Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:19 AM

113 posts, read 524,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehi View Post
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Phoenix has it's downfalls to be sure but isn't there ever an end to the beating of dead horses? No offense to anybody but sheesh! {off to check the calendar to see why this is suddenly so annoying}

Couldnt have said it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 08:13 PM

226 posts, read 999,744 times
Iv lived in Phoenix for 21 years. Iv seen it all. My husband retires in 3 years and were out of here..... I don't feel safe leaving my house after dark, I feel like I need to learn spanish, and the cost of living is killing me.

The hot weather didn't bother me the first 10 years, but every summer just about does me in.

Good luck to those moving here.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:32 AM

68 posts, read 224,569 times
oh my gosh.! I started my own thread "Moving to Phoenix area from UT", and to read this thread, I WOULD run to the hills...the hills of Canada.! I do believe that you make your own world go 'round, no matter where you are. We've all seen the emails going around about the soldiers living in dirt bunkers, eating MRE's, but yet, making the most out of it. That's the only attitude to have. A home is what's inside, and that's your family. I have no qualms about moving from Utah to Arizona. Sure, my environment might change, but I won't.
It's funny hearing about the "high crime". Well....HELLO...there is a HUGE population in the Phoenix area...there IS going to be crime.! It comes with the numbers. Utah of course is known as the Mormon state, but I can tell you there are plenty of places in and around Salt Lake City that I would NEVER venture in after dark, but yet, I would walk around downtown SLC with no problem. I would imagine it's the same everywhere else, you just have learn the territory. That's what these forums are for. I have found the postings to be VERY informative. And the comment about making life altering decisions after reading these posts...OF COURSE WE DO.! We know nothing about the area, that's WHY we are posting.! The comments are invaluable.! So, as to the original question of the poster, I of course have nothing to comment on, because I'm a total stranger to the area, but I would hope that the rest of the posters would leave their comments strictly to her questions, and be informative.
Just my two cents.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:22 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinFromUT View Post
oh my gosh.! I started my own thread "Moving to Phoenix area from UT", and to read this thread, I WOULD run to the hills...the hills of Canada.! I do believe that you make your own world go 'round, no matter where you are. We've all seen the emails going around about the soldiers living in dirt bunkers, eating MRE's, but yet, making the most out of it. That's the only attitude to have. A home is what's inside, and that's your family. I have no qualms about moving from Utah to Arizona. Sure, my environment might change, but I won't.
It's funny hearing about the "high crime". Well....HELLO...there is a HUGE population in the Phoenix area...there IS going to be crime.! It comes with the numbers. Utah of course is known as the Mormon state, but I can tell you there are plenty of places in and around Salt Lake City that I would NEVER venture in after dark, but yet, I would walk around downtown SLC with no problem. I would imagine it's the same everywhere else, you just have learn the territory. That's what these forums are for. I have found the postings to be VERY informative. And the comment about making life altering decisions after reading these posts...OF COURSE WE DO.! We know nothing about the area, that's WHY we are posting.! The comments are invaluable.! So, as to the original question of the poster, I of course have nothing to comment on, because I'm a total stranger to the area, but I would hope that the rest of the posters would leave their comments strictly to her questions, and be informative.
Just my two cents.

I do believe it is what you make of it and the attitude you come with. Phoenix is not for everyone, I have been here a long time and I have really enjoyed it. I do know many who have never liked it and haven't stayed long. I am not into urban culture or any of that stuff. I am into hot weather and swimming so it suits me fine. I am however headed to NC in a few months, my husband has not been a Phoenix fan he likes green and doesn't care much for the desert and he finally got me to consider moving, so off we go and I;m excited about the new adventure. I'm sure you will like it here, just remember it gets hot here.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:27 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
I am originally from oregon, so I know about shock of change, I havent been here long, but so far we love it, it is what you make it, you can focus only on the negative or you can find all the positive about this place and enjoy it, I personally will focus on the good as I dontwant to be miserable as some here do. It is the desert so yes it gets hot, but so far the nights are great and I here fall winter and spring are awesome, there is night life here just maybe not the Urban downtown of DC ( I have been there so I know) my son is in college at Collins College in Tempe and he says it is really happening there. I am sure you will meet lots of people and have a great time, just think positive.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:49 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I am originally from oregon, so I know about shock of change, I havent been here long, but so far we love it, it is what you make it, you can focus only on the negative or you can find all the positive about this place and enjoy it, I personally will focus on the good as I dontwant to be miserable as some here do. It is the desert so yes it gets hot, but so far the nights are great and I here fall winter and spring are awesome, there is night life here just maybe not the Urban downtown of DC ( I have been there so I know) my son is in college at Collins College in Tempe and he says it is really happening there. I am sure you will meet lots of people and have a great time, just think positive.

Fall and Spring not as nice as the Winters. It seems Summer goes right into Fall here and Spring into Summer. The Winters are gorgeous though. It gets a little too chilly for me at night though in the Winter

Tempe is a happening place for younger people, my son 19 is living down there by ASU and he said it's party city. Just what I want to hear from him

Old 03-23-2007, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,610 times
Default I agree! Don't move to Phoenix

Nikki-
I have to agree with the last blog. I moved from DC to Phoenix 3 years ago, and am counting down until I can leave this place! There are so many problems with this place, and I don't even know where to begin. The heat is the least of the problems here.
To begin with , there is just nothing to do here. There is no culture or nightlife. More importantly, the people here are content with that. It is the "simple life". In my opinion, the boring life! More importantly, I education isn't emphasized here like it is on the east coast. It's hards to have an intellectual converstion with most of the people I have met. Many people I have met have barely even left the area. They have no idea what the rest of the world, let alone country is like!
As for transportation, there isn't anything even close to the DC Metro here. Plan on driving everywhere, and I mean a LOT of driving. The "city" is so spread out, that some areas are more than an hour drive apart.
As for the downtown, it's non-existant. There are a handful of office buildings, and that is it. Good luck finding a restaurant downtown that is even open. The big thing here is that people say that "one day" there will be a big city and public transportation..... but realistically that is a LONG way off. Maybe when we are 100 we can take the public transportation downtown to go out and enjoy some cultural nightlife downtown. Until then..... stay in DC! Or, at least go back there right after grad school!
I won't even talk about the rednecks...... just watch Jerry Springer and you can get an idea of what a lot of people here are like. If you like motorcycles and quadding you might like it here. If not, go back east as soon as you can
-stuck in AZ

I was in your exact situation about a year ago (and I mean almost exact). I had lived in Washington for about 5 years and moved here to Arizona to go to grad school at ASU. I thought it would be a good change, it was sunny, and the program was pretty highly ranked for what I am interested in. Also, I had heard that it was easy to get in-state tuition from ASU as long as you stayed here a year.

After being here a year I can tell you I can’t wait to leave. I do not like it here at all. Some people obviously like it, but it is not my kinda place. I miss living in a city (this place is not a city) and I miss being able to walk to my local deli, coffee house, pub, etc. That feeling is almost non-existent here. This place is basically a giant sprawling suburb and knowing some people in real estate here, that is not going to change anytime soon.

Also, the weather this summer has killed me. It is hot and don’t believe all this “dry heat” nonsense. When it is 115 outside, it is miserable. Now, D.C. could get nasty during August, but the difference here is that it is constant. At least in Washington the heat seemed to come in spurts; here it is just constantly hot (over 100). That being said, the winter is nice here, but I miss the fall and spring in Washington. You don’t get that here at all.

Finally, and I hope this doesn’t sound too snotty, but the people here are just different. My peer group in Washington were all educated, driven professionals that had a worldly view. Here, people are just more “content” with things. That is something I am not used to. Also, some of the things people find “cool” here are just comical. I have never seen so many meatheads wearing wife beater undershirts cruising around in their crotch rocket motorcycles. It reminds me of something straight out of New Jersey.

Look, it is not all bad and I hate to sound so negative, but I just thought I would throw it out there. Since you are from Washington, unless you like Fairfax or Loudon County you probably are not going to like it here. But, if you’re set on it here, I would suggest Mill Avenue or Old Town Scottsdale. I live close to Mill and it is okay, but it’s about ¼ the size of Adams Morgan and a lot less fun. Anyway, I’m happy to help you out or answer any questions you got. One more thing, it’s a lot harder to get in-state tuition then they make it out to be![/quote]

Old 03-23-2007, 08:51 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bms View Post
I just can't stand these East Coast elitists who move West and then complain about how it isn't the East Coast. Really?? I am not saying Phoenix is perfect, but if I have to hear one more jerk from the NY or DC cry about not being able to walk and get a bagel, I am going to scream. I was able to walk and get a bagel AND coffee no problem when I lived there.

I no longer live in Arizona, but I live in a closeby state and have family there. The same East Coast jerks complain about it here too. They complain that the East Coast is too crowded, but then move here and tell us the mountains are great but we don't have enough "culture." I would love to know exactly what "culture" is. As far as I can tell it has a lot to do with bagels and pizza.
I have to agree with this. Plus, it's just so darn funny!!!

It does seem that people come here and need to change things because it's not what they are used to. Tough cookies, I say. It's not going to be the same, if this country was all the same it would be boring!

My bf works in retail and it's so funny (and annoying) that so many people come in (with an attitude usually, north scottsdale) and say, "I'm not from here." They think that we need to drop to our knees and welcome them here. If I were him I'd tell them, first of all, no one is from here, and secondly, I don't care, we don't need more people here, go home. I know, I wouldn't last long in his position.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:13 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bms View Post
I would love to know exactly what "culture" is. As far as I can tell it has a lot to do with bagels and pizza.
Great line. It is interesting how those who complain loudly about a lack of culture in Phoenix seldom name specific institutions. In other words, if they told me why they think that the Phoenix Art Museum, Heard Museum, Arizona Theater Company, Ballet Arizona, Actor's Theater of Phoenix, etc. are not sufficiently cultural, I might take the argument seriously. So often, however, the "no culture" complaint seems just a generic rant by those who are disappointed that Phoenix does not sufficiently mimic their cities of origin.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:29 AM

132 posts, read 517,206 times
Ok here we go agian!! ok, I am just going to ignore all of the Phoenix bashing on this thread, I have defended this city many times on other threads. I just want to help out this time.

If your going to ASU, you will have no problem meeting people or finding out whats going on. ASU students are some of the few who actually know whats going on in this city!! I would suggest living in Tempe so you don't have to commute to school. As of now the public transportation in Phoenix is just the bus system but the light rail will be up and running in less than 2 years so we have that to look foward to.

If your looking for a "scene" I would suggest just heading down to downtown Phoenix on the first friday evening of the month. Tons of people head out for the Art Walk and its a great place to learn about the arts and culture of Phoenix, its also a great place to meet people. Its really turning into a "see and be seen" event.

Good Luck! and don't worry about all the negativity on this site, the growth and population of this city speak for itself, obviously the majority of the people here like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area