Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 09:44 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,916 times

Advertisements

No. Religion is the root of all evil. As Blaise Pascal put it: "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 05:53 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 4 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,601,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
No. Religion is the root of all evil. As Blaise Pascal put it: "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction."
Actually, it's the basebrain, reptilian distaste for anything that they find distastefully different that is the problem, and people rationalize, excuse, or justify it with the most convenient authoritative sounding source they know. Yes, it can be religion, but it can also be national security, justice for the poor and oppressed, or even science (Fascism or fascist-like beliefs often draw from Darwinian evolution as a reason to dismiss or even abuse the weak, the poor, the timid, the 'stupid', the eccentric/weird, or anything else distastefully different). It happened during the French Revolution during Committee of Public Safety's Reign of Terror 1793-94. It happened during Nazi Germany. It happened during the Russian Revolution and Stalin's time especially. Religion was definitely not the primary basis for their oppressions.

Even today, people use Darwinian Evolution to rationalize their contempt for the weak, poor, stupid, timid, or other kind of distastefully different people (i.e."the laws of nature", it's a dog eat dog world). So did the US government during the McCarthyism of the 1950s (using national security to throw unjust innuendos against certain people). Don't even bring up our human rights abuses at Abu Ghirab about 10 years ago.

People will use ANY idea they can to rationalize, excuse, or justify their oppression and abuse of others - whether it's religion, national security, economic theory, even scientific theory. No, the real problem is that people have too much faith in the basebrain reptilian side of their brain - the side the generates feelings of loathing toward those we think are somehow distasteful, not good enough, or whatever. Until we get rid of that (don't hold your breath), people will forever be abusing others - with or without religion.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:18 PM

810 posts, read 1,450,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
Because of racism, the "inferior" races of the world were largely subject to exploitation, humiliation and/or even enslavement by the "superior" and "civilized" Western nations of the world.
I think that racism is due for a resurgence. Look at Trevon, Ferguson, Obama, Holder, all reasons to reconsider the "everyone is equal" idea.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
no the new evil is------ i made a bad choice i was a troubled youth and i made a mistake and i might have over reacted or how about i came from a history of poverty and exploitation and was underpriviliged.

https://tribkcpq.files.wordpress.com...on-looting.jpg

Old 12-06-2014, 08:08 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,607,136 times
No, not at all. Racism is one of many human evils, along with greed, cruelty, fanaticism, etc. Racism can be overcome or never inculcated in many individuals, but I doubt it will ever be expunged from human culture.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:31 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
Evil depends on what law one embraces.

There are two sets of laws:
1. Law of love, and
2. Law of the jungle.
Under the law of love, harmless activity in support of one's "right to life" is moral / good. Harmful action is "bad".

Under the law of the jungle, predators are "good", and prey are "good to eat". Prey who fight back are "bad".

So when we're misled to assume that there are no value systems - it's code for PREDATORS telling their prey to stop resisting.

The question now becomes : Does your subgroup of humanity embrace and protect predators or does it abhor and punish predators?

Old 12-06-2014, 09:31 PM

198 posts, read 184,445 times
Even if there were no color difference between humans, there would still be another, different "ism" that would separate us whether it depended on class, country, wealth or lack of it, height, weight, speech etc. etc. etc. Jealousy, greed and coveting will never go away.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:57 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
Without reading every response, to the OP:

I believe religion is the root of all evil.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:10 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,551 times
^ Concur - all the more insidious.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:11 PM

732 posts, read 968,982 times
I agree with those who said selfishness is the root of all evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy