Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 06:18 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,089 times

Advertisements

It's not meaningless in the sense that people derive meaning by comparing themselves to other people. Even if hard/damaging work doesn't (almost never, actually) lead to accumulation of the ultimate measure of human worth - wealth, a hard worker imagines himself ahead of many less deserving humans, and this feeling of being above imagined others gives him a perverted sense of "meaning" and purpose even when a self-proclaimed hard worker lacks many things that makes life enjoyable and he has very little to show for the hard work. He's a chosen one unlike all those lesser being who don't understand pleasures of slaving one's life away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 08:00 AM

27,579 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke_D View Post
"Success" is 80% good luck an 20% work.
And yet, most people who are in the top 20% of income earners in the U.S. have higher educational attainment levels compared to those who are not.

Would you say that higher educational attainment levels are the result of good luck or hard work?

Old 10-25-2016, 09:24 AM

876 posts, read 1,001,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
And yet, most people who are in the top 20% of income earners in the U.S. have higher educational attainment levels compared to those who are not.

Would you say that higher educational attainment levels are the result of good luck or hard work?
Luck, because the parents pay for the education.

In Europe were the government pays for it education isn't as useful anyway because the job market just gets overflooded with educated people meaning their education isn't worth as much anyway.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:25 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Wrong. Again.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:26 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
"Success" is 80% good luck an 20% work.
The rationalization is strong in this one.

Seneca said it best. "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity." Luck is a winning PowerBall ticket. But luck doesn't apply to succeeding professionally. It's when you have accumulated the necessary skills and polish to be considered, not to mention being willing to take a calculated risk a time or two.

Success is the culmination of a million little decisions, day in and day out. Do I put in an extra hour of research? Do I reach out to this prospect with a new idea? Do I go to this networking opportunity? Do I earn my MBA or attend this seminar? Do I move to where there's opportunity? Can I improve my presentation skills? Heck, just the simple ability to stay in touch with old friends and former colleagues is important.

That being said, even if you managed to bamboozle your way into a great job through connections, family, or good old-fashioned BS, you eventually run out of road. However, if you have the skills, work ethic, and requisite savvy, then you can take an opportunity and make the most out of it.

I mean, had one huge opportunity land in my lap about six years ago. Someone I barely knew at the time reached out to me. He was a government contractor who had an urgent need to fulfill and heard I worked in this field. That part was pretty damned lucky. I'll completely admit as much.

But what happened next wasn't luck. I walked into that meeting three days later completely prepared. I had done my homework. I had assembled the team. I had pulled together timelines and budgets in a frenzy by burning a lot of midnight oil. Plus I came with a smart strategy for solving their problem.

A month later, I had one satisfied client on my hands. As a result, they handed me another huge project, then another. Every single time, I tattooed it for them. Delivered a better product for them, under budget and on time. Now, the following year, the government changed its acquisition procedures, so I didn't get the biz. But this department continues to fight to get me back into the mix. Because I served them like no one else had before or since. Just last month, I learned that they are looking to get me into the budget for this fiscal year. If it happens, great. If not, there's always next year. Because I'm not resting my entire career on these guys coming through.

What's more, because I've spent 30 years in my business carefully developing contacts and doing highly-effective work, because I've worked in an ethical manner, I accumulated a good reputation in my line of work. So all those contacts I've made over the years have resulted in good business for me, one that continues to get me referrals. I'm not a bazillionaire. But I am continuing to grow my business at a time when a lot of guys my age are being put out to pasture. You know, the ones who were content to take the easy path.

Guys like you complain about a ruthless system that doesn't care, which is completely, utterly wrong. While the system might be ruthless, it isn't indifferent. It rewards talent and effort, and it seeks out those who exhibit it. Meanwhile, it culls out the lazy, the naive, and the navel gazers.

So anybody who sits back and says that success is 80% luck has no idea what it takes to be successful in the first place. Unless you count complaining. They're awfully successful at that.

Last edited by cpg35223; 10-25-2016 at 10:08 AM..

Old 10-25-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post

In Europe were the government pays for it education isn't as useful anyway because the job market just gets overflooded with educated people meaning their education isn't worth as much anyway.
I paid for my education. Every single dime. And I walked off the stage with my diploma and without a dime in student debt. Was it easy? Heck no. I literally would walk out of class and go to my 3 pm-midnight job. Then study afterwards. But I got it through -- get this -- hard work.

As far as Europe being flooded with educated people, here's my advice to you: If it's that crowded, move. You might not be able to pull it off this year, or even next. But if you start the necessary steps today (And you actually have marketable skills. You know, the kind of skills you have to earn through, once again, hard work) there's always a corner of the world willing to pay you well.

Or do you just want to sit around and complain on a message board? Your choice. You have more control over your situation in life than you will admit. As long as you have the basic guts to do so.

Last edited by cpg35223; 10-25-2016 at 10:02 AM..

Old 10-25-2016, 11:41 AM

61 posts, read 42,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Who cares? There are lots of people with advanced degrees who are unemployed or underemployed. Education is not the end all/be all answer to everything nor does it guarantee good luck.
Of course the wealthy kids go to college. College is a good place for the wealthy to network with other wealthy people.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:53 AM

61 posts, read 42,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The rationalization is strong in this one.

Seneca said it best. "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity." Luck is a winning PowerBall ticket. But luck doesn't apply to succeeding professionally. It's when you have accumulated the necessary skills and polish to be considered, not to mention being willing to take a calculated risk a time or two.

Success is the culmination of a million little decisions, day in and day out. Do I put in an extra hour of research? Do I reach out to this prospect with a new idea? Do I go to this networking opportunity? Do I earn my MBA or attend this seminar? Do I move to where there's opportunity? Can I improve my presentation skills? Heck, just the simple ability to stay in touch with old friends and former colleagues is important.

That being said, even if you managed to bamboozle your way into a great job through connections, family, or good old-fashioned BS, you eventually run out of road. However, if you have the skills, work ethic, and requisite savvy, then you can take an opportunity and make the most out of it.

I mean, had one huge opportunity land in my lap about six years ago. Someone I barely knew at the time reached out to me. He was a government contractor who had an urgent need to fulfill and heard I worked in this field. That part was pretty damned lucky. I'll completely admit as much.

But what happened next wasn't luck. I walked into that meeting three days later completely prepared. I had done my homework. I had assembled the team. I had pulled together timelines and budgets in a frenzy by burning a lot of midnight oil. Plus I came with a smart strategy for solving their problem.

A month later, I had one satisfied client on my hands. As a result, they handed me another huge project, then another. Every single time, I tattooed it for them. Delivered a better product for them, under budget and on time. Now, the following year, the government changed its acquisition procedures, so I didn't get the biz. But this department continues to fight to get me back into the mix. Because I served them like no one else had before or since. Just last month, I learned that they are looking to get me into the budget for this fiscal year. If it happens, great. If not, there's always next year. Because I'm not resting my entire career on these guys coming through.

What's more, because I've spent 30 years in my business carefully developing contacts and doing highly-effective work, because I've worked in an ethical manner, I accumulated a good reputation in my line of work. So all those contacts I've made over the years have resulted in good business for me, one that continues to get me referrals. I'm not a bazillionaire. But I am continuing to grow my business at a time when a lot of guys my age are being put out to pasture. You know, the ones who were content to take the easy path.

Guys like you complain about a ruthless system that doesn't care, which is completely, utterly wrong. While the system might be ruthless, it isn't indifferent. It rewards talent and effort, and it seeks out those who exhibit it. Meanwhile, it culls out the lazy, the naive, and the navel gazers.

So anybody who sits back and says that success is 80% luck has no idea what it takes to be successful in the first place. Unless you count complaining. They're awfully successful at that.

Well all of that is good for you but not everyone is going to get their "big break" no matter how much they prepare. Of course the system is not totally indifferent thus I said "20% work". But you can't assume that everyone is going to get the exact some outcome for the work they put in. The world doesn't work like that. The system is not linear. It's all a gamble.

You assuming that everyone is getting opportunities like you did. Some people do not have "people they barely know" reaching out to them and propelling them forward. Some will never have that. Without that big external opportunity then the individual doesn't know what to prepare for!

This is not to say that people should do nothing but to infer that work is ALWAYS rewarded with opportunity is simply ridiculous. Some people simply will never get the lucky breaks that they need to move ahead.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Well all of that is good for you but not everyone is going to get their "big break" no matter how much they prepare. Of course the system is not totally indifferent thus I said "20% work". But you can't assume that everyone is going to get the exact some outcome for the work they put in. The world doesn't work like that. The system is not linear. It's all a gamble.

You assuming that everyone is getting opportunities like you did. Some people do not have "people they barely know" reaching out to them and propelling them forward. Some will never have that. Without that big external opportunity then the individual doesn't know what to prepare for!

This is not to say that people should do nothing but to infer that work is ALWAYS rewarded with opportunity is simply ridiculous. Some people simply will never get the lucky breaks that they need to move ahead.
You know, very few will ever get the big break. But everybody who is reasonably diligent will get the smaller break. Which leads to the larger break. Which leads to the big break.

The other half of the equation? You have to be perceptive enough to recognize opportunity when you see it. I've won accounts simply because I did my homework, drilled down, and saw something no one else did.

I've won business simply because I bothered to attend a seminar, introduce myself to the person next to me, and strike up a conversation. I didn't have a spring-loaded business card dispenser up my sleeve or anything. I just have cultivated the ability to understand the problem someone needs solving. So if you don't go to similar events in your own city, if you just walk in the door of the office at 7:59 and leave on the dot of 5:00, don't invest anything in learning new skills, don't think in broad strategic terms, don't learns to work and play well with others, and don't grow your list of contacts, then you just aren't working that hard.

Nope. The truth of the matter is, the harder you work, the luckier you get. Funny how that works.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:39 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,588 times
Quote:
It rewards talent and effort, and it seeks out those who exhibit it. Meanwhile, it culls out the lazy, the naive, and the navel gazers.

You wouldn't be saying that if you read my previous post. Where's my reward?

Unless you mean appropriate effort all your life so if you screwed up in the past you didn't put enough effort?

Quote:
I've won business simply because I bothered to attend a seminar, introduce myself to the person next to me, and strike up a conversation. I didn't have a spring-loaded business card dispenser up my sleeve or anything. I just have cultivated the ability to understand the problem someone needs solving. So if you don't go to similar events in your own city, if you just walk in the door of the office at 7:59 and leave on the dot of 5:00, don't invest anything in learning new skills, don't think in broad strategic terms, don't learns to work and play well with others, and don't grow your list of contacts, then you just aren't working that hard.
All well and fine if you're not a socially awkward person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy