Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 06:22 PM

222 posts, read 587,884 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are a young couple from the NYC area looking to relocate to the Philly area. I will be a grad student, she is a teacher. We want to be close to a SEPTA train or metro station (within a mile or so). Access to a lively downtown but have enough privacy and property to escape when needed. We want a safe neighborhood, historic is nice, artsy and young is a plus, and 1,200+ sq. ft. fixer-upper houses should be affordable at <200k.

I know nothing about this area and will be renting for several months before I even consider buying, but right now I am considering all areas Northwest to Northeast of Philly.

Thanks in advance for all your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 07:36 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
Might as well start by googleing SEPTA, the transit system and looking at their maps.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:55 PM

46 posts, read 181,432 times
Well, if you are looking to pay around that much for a house and need easy access to public transportation, then why not pick a nicer neighbordhood? Namely, the Northeast sections.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Might as well start by googleing SEPTA, the transit system and looking at their maps.
Right, already have done that; I am an ardent follower of the ways of Googleism.

And as for as looking in Northeast of the city, well that's exactly what I am doing and believe I mentioned that in the OP. What I don't have is subjective details about specific towns and neighborhoods.

Thanks for the replies so far though, please keep them coming.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:02 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
I regret to say that it will be difficult to find anything in Philly that will fit all of your preferences.

Assuming easy access to a SEPTA Regional Rail commuter train is the highest priority, then I would suggest any neighborhood along the R5 line towards Thorndale, specifically from Ardmore to Wayne. However, since you will be living in a historically upscale area known as the Main Line, finding a condo within your price range would be enough of a challenge. If you must buy a house, then a bit further out in Downingtown might be an option to consider. But then, you might be slipping a notch in perceived safety.

Lively if not quite artsy towns that attract 20-30somethings include West Chester,Conshohocken and Media. WC is buoyed by its namesake state university but does not have train access. Conshy is served by Regional Rail and has become popular with suburban younger professionals and has a number of bars and restaurants but not so much with interesting sightseeing IMO. Media might be perfect for you as it has two different options for transit (light rail trolley and Regional Rail), as well as a family-friendly Main Street with decent options for adults. Still, short of a foreclosure/short sale, you may have to up your offering price a bit to find a SFH in any of these places.

Of course, I could mention several neighborhoods in Philly proper that would embody the historic and artsy scene you desire, many of which can be found in or adjacent to the neighborhoods of Center City (downtown) as well as University City, Manayunk and Chestnut Hill. But again, the flipside is that you will likely have to choose between being a permanent renter or an urban pioneer.

If you tell us where each of you will be working, that will help us to focus your options a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlawrence View Post
My wife and I are a young couple from the NYC area looking to relocate to the Philly area. I will be a grad student, she is a teacher. We want to be close to a SEPTA train or metro station (within a mile or so). Access to a lively downtown but have enough privacy and property to escape when needed. We want a safe neighborhood, historic is nice, artsy and young is a plus, and 1,200+ sq. ft. fixer-upper houses should be affordable at <200k.

I know nothing about this area and will be renting for several months before I even consider buying, but right now I am considering all areas Northwest to Northeast of Philly.

Thanks in advance for all your input.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:12 PM

I will be at UPenn. She is still wading through the paperwork nightmare that is the state certification process for teachers (however a Masters and several years of high level experience will give her many options).

We are not opposed to city living, but would really like at the least a small backyard and a front porch. Safety is important too, but of course, we both have survived NYC and I hear if you can make it there you can make it anywhere

Thanks for all the good advice, we will start searching the mentioned areas.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:26 PM

You might check out Bristol Boro east of Rt 13 on the Delaware River in Bucks County. (I don't mean adjacent Bristol Township which has a bad reputation) It is about 18 miles north of Center City but has a convenient train station on the R7 line that gets you downtown in about 30 minutes. It is a little victorian village with plenty of houses in your price range. It is almost the place that time forgot.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:19 PM

19 posts, read 127,305 times
This city is nothing like NY..... trust me .... been there and lived there. Read the crime stats.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceofmind View Post
This city is nothing like NY..... trust me .... been there and lived there. Read the crime stats.
As a former NYer myself I strongly disagree. When I 1st moved to Center City from Manhattan I occasionally forgot where I was when walking on the street. The "outer boros" and their relation to Manhattan are also remarkably similer to "the neighborhoods" and Center City. (I also lived in Flushing and out in Suffolk Co) Suburbs are suburbs everywhere (except in the sunbelt where that's all there is)

Last edited by bryson662001; 06-23-2008 at 06:37 AM..

Old 06-25-2008, 08:23 PM

113 posts, read 337,312 times
Northeast is good though it's kinda separated from the city or so it seems. You'll have access to the bus and the train. For the times i've had to go to northeast, i've had to take the bus AND the el. The other way to get there is via the regional rail. You may want to get a monthly pass if you'll be using SEPTA a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia