Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 05:08 PM

99 posts, read 148,795 times

Advertisements

At the risk of once again upsetting those who don't like Phoenix, our first month in Phoenix (the link to our first week is http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...k-phoenix.html)

Same as our one week update plus...

* Great concerts at good prices
* Wonderful parks and historical spots
* Heat (okay it has been a bit too much at times we admit!)
* Shopping, the variety and prices - love the outlets!
* Sitting by the pool on a hot afternoon
* Carefree and Cave Creek (wish we could afford a home there!)
* Farmers markets - first ones this last week were great (love fresh produce)

Dislikes:

* Driving (again) have put on 5 times as much mileage as a normal month at home
* One fast food place at a mall (we know this is risky) that served us 'Cajun' chinese food!
* Drug costs - wife had to get eyedrops for an inflammed eye - almost 10 times the cost of the same prescription in Canada ($ 19 CA vs $ 128 US)
* A few sellers real estate agents that aren't entirely upfront (guess that's the same as home)

Challenges:

* We have almost decided to focus on northwest Peoria and Glendale, because we like the proximity to shopping etc, but so many other great communities!
* Trying to do things outside when it's over 100 (other than sitting by the community pool)

Comments:

* Still stand by earlier comments that Phoenicians should be proud of this city, we love it here.
* We are really impressed with the variety, quality of food and service at Phoenix and area restaurants - and we haven't been eating at expensive places!
* Been to the most enjoyable concerts in several years (only comparisons were NYC and London)

Thanks for making our first 30 days so enjoyable - we really look forward to the next 151!

SeaG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 03:23 PM

81 posts, read 230,571 times
Glad you like it.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:41 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
I agree with the driving! We've lived here for a couple of years now and until we moved here, my car was always under the 15K/year average. Now I have to get an oil change every couple of months! Based on your prescription drug comment, I take it you are Canadian so I also wanted to add that the rest of your dislikes is not just Phoenix-specific. Glad you are enjoying Phoenix!

Old 10-04-2010, 08:28 PM

Default Another Canuck, for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I agree with the driving! We've lived here for a couple of years now and until we moved here, my car was always under the 15K/year average. Now I have to get an oil change every couple of months! Based on your prescription drug comment, I take it you are Canadian so I also wanted to add that the rest of your dislikes is not just Phoenix-specific. Glad you are enjoying Phoenix!
The driving doesn't really bother me, but I would feel differently if this was a daily commute (it doesn't help being up in Anthem).

We averaged 6000 miles a year on our car until now - mainly because we could walk or cycle almost everywhere from our other home in Victoria BC.

And correct, my other dislike comments aren't limited to Phoenix alone.

SeaG

Old 10-04-2010, 09:17 PM

175 posts, read 464,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaG View Post
The driving doesn't really bother me, but I would feel differently if this was a daily commute (it doesn't help being up in Anthem).

We averaged 6000 miles a year on our car until now - mainly because we could walk or cycle almost everywhere from our other home in Victoria BC.

And correct, my other dislike comments aren't limited to Phoenix alone.

SeaG
Can I buy your home in Victoria? Been there three times now visiting my sister and I just love Vancouver Island. You are very fortunate to be able to escape the heat here and return to the cool temperate zone of the northwest.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:50 AM

Default Price shock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchtime View Post
Can I buy your home in Victoria? Been there three times now visiting my sister and I just love Vancouver Island. You are very fortunate to be able to escape the heat here and return to the cool temperate zone of the northwest.
We plan to sell when we return in March, 2011 and downsize back to the Okanagan to be closer to friends and family.

Even though there is a real estate 'correction' starting in several Canadian cities - the current prices may shock you.

Our home is almost 2000 sq ft, 4 bedrooms (one is office), 2 baths, family room, 1 car garage - built in 1957 and major renovations in 2001.

It would likely sell currently (are you sitting) for over $ 485,000 US!

It may be down to around $ 450,000 US by March.

Can't sell it before March because we are currently doing a home exchange, the owners of the home we are in here won't be out until the end of Feb, 2011.

SeaG

Old 10-17-2010, 09:00 PM

278 posts, read 622,796 times
What a great post!!! Thanks so much for doing this. We expect to be in Phoenix by AT LEAST Christmas... so this is informative..especially the concerts.

Quote:
At the risk of once again upsetting those who don't like Phoenix, our first month in Phoenix (the link to our first week is http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...k-phoenix.html)

Same as our one week update plus...

* Great concerts at good prices
* Wonderful parks and historical spots
* Heat (okay it has been a bit too much at times we admit!)
* Shopping, the variety and prices - love the outlets!
* Sitting by the pool on a hot afternoon
* Carefree and Cave Creek (wish we could afford a home there!)
* Farmers markets - first ones this last week were great (love fresh produce)

Dislikes:

* Driving (again) have put on 5 times as much mileage as a normal month at home
* One fast food place at a mall (we know this is risky) that served us 'Cajun' chinese food!
* Drug costs - wife had to get eyedrops for an inflammed eye - almost 10 times the cost of the same prescription in Canada ($ 19 CA vs $ 128 US)
* A few sellers real estate agents that aren't entirely upfront (guess that's the same as home)

Challenges:

* We have almost decided to focus on northwest Peoria and Glendale, because we like the proximity to shopping etc, but so many other great communities!
* Trying to do things outside when it's over 100 (other than sitting by the community pool)

Comments:

* Still stand by earlier comments that Phoenicians should be proud of this city, we love it here.
* We are really impressed with the variety, quality of food and service at Phoenix and area restaurants - and we haven't been eating at expensive places!
* Been to the most enjoyable concerts in several years (only comparisons were NYC and London)

Thanks for making our first 30 days so enjoyable - we really look forward to the next 151!

SeaG

Old 10-17-2010, 09:11 PM

Default You will enjoy it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie7 View Post
What a great post!!! Thanks so much for doing this. We expect to be in Phoenix by AT LEAST Christmas... so this is informative..especially the concerts.
One of the challenges I didn't mention is there is so much happening here it is hard to get to everything we want. And lot's of free or inexpensive events (just the cost of gas to get there).

Yesterday a wonderful native (first nations) market at the Pueblo Grande museum near the airport. It was great to learn more about their culture, history and art.

I will answer any questions you have the best I can, feel free to PM me.

SeaG

Old 10-17-2010, 11:11 PM

932 posts, read 1,963,317 times
Quote:
One of the challenges I didn't mention is there is so much happening here it is hard to get to everything we want. And lot's of free or inexpensive events (just the cost of gas to get there).

Yesterday a wonderful native (first nations) market at the Pueblo Grande museum near the airport. It was great to learn more about their culture, history and art.

SeaG
This post is so true too. So much goes on in this city that it's hard to make the events you want when they're on opposite sides of town.
Also that Pueblo Grande museum is a great museum too. I went there when I was in elementary school for a field trip, this site dates back 1,000 years before Pumpkinvillle (Phoenix) was even thought of. Interesting historical and archeological site in the center of the city.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:36 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,288 times
Quote:

SeaG

I am just curious as to why you left Canada, and why Phoenix?
I'm glad your liking it here by the way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area