Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:08 PM

568 posts, read 1,206,499 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's because I just discovered that someone stole my lawn mower (and some of you may recall I also had my house broken into last spring, so I'm either a moron, unlucky, or some combination of the two), but I am curious about buying and owning a gun in Arizona.

In my fantasy thinking, I imagine myself putting a decoy outside on my back porch, like maybe a nice fancy sit-down mower, so the crook will be enticed to try to snatch it. Then, once I see the crook trying to steal it, I could shoot him in the foot or arm, and then call the ambulance because I'm a nice person, and don't really want to kill anyone, even if it is a irredeemable meth-head. But then I'd probably get sued by the thief for damaging his/her ability to 'make a living', right?! Oh well.

Seriously though, I've considered getting a gun in case there's an intruder. I think if my life were in serious danger, I could shoot...and while aiming for the leg or arm, if it was God's will for that bullet to go into the thief's heart instead, then who am I to argue with God's plan?!! Since I've never owned a gun, I reckon I'd need to take shooting lessons. But do any of you own guns and have any sort of experience or advice related to guns you'd like to share? I'm just curious.

PS. I had my mower locked up but they still stole it. So what am I supposed to do, keep it in my house?! (they've already broken into that, too). But I refuse to have someone else mow my lawn when I am able-bodied...plus, I enjoy it! Anyhow, I didn't realize there's such a hot market for lawn mowers in Phoenix of all places! Geez! Live and learn! Is there nothing one can leave outdoors without fear of it getting stolen?! (BBQ, Patio Furniture, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 03:16 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
I feel your pain. When I first moved to Phoenix, I was mowing my lawn and went in the house to get some water. When I came back the mower was gone - right in the middle of my strip!

Unless you are prepared to shoot to kill, you might skip the gun. Wounded intruders are like wounded bears. It is not a deterrent once someone is in the house. It has only one purpose then and that is to save your life.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:23 PM

15 posts, read 40,762 times
Gun laws in Arizona won't protect you from property theft. If you shoot someone to prevent a theft,you'll be the one in the sqaud car going to jail. Ponderosa has the correct thinking on the matter.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:31 PM

674 posts, read 2,553,531 times
Get a dog.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:34 PM

Agreed! Safer for the owner. Guns ownership is a big responsiblity, and really doesn't help you of you not one to get your CCW, and carry it all the time.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:47 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,966 times
I would take some gun safety classes before using a gun for self defense. There are plenty of shooting clubs in the area to help you get started.

Handguns are easy to shoot but hard to aim unless you practice. There are some self defense shotguns that make hitting a target easier but again some training and practice are called for first.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:54 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,393,109 times
I agree with AzDreamer in regards to gun safety classes. Also, having a gun in your home does nothing to protect your home if you're not there to use it. Make sure any gun you purchase is locked in a safe or is otherwise secured away from potential thieves. You'd rather lose a TV to a burglar than a gun that is registered to you.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:57 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
English Mastiffs are pretty good deterants.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:00 PM

155 posts, read 478,006 times
I'd get the gun and take lessons and aim for the center mass of the perp. Once you shoot, keep shooting until they are on the ground. That's what they teach our enforcement officers. Our emergency rooms can worry about putting humpty dumpty back together again and most important, you'll be alive.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:18 PM

While getting a gun is always a good thing for a homeowner. I'd reseach the standing laws in our state. I learn a lot from my CCW class before purchasing a gun to determine if a gun would fit me needs. Shooting someone to "protect personal property" will land you in prison is the one thing that was hammered into us in the class. The laws are for personal protection only. "Fear of you life being taken" is the key phrase. If the incident doesn't cut the mustard. Your going to prison.

Last edited by FireRx; 08-31-2010 at 04:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area