Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 12:57 PM

16 posts, read 66,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarilynMarilyn View Post
Congratulations on the job offer!!!
I don't blame you for not wanting to live in Philly. If the City of Philadelphia is your employer (you didn't say) you need to be aware of the tax that non resident city employees pay for living outside of the city limits. If you're willing to pay the tax you can live in near by New Jersey or Delaware.
how much is this tax in 2007 for non-residents who live outside Philly, but work in the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 01:27 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv102 View Post
how much is this tax in 2007 for non-residents who live outside Philly, but work in the city?
It's slightly less than 4%. If you both live and work in Philly, it's a bit more than 4%.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:17 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,589,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd7788 View Post
Mrshvo: Where did these things happen to your friend? While she was on house calls or...?

Rainrock: Right now I'm waiting for an acceptance letter as I wanted to put their offer in writing, which they found strange. They said they would email something today, but didn't. There are two buildings: 1801 Vine St. and 34 S 11th. St. I would have to split between both buildings, hopefully every other month. Do you know anything about these areas or the buildings? I haven't seen them yet. Are they well kept or falling apart dumps of a place?

What places would your recommend on Center City for housing considering I"m a really petite female and safety is the most important consideration? Also, are there any safe and quiet areas. I have a low tolerance for noise.

Duderino; Rainrock: What areas do you recommend?

Thanks again for your help.

I'm not Rainrock or Duderino, but I live in center city and can answer. Both of the buildings are located in very safe center city areas. This is a very walkable city and you will be able to walk to work To the best of my knowledge, both buildings are well kept (from the outside anyway). I would recommend you look in the Rittenhouse Square area (centrally located between the two buildings, or the Art Museum Area (closer to Vine Street) or in Washington Park West (this is closer to 11th Street). If the weather is bad and you do need to take public transportation, you will be able to take one bus to either building. You will be safe in either place. Don't be afraid. This is a great city, especially the center city area. I suggest you go to craigslist.com and check apartments in your price range in all of three areas I suggested.

Also, compared to the cost of living in California, you will be surprised at what you can get here in housing.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:25 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,874 times
Quote:
There are two buildings: 1801 Vine St. and 34 S 11th. St. ... Do you know anything about these areas or the buildings?
1801 is located on the parameter of Logan Circle/Square which is a little park with a large brass fountain in the middle. The city library is next door to the court building. There's a starbucks and wholefoods around the corner. Tons of cart food can be found in the area. The Franklin Institute sits on the parameter of the park as well. The park offers a great panarama of the Art Museum. Oh, there's a large population bums who squatt around and stink up the square and library area. Thats the only drama happening there.

34S 11th is right off Market Street, Market Street being a major retail area. Lots of foot traffic and traffic in general. Our subway - SEPTA - follows Market Street underground East and West, matter-of-fact there is a subway stop a half block away from this court building; the stop being at 11th and Market. The Reading Terminal is a few blocks north - a great place for fresh produce and great cuts; the amish even have a small stall where they sell their homemade, oh-so-good foods. Oh, that area is considered the gaybrahood. It's kinda cute that the city gov't put rainbows beneath the streets in the area, around Juniper, 13th, 12th, and 11th Street. Nothing really too exciting here, its really just another city block.

So house wise. I think anywhere between the rivers & north of Washington Street, south of Fairmont Ave - would work for you. I guess it really depends on how much walking you want to do. The best way to find your perfect spot is to simply stroll through Center City and jot down all the signs you see for 1BR avail.

Here's my realtor: Michael Singer Real Estate. Google them, they are online. They have nice/affordable units spread throughout the city. And the managment is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia