Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 9,851 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the Philadelphia area at the end of July. He will be going to school at Temple and I will be working in the Collegeville area. We are considering living around the Cheltenham area (Elkins Park, Jenkinstown, Glenside) as it appears to be a decent commute by train for him. My only concern is how the commute will be for me going into Collegeville. My questions are:

1) Will I be in the thick of traffic or going in the opposite direction of the traffic
2) How is the Cheltenham area? Crime, schools, etc.
3) Any suggestions on other places that may be a happy medium between Temple and Collegeville? Preferably outside of Philadelphia County.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 11:39 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
I grew up in that area (Abington). It's a generally middle-to-upper-class bedroom community of older homes. Some neighborhoods are funny around there because they can be part of two different townships. To be fair to your husband, I'd recommend anywhere in Cheltenham, Abington or Lower Moreland townships. He will be able to catch a decent train ride to the city and your commute will be reasonable (30-40 minutes for each of you.) All of the retail conveniences you could ever want thanks to the Willow Grove Mall and the various strip mall offshoots across the street in Lower Moreland as well up and down Old York Road (route 611). Crime isn't really an issue except maybe the Cheltenham Mall that borders a somewhat challenged part of Philadelphia. Schools are solid, above-average but, as mentioned in some other threads, apparently those in some of the fast-growing, far western suburbs have surged past them. Overall it's a relatively affordable and convenient suburban area that's great for families and for those whose home is their castle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgal View Post
My husband and I are moving to the Philadelphia area at the end of July. He will be going to school at Temple and I will be working in the Collegeville area. We are considering living around the Cheltenham area (Elkins Park, Jenkinstown, Glenside) as it appears to be a decent commute by train for him. My only concern is how the commute will be for me going into Collegeville. My questions are:

1) Will I be in the thick of traffic or going in the opposite direction of the traffic
2) How is the Cheltenham area? Crime, schools, etc.
3) Any suggestions on other places that may be a happy medium between Temple and Collegeville? Preferably outside of Philadelphia County.

Thanks!

Last edited by FindingZen; 06-15-2007 at 12:01 PM..

Old 06-15-2007, 03:57 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Not sure where you are coming from but this isn't your typical metro where the majority of the commuters head in one general direction for employment. This area is a quagmire where people that live in Philly commute out to Collegeville for work, people that live in Collegeville commute to work in Philly. People that live in King of Prussia work in Fort Washington and vice versa etc etc. The highways are a circus.

Collegeville to Cheltenham is not a great commute everyday. Just my personal opinion but I'm not a big fan of Cheltenham/Elkins Park area, its got some tremendous sections but overall not the best schools and may be a bit on the downward cycle.

A more happy medium would be a bit further west then Cheltenham. If I were in your shoes I'd be looking around Plymouth Meeting,Whitemarsh,Lafayete Hill, King of Prussia and Conshohocken areas.

The Main line towns R-5 towns that start with Bala on the Septa rail map would be excellent choices as well. Very nice towns.

Good luck.

SEPTA

Old 06-16-2007, 04:39 PM

80 posts, read 406,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I grew up in that area (Abington). It's a generally middle-to-upper-class bedroom community of older homes. Some neighborhoods are funny around there because they can be part of two different townships. To be fair to your husband, I'd recommend anywhere in Cheltenham, Abington or Lower Moreland townships. He will be able to catch a decent train ride to the city and your commute will be reasonable (30-40 minutes for each of you.) All of the retail conveniences you could ever want thanks to the Willow Grove Mall and the various strip mall offshoots across the street in Lower Moreland as well up and down Old York Road (route 611). Crime isn't really an issue except maybe the Cheltenham Mall that borders a somewhat challenged part of Philadelphia. Schools are solid, above-average but, as mentioned in some other threads, apparently those in some of the fast-growing, far western suburbs have surged past them. Overall it's a relatively affordable and convenient suburban area that's great for families and for those whose home is their castle.
Very nicely put I grew up near this area, and I agree

Old 06-19-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk226 View Post
Very nicely put I grew up near this area, and I agree
Great minds think alike! LOL

Old 06-19-2007, 11:28 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Like rainrock said, the commute between Cheltenham and Collegeville would be murder. You just can't get there from here.

Plymouth Meeting or Conshohocken would be good choices -- your husband can hop on the R6 train, and you can drive out U.S. 422 or Ridge Road to Collegeville, which is a straight shot and shouldn't take you more than 20 minutes. Ambler might be another idea for you; it also is on a train line, and has a repertory movie theater, shops and restaurants, etc.

Good luck!

Old 07-03-2007, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 19,341 times
Default train to wilmington

I'm relocating via new job. I would prefer living in Philly suburbs. Any suggestions which area would be best to get a Septa train to Wilmington. Each time I call, they give a different answer. I'm not thinking of moving to Delaware as I have family in Philly. Thanks

Old 07-03-2007, 02:42 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlynherb View Post
I'm relocating via new job. I would prefer living in Philly suburbs. Any suggestions which area would be best to get a Septa train to Wilmington. Each time I call, they give a different answer. I'm not thinking of moving to Delaware as I have family in Philly. Thanks

I don't know much about the area, but I know somebody who lives in Boothwyn and occasionally take the train to Wilmington. From what she says, her house sounds very nice. Perhaps somebody will have more informaton about this.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 19,341 times
Default travel from philly to wilmington

Thanks for your input. I really had Glenside and Abington in mind. Boothwyn sounds expensive. Have a good 4th!

Old 07-05-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlynherb View Post
Thanks for your input. I really had Glenside and Abington in mind. Boothwyn sounds expensive. Have a good 4th!
Actually, the R2 Regional Rail train does travel from the Abington area to Wilmington Mondays through Saturdays. However, Glenside and Abington are north of the city while Wilmington is far south. Get ready to settle in for what would be an hour and a half trip each way... with no restroom. Newmarlig had the right idea with the suggestion of Boothwyn, a town just across the border from DE. If that place is too expensive, then there are several train stops in Delaware County for you to investigate. I'm not particularly knowledgeable on any of them... with the exception that I believe you would want to avoid Chester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia