Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The reasons you want to leave Phoenix
Lack of employment opportunities/low paying jobs 52 39.69%
Family/friends/moving to be with/getting away from 15 11.45%
Lack of entertainment/culture/walkability/bored 42 32.06%
Suburbia/stucco/track housing 32 24.43%
Esthetics/sick of the desert/brown/climate 56 42.75%
Politics 32 24.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 07:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times

Advertisements

One negative that just turned positive is that AZ seems to have reopened some of the closed rest areas on I-10, I just hope they don't close 'em all again since they reduce driver fatigue, cars pulled over on the side of the road to water a cactus etc thereby reducing accidents.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:39 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
Sorta OT, but how are you liking Sierra Vista? Less hot/crowded than Phoenix I'm guessing?
The weather is wonderful, and there is no traffic, however it is the end of the supply chain. There are things you can't get here and I sometimes have to drive 60 miles to Tucson (once a month) for any selection. I find myself not traveling because it's nicer here than anywhere I was going.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:47 PM

660 posts, read 1,398,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The weather is wonderful, and there is no traffic, however it is the end of the supply chain. There are things you can't get here and I sometimes have to drive 60 miles to Tucson (once a month) for any selection. I find myself not traveling because it's nicer here than anywhere I was going.
Thanks for that info. I'm trying to help a relative of mine find a place to retire to and Sierra Vista was on the short list based on all the good things about it. Maybe ordering off the Internet can help?

Old 11-02-2010, 10:31 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,177,989 times
I think the Suburbia reason is stupid as hell! Those type of people that don't like that come off as snobby to me. As long as I can live comfortably, I don't care if it's "suburbia".

Old 11-02-2010, 10:21 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,702,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
Thanks for that info. I'm trying to help a relative of mine find a place to retire to and Sierra Vista was on the short list based on all the good things about it. Maybe ordering off the Internet can help?
I have mixed feelings about Sierra Vista. It seems to have a large military and surprisingly German population. The only time I went there was the "art in the park" day and the vendor we were helping couldn't quite understand which direction is which. I don't know... it reminds me of Tucson, but better developed and planned. I recommended it to a couple people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
One negative that just turned positive is that AZ seems to have reopened some of the closed rest areas on I-10, I just hope they don't close 'em all again since they reduce driver fatigue, cars pulled over on the side of the road to water a cactus etc thereby reducing accidents.
Really? people stop on the side of the road to water a cactus...? Speaking of rest stops, anyone that drives up to Payson, notice the road construction on the way up and the giant hill side that is now dead because of it? Hill side being dead.... aka all the vegetation is cut off from its water supply and now is all dead. Bushes, cactus, grass. all dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
I think the Suburbia reason is stupid as hell! Those type of people that don't like that come off as snobby to me. As long as I can live comfortably, I don't care if it's "suburbia".
Why would you think that? The suburbia problem is what caused the mess in Phoenix to begin with. And why would you like such a thing? Lets go drive here and drive there, can never really bicycle or walk anywhere. It's not like California suburbia, its a nightmare. It's miles upon miles to get anywhere.

The price of the dollar is not improving and $3...$4...$5... a gallon isn't going to be fun when it switches to... $3...$4... $5... a LITER!

Last edited by shiphead; 11-02-2010 at 10:36 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 11:44 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,084,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post

This can't really be the reason you "want to leave Phoenix"?
If you like suburbia then you must love it here, why the post? Can't you read?

Old 11-02-2010, 11:52 PM

Well, the majority has spoken tonight, I'll just add that to the poll. ha ha ha

Old 11-02-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I think my son has watered that cactus as well.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:46 AM

523 posts, read 937,768 times
ladysovereign,

"I don't get why people who disagree with an issue (i.e. dissatisfaction with Phoenix Life) have to "silence" others. How will those who want to learn about an area know to make a proper decision when all they get to read is the good points?

I have seen bad points posted about other places on C-D and sometimes those complaints end up being a positive for me when someone else claims to have found them unbearable!"

I understand what you mean, and it is important for people to consider everything, good and bad in making any decision in life.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:01 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,743,500 times
I became disabled here in Phoenix due to cancer 3 yrs ago.
I have to get AHCCCS medical.

I recently made another resume because I will be able to go back to work & I can't wait.
Unfortunatly, I have developed a bad toothache & have suffered terrible pain for over a month.

I cannot afford to go to the dentist & have exhausted every way that I know to try to get help.
I can't even speak right & will not be able to go on any interview like this.
Even St. Vincent De Paul is so strapped that they have a once a month lottery for help to see a dentist that give you a 1 in 5 chance.

I was told that I can only get the help if it turns into a serious medical condition. Sepsis, heart or kidney problems.
I have even e-mailed the Governors office to ask if I could go to the jail & see their dentist.
(if you are in jail here, you can get help for a toothache)
I was told to go to AHCCCS knowing that they cannot pay for dentists anymore.

I want to leave Phoenix as soon as I can afford to because I don't want to live in a place that will care for prisoners in jail but, not give any help to someone who is trying to get back on their feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area