Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 06:40 PM

10 posts, read 38,602 times

Advertisements

Hi - With the SEPTA strike, I am thinking I may have to walk during an upcoming visit to Philly if cabs are not available during rush hour. Does anyone know if the walk from 30th Street Station to Independence Mall is ok to walk during the daytime and approximately how long it will take (Google says it is about 2 miles). Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 07:38 PM

250 posts, read 905,561 times
I haven't walked that route exactly, but I used to walk from 30th St. Station/Drexel Univ. area to Center City, on a pleasant day.

Walking iva Chestnut St. was preferrable over walking via Market St.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:02 PM

889 posts, read 2,574,112 times
I have walked that. On weekends, but never on a weekday with lots of people on the streets and crossing the intersections. It's very straightforward and pleasant, East on JFK Blvd to City Hall, clockwise around City Hall to Market St, then east on Market St to Independence Mall. 20 minutes +/- sounds about right, at a fair pace.

Septa's regional rail has so called free transfers on Regional Rail lines between 30th St Station, Suburban Station, and Market East Station. Supposedly you're to have a valid-that-day Septa regional rail ticket for this to be free. I've never seen any conductors look for that, ever. Not sure if the checking has changed, or more likely thousands of people are taking advantage of it with the strike. It's worth a try, go to the Septa concourse in 30th Station, and jump on any east bound train, the next stop is Suburban Station, and then Market East Station. Get out at market East, and you'll have covered about 3/4 of the distance to Independence Mall. When you come out of Market East Station, you'll be on Market St, at about 10th or 11th Street.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:22 PM

463 posts, read 1,564,901 times
That part of the city has always felt very safe to me, expecially in the middle of the day. The walk isn't too bad either!

Old 11-05-2009, 02:44 AM

983 posts, read 2,773,524 times
Well, that's about 25 blocks. I am walking about 11 blocks briskly and it's taking me about 20-25 minutes, so I'd say (depending on how fast you walk) it will take you about double that or a little longer.

Walking in that direction is safe.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:36 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
It's a very pleasant walk, once you cross the river from 30th Street, the blocks go quickly as the first street on the other side is 23rd. You've still walked 7 blocks to get to that point, but psychologically it seems faster. Chestnut Street is a slight bit more pleasant than Market Street, but I'd recommend Walnut Street as a visitor. Much nicer walk and better sights. It takes you past Rittenhouse Square, through the city's nicest shopping district (versus the wig shops, etc. on Chestnut) and through the Thomas Jefferson University Medical Center complex and past Washington Square Park. Walnut Street is the southern border of Independence Mall.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:32 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,587,061 times
It's very safe. As far as jumping on a train going to Market East - the trains are going to be very crowded because of the strike.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:31 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,526 times
You can walk it - it's far but if you don't have a lot to carry it's no big deal. It's not really 24 blocks because when you leave the station you're on 29th St. and when you cross the bridge you're on 23rd St. It's more like 20 blocks. I walk fast and it would probably take me about 35 minutes to walk.

It depends on where you're going, exactly, but I would walk on Chestnut or Walnut because there's a lot more to look at. Market and JFK are wind tunnels lined with office towers. I mean, if you're headed to 5th & Walnut then obviously take Walnut but if you're going to WHYY or the Constitution Center then take Arch or Race.

But anyway - just take the regional rail from 30th St. to Market East - it's a 4 block walk to Independence Mall from there. The trains run between the Center City stations every 10 minutes or less. There are boards in the waiting area that say "Next train to Center City" and it tells you the train, track number and time. It's really easy.

The trains are extremely crowded during rush hour but as long as you're traveling off-peak it won't be that bad. Besides - it's only an 8 minute ride. It's not like standing up will kill you - especially if you were considering walking it anyway.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:23 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,679,690 times
I've done that walk before on Chestnut, Market, and JFK Blvd. It's fine during the day.

Also, usually the Regional Rail conductors don't check on those 3 stops, but I did get checked one time and had to pay $4 (vs. a token on the subway).

Old 11-10-2009, 12:55 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,816,182 times
the walk is fine at all hours though late at night I'd take market over JFK which is pretty desolate. I'd guess 40 min
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia