Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:15 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,743 times

Advertisements

But that's exactly the point. R/E is all about location. Rocker and others might want to argue till the cows come home but reality is reality. We all make choices in life. Some want to live in the heart of NYC, many others are happy to be in NJ's prominent suburbia with access to two cities, others like the NJ shore town destinations and still others choose to live in Philly/PA burbs. It is what it is. That's the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 11:22 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
boringmember,

I had meant to say that your choice to give downtown a shot is understandable. The way that the city is set up, it would take you more than your preferred half-hour door-to-door commute to get to most relatively economical yet comfortable city neighborhoods and virtually all suburbs besides those in South Jersey.

To all others,

Regarding realtor recommendations, feel free to mention a general company - e.g, Allan Domb, Weichert, etc. - but please do not provide a link or contact info as that would constitute advertising.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:35 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
But that's exactly the point. R/E is all about location. Rocker and others might want to argue till the cows come home but reality is reality. We all make choices in life. Some want to live in the heart of NYC, many others are happy to be in NJ's prominent suburbia with access to two cities, others like the NJ shore town destinations and still others choose to live in Philly/PA burbs. It is what it is. That's the point.

NYC is NYC. Only residents from Tokyo would envy its stratospheric real estate prices. It's only natural that a plethora of commuter towns would develop in the top half of the state (north of Trenton, let's say) as well as businesses that needed breathing room and lower expenses that couldn't be had on Manhattan.

While I really have nothing against NJ, one common ongoing complaint I have heard about is the overall tax rate. Obviously for some such as yourself, the perceived amenities of NJ are worth it. Others' mileage often varies, taking them to PA or even DE. I would suggest to boringmember to check out the New Jersey forum to hear more views of "the good and the bad" of living in the Garden State.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:38 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,754 times
Hate to say it but the reason New Yorkers live in NJ is because it's there. An afterthought. An also ran. I knew a guy from Voorhees who went to Lancaster every chance he got - just loved it there and dreamed of living there. I always took it for granted as a place to drive by on the way to Penn State.

I'm not saying NJ doesn't have a lot to offer, but as far a living in close proximity to Philadelphia, PA has it all over NJ.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:59 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
Quote:
I'm not saying NJ doesn't have a lot to offer, but as far a living in close proximity to Philadelphia, PA has it all over NJ.
i don't know, its pretty easy to get into philly via the BF and Betsy Ross bridges. few minutes... the traffic on the BR is non-existent. coming from KOP into Philly can be a bear at times. although NJ drivers do have to pay a toll to get in.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:06 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i don't know, its pretty easy to get into philly via the BF and Betsy Ross bridges. few minutes... the traffic on the BR is non-existent. coming from KOP into Philly can be a bear at times. although NJ drivers do have to pay a toll to get in.
I was more speaking of the population density, taxes, insurance, lack of green space and 60's subdivision housing.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:12 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
oops

Old 05-01-2009, 06:30 PM

150 posts, read 351,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
boringmember,

I had meant to say that your choice to give downtown a shot is understandable. The way that the city is set up, it would take you more than your preferred half-hour door-to-door commute to get to most relatively economical yet comfortable city neighborhoods and virtually all suburbs besides those in South Jersey.
Thanks a lot. We can't be too far because of work requirements (need to be within 30 minutes as a physician on call!). Plus, when it's late at night and you're called into work, who wants to drive 45 minutes each way?

Old 05-01-2009, 06:55 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Please take his advice with a mound of salt...
Grain of salt maybe?

Old 05-01-2009, 07:07 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Hate to say it but the reason New Yorkers live in NJ is because it's there. An afterthought.
Ummmmm............. They could have just as easily chosen Long Island, Westchester, Rockland or even Southern CT. Yet many, many NY'ers decide on NJ.
Before the economic collapse, there were tours for Brooklyn residents to check out real estate in Montclair & Maplewood in Essex Co. It was packed on the weekends.
Residential & corporate space in Jersey City is in direct competition with Downtown Brooklyn.
Every high rise condo or office building constructed in JC is food taken out of BK's mouth & vice versa.
Your perception is not the reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia