Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 09:47 PM

8 posts, read 23,978 times

Advertisements

Is central Tempe a good place for young thinking woman in late 30's w/2 dogs to settle? Someone said it was cool and artsy and is less expensive than Scottsdale. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 10:13 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanh View Post
Is central Tempe a good place for young thinking woman in late 30's w/2 dogs to settle? Someone said it was cool and artsy and is less expensive than Scottsdale. Any thoughts?
I like Tempe. It's one of the more attractive communities in the Phoenix Metro Area. Still, it's changing and becoming more upscale in the Downtown area. The new high-rise condos under construction are about as pricey as Scottsdale. Apartments are more reasonable, but be careful not to end up in a student slum. Renting a condo might be a better option if it is not feasible to buy right away.

As for coolness and artsiness -- sort of. DT Tempe used to have more of a college town feel. It's become hot real estate lately with lots of professionals moving in. That has changed the feel. New construction in Tempe includes high-rise condos, upscale restaurants, a Whole Foods grocery, etc. What has been lost are many of the venues for live music and independent stores. Many of those have fled to more affordable space in the southern, more suburban part of Tempe.

If you're looking for cool and artsy, you might want to consider the north end of Downtown Phoenix, especially the Roosevelt and Evans-Churchill neighborhoods. Those are really taking off with new apartments, condos, indy restaurants, and galleries.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:04 PM

121 posts, read 546,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post

If you're looking for cool and artsy, you might want to consider the north end of Downtown Phoenix, especially the Roosevelt and Evans-Churchill neighborhoods. Those are really taking off with new apartments, condos, indy restaurants, and galleries.
I agree. The northern section of Phoenix (downtown) is a really unique place that has a mix of older and newer construction. Downtown Phoenix kind of has a huge "Under Construction...Come back in 2 years" sign on her right now, but once light rail starts up and all the streets are fixed from this disruption, the area will blossom. I can see downtown Phoenix really becoming a destination.

FYI, I currently live in Tempe and agree with the earlier points. It is a "happening" place but more of a niche market.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:15 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre5140 View Post
I agree. The northern section of Phoenix (downtown) is a really unique place that has a mix of older and newer construction. Downtown Phoenix kind of has a huge "Under Construction...Come back in 2 years" sign on her right now, but once light rail starts up and all the streets are fixed from this disruption, the area will blossom. I can see downtown Phoenix really becoming a destination.

FYI, I currently live in Tempe and agree with the earlier points. It is a "happening" place but more of a niche market.
I agree, I think downtown phx will be a great place to go in the future. I can't wait.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:28 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,295 times
Quote:
I used to live in Tempe when I first moved to Arizona in Nov. of 2001. I love Tempe!! They have some of the best diners, restuarants, bars, clubs, pool halls, etc. I used to live on Lemon St. between University and Apache Blvd. There were about 5 bars/nightclubs in that area and I used to just walk to them and party over the weekend. It was great!! Great apartments too. I used to live in the La Crescenta Apartments there. It was great living in Tempe. I miss it very much. ACME Roadhouse was one of my favorite hangout spots (just 1 block from where I lived). Great for single people to live at.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:40 PM

44 posts, read 161,351 times
Are there good areas there to live where places like Whole Foods would be in walking/bicycle distance? My fiance and I are looking for an urban/New York type feel where we can walk to some neat places and don't have to always drive everywhere.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:52 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesun View Post
Are there good areas there to live where places like Whole Foods would be in walking/bicycle distance? My fiance and I are looking for an urban/New York type feel where we can walk to some neat places and don't have to always drive everywhere.
Have you tried the Mill Avenue area?? There's alot over there and looks like New York in a way. I don't know. You'll just have to explore for yourself.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:58 PM

44 posts, read 161,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
You'll just have to explore for yourself.
We're not moving out there until next summer (great time huh?) but are taking a trip out in a few months to start exploring. My fiance wants to go to ASU to finish his degree and I'll be looking for a job in a law firm so we thought this would be a good area.

The Phoenix area is so big it's nice to have some input from locals to narrow our search-this is a great forum.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:02 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesun View Post
Not yet, but things are changing a bit. Whole Foods will open in a year or so in Downtown Tempe within walking distance of various apartment and condomimium buildings. Likewise, an AJ's (upscale local grocer) will open in Downtown Phoenix in a year or so. At the end of 2008, light rail service will connect the downtowns of the two cities.

Still, it will be necessary to own at least one car. Improved transit and downtown revitalization will increase walkability, but most of the area is still designed for the car and being totally carless would be a lonely, unhappy existence.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:10 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Late 30's in Tempe, there's a bunch of college kids there. You'd be better off moving to the Biltmore area or Scottsdale. I wouldn't live alone anywhere downtown either. It's not that kind of a place yet. Maybe in the future. Cool and artsy in Phoenix?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area