Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 06:25 PM

15 posts, read 74,920 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions...

What kind of heat can be found in the Phoenix area?

Is it the dry heat, tolerable heat, or is the heat muggy and heavy?

I hear that is it dry up until the Monsoon season in July. Is this true?

I don't know how one can deal with 110 degree temperatures and humidity...

It's a recipe for death.

Also -- I would like to add that over here in NYC it got to 86 Degrees the other week, and the humidity was low; around 20-30%. I actually felt comfortable. I wasn't sweating too much, and I enjoyed it.
But, if it's 75 degrees with 70-100% humidity, I feel miserable.

Would I be able to survive a summer in Phoenix?

Haha, just looking to be enlightened. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 06:52 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,650,869 times
What kind of heat can be found in the Phoenix area?

Winter - high 50's-80, depends. Our average winter weather fluctuates anywhere within that range. Could be 56 one day - then 68 - then 80 and back down to 55 the next! The winter weather seems to get more up-down-up-down with each year that passes by. Summer, well, I've been here a long time - average is 110-115 in the summer - it has gone up to 122-123, not often, but it sure can sneak up on you. Bank on 110-118 for July/August

Is it the dry heat, tolerable heat, or is the heat muggy and heavy?

When it is 5-15% you know it. It's great. When it is 25-30%+ you feel it and will whine like you have never been in 70%+ after being spoiled from our low humidity. You get spoiled fast.

I hear that is it dry up until the Monsoon season in July. Is this true?

The start of our monsoon season begins when our dewpoint temp averages 55 or higher three days in a row taken from Sky Harbor Airport. Any day that our dewpoint is 55+ is considered a monsoon day. Our monsoon season typically runs from July-Sept, but not every single day is humid - you still have plenty of "dry heat days."

I don't know how one can deal with 110 degree temperatures and humidity...
It's a recipe for death.

I'm still alive and kicking!

Would I be able to survive a summer in Phoenix?

Some can handle it - some can't. I do not know you and what you are able to tolerate. Why not come to Phoenix in July and August to check it out? Best way to know!

Keep yourself hydrated - do what a lot of us do - freeze your water bottles and carry it around with you when you are out and about, giving you nice ice cold water as it slowly melts throughout the day to sip on. Other than that - it is all about common sense. Do not go out running after 10am in the summer until night fall. Our ray index here will blast fair skin, you can go from zero to lobster in 20 minutes or LESS w/o any protection. Ohhhh and what the sun/heat can do to your car tires and your car battery out here - and can do to your dashboard and paint if you do not protect it. . Ever try to drive with a steering wheel that's been sitting in 115 degree heat - with sun on it to boot? Ouch!!! You may want to reconsider your leather seats or keep the seats covered to protect your gooloo when wearing shorts . Auto-start is popular out here to get that AC running before you get in the car. Not trying to scare you - it's the realities of living in Phoenix. Seriously, humidity will be one of your last concerns.

It's all about common sense and precaution.

Last edited by JeepGirl118; 05-24-2007 at 07:33 PM..

Old 05-24-2007, 07:25 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
The air feels HOT. It's just not the same as in the humid regions. The heat index is totally bogus in my opinion. Long time AZ people can not stand Florida/Texas/Louisiana heat. We instantly sense and are just miserable in humidity higher than maybe 30%. Almost everyone can tolerate the desert heat, but whether you want to is another matter. Actually, it's the AC that makes it so bad. You venture out of the cool house or work and bam! If you are out in it all day, it is not as bad - I know from my days working construction. You sweat but you never feel wet. When I built houses I would drink 2+ gallons of water a day and never even go to the bathroom.

I think the worst part is it just goes on and on. From now until October, it will be hot every day. Nights will be nice until July 4th or so when monsoon shows up. It gets very old, but so does a Michigan winter. And by Thanksgiving Day, you have forgotten all about it.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:56 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,575 times
The rest of the year is good weather. The heat isn't muggy like back east. Even when monsoon season comes, it comes with wind! I don't think the humidity is ever that bad. I think the heat unites us.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:07 PM

63 posts, read 327,922 times
To give you an example of what the heat is like in the summer. . . go to your kitchen, turn the oven on at say about 475 or so. . . wait for it to heat up. . . them open the door of the oven and put your face close to it. This is how the heat was decribed to me before I relocated here. I spent two summers in PHX then relocated up to Prescott Valley. A bit cooler up here.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:31 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,965 times
I'd take the 110 degrees every day here over the 86 degrees with 70% humidity you get almost every day in the mid-Atlantic region. The heat here is bad - I won't argue that - but the humidity back east is horrendous, stifling and feels like you're drowning in a murky swamp.

I think the difference is this: here, you can sit in the shade with a cool glass of water and feel pretty fine, even when it's 105 outside. Back east, when it's 86 degrees with humidity, even sitting in the shade is miserable and your glass slips out of your hand b/c the condensation doesn't evaporate off b/c the air has just as much water in it as your glass. Blech!!!

I agree with Ponderosa in that the hardest thing is just that it goes on for so long. Although this month has been surprisingly cool...seems like it was hotter last May. Maybe we'll only get 4 months of 100+ degree weather this year

Old 05-25-2007, 12:11 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,614 times
The heat is terrible in Phoenix. Not the worst part about the place, but still terrible. The sticking your face in an oven is a perfect example of how the heat in Phoenix feels. It's just an oppressive, constant, heat. Horrible.

Take it from someone who moved to Phoenix from the northeast and then moved back, Phoenix is hot and much worse than anything back east.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:13 AM
ejk

126 posts, read 594,584 times
The heat does not bother me all that much. I'll take insanely hot & dry over sort of hot & humid any day. I keep a spray bottle in my purse as my own personal mister and that makes a big difference. Yes it is hot, yes it gets miserable, but it is bearable, especially when Feb rolls around and we are grilling on the back porch.

My husband works outside and Ponderosa hit it right on the head. All that water comes out the pores!

When they tell you the monsoon is humid, it is, but it's probably not as humid as you may be thinking. To me, it just feels like a really bad Chicago August. A 55-60 degree dew point at 110 degree heat feels about the same to me as a 75 degree dew point on an 80-90 degree day. But I am sure there are others who will disagree

Old 05-25-2007, 10:35 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Loved the "oven" description. We will take the heat over ice and snow and constant rain any day of the year.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:43 PM

15 posts, read 74,920 times
Very interesting, infortmative replies. Thanks everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Warner View Post
Loved the "oven" description. We will take the heat over ice and snow and constant rain any day of the year.
Cold is awesome. Because when it's cold, you can always put something on and feel warmer.

When its hot, you could be butt-naked and you'll still be hot! Not to mention, get burned pretty bad.

Rain is also good, because it keeps everything green and lush.

Ice sucks. Yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area