Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2023, 07:10 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times

Advertisements

At least Jim Kenney understands, let's hope the next Mayor does too...

Kenney says he wants Philadelphia taxes to 'no longer be a burden for businesses'
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Mayor Jim Kenney challenged the next mayor and City Council to continue working to make Philadelphia more business-friendly at his final Mayoral Luncheon hosted by the Chamber of Commerce for Greater Philadelphia on Wednesday.

The mayor applauded the chamber and the city's diverse chambers for their work in influencing City Hall to cut taxes. The Kenney Administration made cuts to the Business Income and Receipts Tax (BIRT), reducing it from 6.2% to 5.99%, as well as cutting the wage tax for residents and non-residents in the fiscal 2023 budget. In an interview with Independence Blue Cross CEO Gregory Deavens during the chamber event, Kenney said he hopes those cuts continue in the next administration, which will take over in January 2024.

Old 02-10-2023, 11:46 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Kenney never had that bad of policy on paper. That's why he got elected twice. He understood stabilizing the pension and improving the city's credit score was essential and he achieved that. Really his failure to me has been his inability to drive change in the city departments that are oversaw by the mayor's office such as the Streets Dept performance.

Maybe he should have fired Outlaw by now, but I feel like you need a real reason to without getting sued for wrongful termination, and frankly the DA in Philly apparently wields a ton of power in the realm of public safety.

We need like half the people running for mayor to drop out so the winner isn't elected by getting less than 33% of the vote like Krasner's primary

Old 02-13-2023, 04:29 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
David Oh becomes first Republican to join Philadelphia mayor's race, resigns City Council seat

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=3#cxrecs_s

Old 02-14-2023, 04:45 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
David Oh becomes first Republican to join Philadelphia mayor's race, resigns City Council seat

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=3#cxrecs_s
The good news (for him) is, he will likely not have to do any real campaigning until after May.

But I hope he does mount a vigorous campaign after that. The general election shouldn't be a coronation, and in Oh, we have a sane, sensible Republican who I think could put forth a convincing alternate vision of how the city should work.

Old 02-14-2023, 05:07 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Kenney never had that bad of policy on paper. That's why he got elected twice. He understood stabilizing the pension and improving the city's credit score was essential and he achieved that. Really his failure to me has been his inability to drive change in the city departments that are oversaw by the mayor's office such as the Streets Dept performance.

Maybe he should have fired Outlaw by now, but I feel like you need a real reason to without getting sued for wrongful termination, and frankly the DA in Philly apparently wields a ton of power in the realm of public safety.

We need like half the people running for mayor to drop out so the winner isn't elected by getting less than 33% of the vote like Krasner's primary
Can you believe the primary is about three months away? I am so nervous. As much as I'd love all these councilmembers to drop out, with so little time, I find it hard to believe many will do so. I am still team Rhynhart. I can't see anyone else really giving Gym a run for her money.

Old 02-14-2023, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Can you believe the primary is about three months away? I am so nervous. As much as I'd love all these councilmembers to drop out, with so little time, I find it hard to believe many will do so. I am still team Rhynhart. I can't see anyone else really giving Gym a run for her money.

Yeah, I'm not sure. The only thing I am sure of, is I have little confidence in the Gym Kenney coalition losing. I could not be more disappointed in the teacher's union endorsement

Old 02-14-2023, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure. The only thing I am sure of, is I have little confidence in the Gym Kenney coalition losing. I could not be more disappointed in the teacher's union endorsement
The union that represents the city's sanitation and blue-collar workers, however, has endorsed Mr. Pick-Up-the-Damn-Trash for mayor, and they will turn out for Jeff Brown.

And I trust that this means that, should he win, they will pick up the damn trash.

Old 02-14-2023, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The union that represents the city's sanitation and blue-collar workers, however, has endorsed Mr. Pick-Up-the-Damn-Trash for mayor, and they will turn out for Jeff Brown.

And I trust that this means that, should he win, they will pick up the damn trash.

The "counter" reaction to that pissed me off to be honest. Myself and two other people are our blocks volunteer cleaning crew. I would love if my hipster neighbors got off their high horse once in a while and helped. The Gym Kenney's were like "how dare anyone ask us to do anything for the community!". I saw Domb catching similar flak for saying people should pick up at least one piece every day. That really would make a difference.

Old 02-14-2023, 02:12 PM

Quote:
The "counter" reaction to that pissed me off to be honest. Myself and two other people are our blocks volunteer cleaning crew. I would love if my hipster neighbors got off their high horse once in a while and helped. The Gym Kenney's were like "how dare anyone ask us to do anything for the community!". I saw Domb catching similar flak for saying people should pick up at least one piece every day. That really would make a difference.
Agreed.

And that's a shame. Talk about entitled. Any of your neighbors named Karen?

However, in addition to picking up at least one piece of trash each day, I'd say most Philadelphians should also practice holding onto at least one piece of trash until they can find a wastebasket to put it in each day,

Old 02-14-2023, 02:30 PM

471 posts, read 272,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Domb is my pick, but Rhynhart seems so much more popular that I may vote for her simply because I'm anti-Gym above all else. I get the feeling people are worried about Domb doing shady things to help his real estate biz when in reality, he would benefit most from a safe, growing city which would create demand for his properties. Frankly I'm far more concerned about someone like Gym or Amen brown acting in self-interest. Depending on who wins the primary I may go for David Oh.

Also, it's shame Kenyatta Johnson seems like a lock to keep control over his current district (where I live) and keep Point Breeze down forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia