has she done so little to address them over such a long period of time? The media needs to press her on what she believes the problems were for solving the problems and how she plans on addressing them so she isn't a failed mayor.

Old 09-06-2022, 11:28 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,611,389 times
Great idea creating a thread about this.

At the very least, it's great to see a lot of interest in the Mayor's race. This will increase the likelihood of a top quality candidate emerging, which I think everyone can agree Philadelphia desperately needs.

Any guesses as to who may be early front-runners? I'm rooting for Domb or Rhynhart, but it's very early of course.

Old 09-06-2022, 12:05 PM

386 posts, read 267,561 times
I like Domb and Rhynhart but I’m thinking Green may be the best candidate available that can get the consensus needed to win the primary. I’m open to a few candidates though.

Old 09-06-2022, 12:30 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,527,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
I like Domb and Rhynhart but I’m thinking Green may be the best candidate available that can get the consensus needed to win the primary. I’m open to a few candidates though.

I just feel like I don't know Green well enough yet to have an opinion. I'm pretty sure I voted for him when he first ran for at-large. Seemed like an intelligent good guy. I believe he was a lawyer. He's got an autistic son, which is a huge and tough responsibility. Policy wise I am unsure.

Old 09-07-2022, 11:09 AM

The 4th council person to resign. Every election is important, but I strongly believe Philadelphia's future (for better or worse) will be determined next year between the Mayor and special council elections.

Philly Councilmember Cherelle L. Parker resigns ahead of expected run for mayor

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/el...-20220907.html

Old 09-07-2022, 01:40 PM

744 posts, read 776,803 times
I am surprised by Parker and MQS resigning. I don't view either as having much of a shot. I don't see either having much draw city wide. Parker comes across as pretty dopey. MQS's district is a hellscape and she can't show much ability to improve the lives of her constituents. I respect that she has held on to power in the face of opposition of the democratic machine though.

I think Green could be a great choice for Mayor. He could be the perfect bridge between old and new Philadelphia. He is a smart guy and very likable. I also respect that he is more interested in policy instead of being obsessed over the rhetoric associated with national issues. He and Rhynhart are my top choices.

I have a hard time seeing Domb winning. He will be massively opposed by the anti Gentrification crowd. He is also too easily persuaded by silly ideas like the tax lien securitization he was pushing a while back.

Old 09-07-2022, 01:48 PM

1,697 posts, read 975,188 times
Someone should tell Darrell Clarke to run!

(That's the only way to get that ******* off the Council)

Old 09-07-2022, 02:28 PM

1,213 posts, read 957,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Someone should tell Darrell Clarke to run!

(That's the only way to get that ******* off the Council)
Haha, right? That would be amazing, but he will NEVER leave Council. Also, can you imagine a world where he might somehow win the role of Mayor of Philadelphia? OMG!!! LOL

Old 09-07-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Haha, right? That would be amazing, but he will NEVER leave Council. Also, can you imagine a world where he might somehow win the role of Mayor of Philadelphia? OMG!!! LOL
Speak of the devil, he decides in-person vs. virtual.

I don't see the need for any virtual sessions, but it's a start...

Philly City Council will return to in-person meetings this fall — sometimes

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/ph...-20220907.html

After working virtually for more than two years, Philadelphia City Council will hold weekly meetings in person this fall, but committee hearings will continue to be held remotely due to “continuing public health concerns,” officials said Wednesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia